• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Between TBS and flight school

Raptor2216

If flight school is backed up as it is right now, will uncle sam still pay you even though you are technically doing nothing? Is it possible to go get a civilian job(just to pass time) during the delay?

phrogpilot73

And you'll probably get tapped for a "stash" job. I was stashed at Leatherneck company, TBS and had to teach Midshipman. A buddy was stashed at HMX-1. You don't get paid for nothing...

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Well, I really got paid for nothing down here in Pensacola while I was waiting. But, I did get a chance to get my gray belt and I was also on the funeral detail, which I must say was quite an experience. It was definitely humbling and I was proud to get the chance to send off some of our veterans in the right way.

KBayDog

Even if you aren't given a stash job, don't waste the time. There are any number of productive things you could do to help pass the time in a constructive manner.

(That said, ENJOY your time off - this is likely the last time in your career that you will have weeks/months off with no responsibilities whatsoever.)

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
You don't get paid for nothing...

I beg to differ, there are times when you will indeed be paid for doing jack and $hit, but as was already mentioned, enjoy it. The Marine Corps will get what's coming to it one way or another. Don't ever feel like you're getting one over on the Marines if you don't even go to work every once in a while, early in your training. Take that time to enjoy the things you like the most. Be in formation when you're supposed to. Don't piss anyone off, but when you're off, Golf! Or do whatever floats your boat. You'll know when you're paying it back, trust me, but it all comes out even in the end. In fact the Marine Corps will take more than her share back but it'll be made up in other less tangible rewards.

Not sure if anyone answered this part already but yes I've seen guys get second jobs.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
I've known Lts. that got TAD to Fleet Squadrons. I don't know what they did, but it must have beat staying at TBS longer than usual (for Leatherneck or Protramid. No offense to those who did those duties).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMCBebop said:
I've known Lts. that got TAD to Fleet Squadrons. I don't know what they did, but it must have beat staying at TBS longer than usual (for Leatherneck or Protramid. No offense to those who did those duties).

Unless you want to be stuck in a sea of 2/Lts running around Quantico (I had friends painting ammo cans and sticking them out inf the woods for months), I recommend you make contact with a squadron or staff away from TBS to get them to "host" or request you. An SLJO at an active duty or reserve squadron can usually get lots of couching and maybe some simulator or even flight time (depending on airframe). Might have to suck up some costs of getting there. There are some interesting staff organizations at Quantico loaded with aviators (MCCDC or MCWL) or DC Air in Pentagon.

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
Do you get any say in what you do while you wait? Or do you just get what they give? Brad is having visions of the platoon full of guys that were pretending they were crazy to try and get sent home that he was stuck in before his MOS class opened up. Is that gonna happen?

Raptor2216

There is one Lt. at the local OSO's office here doing PTAD and he is already done with TBS. He told me that you just need permission from the OSO to come and do PTAD if you have time off after TBS.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
MOST Marines do nothing. I did. All (READ: ALL) of my friends did. They had a ban on McMap training, so we couldn't even get our belts for fear of someone getting hurt. So I went to the pool, and the beach almost every day. And learned that Pensacola has about 100 people who go out that are non-military....and you see those same people everywhere. But that is a different story...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
SemperGumbi said:
And learned that Pensacola has about 100 people who go out that are non-military....and you see those same people everywhere. But that is a different story...

Sounds like groupies...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
P_ubhi18 said:
There is one Lt. at the local OSO's office here doing PTAD and he is already done with TBS. He told me that you just need permission from the OSO to come and do PTAD if you have time off after TBS.

One note of caution on this...while I agree it is a great deal I would say that I have known some who got screwed out of starting when they should have and had to wait as long as 6 months late and are now at the tail end of their class...

If you do happen to get stuck in Pcola then be VISIBLE...volunteer for things and it will get noticed. I went into the office at least every other day just to get the scoop and ask questions and stood duty twice within 2 weeks because they needed someone. I started API within 2 weeks of my last duty, overall wait time 2.5 months. Average wait time for the rest of the people in my class 5-6 months.

Trust me, it is worth it to get started, you will work your a$$ off during training and won't get as much time off but there are other benefits. Like getting into the cockpit earlier...and more...