• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Better get to the airport earlier! TSA long lines

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How many of you have TSA Pre-check or Global Entry? I have noticed that the lines seem to be getting longer and longer at the airport, every time I breeze by. Even the lines at the TSA pre-check are getting backed up at both large and smaller airports. What a surprise to see that TSA manning has decreased, just in time for the summer surge in flying. Have fun out there, and don't miss your flight! :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...airports-calling-out-tsa-long-lines/81532494/

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I do a fair amount of traveling in my current job and have noticed that not only are the TSA employees getting fewer, but also in a lot of cases stupider - and so are the passengers. There should be three security lanes:

1. You're a velcro shoe wearing window licker who is excited to get on the big vroom vroom - you go over here...it's a padded room with cattle prods.

2. You have been to an airport since 9/11 and realize that you should have an ID and should not have a gun, but you also don't see anything wrong with your national finals rodeo belt buckle or your "blade" - you go over there... it's a room with big windows so the people in group three can point and laugh.

3. You travel at least six times a year and the only threat you pose is to the the people in groups 1 and 2 - you go in here, there is scotch waiting.

Last edited:

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
So for those on AD, you are eligible to get the AMEX Platinum yearly fee waived. Once you have said AMEX Platinum, they will reimburse the fees for the Global Entry. Thus, even if you aren't traveling on orders and feel awkward putting your DODID number in for TSA Pre-Check, you are covered. Authorized users (think spouses) of the AMEX Platinum can also get the Global Entry fee reimbursed thus allowing you to BOTH breeze through Pre-Check at airports.

While you are at it, use your AMEX Platinum to sing up for Boingo wireless. It is free and you get free internet at airports. Yay WiFi! (this message brought to you by Boingo wireless at PVD). At other, larger airports, the lounge access is spotty. Priority Pass is great, but doesn't work the way it used to. Still, when there is a lounge it is wonderful to get away from the hoi poloi of people traveling who don't seem to understand how to do so efficiently. Oh, and get the Emerald Executive level membership with National/Enterprise Rental Cars. Do you know how amazing it is to completely skip the counter and pick any car you want? Amazing. Then you go and stay at a Starwood or Hilton hotel where your AMEX platinum has upgraded your membership to Gold level and enjoy the perks there. Yup, I am a HUGE fan of this card.

**Yes, I am a travel snob. I have done enough travel for my civilian jobs that nothing frustrates me more than people who don't plan ahead for air travel.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Known, mother effin crew member.
That is all
Airport employee badges would be even quicker. Except for the whole "can't use it to actually get on an airplane without committing a Federal felony" detail. About all I got out of mine was expanded lunch options and the opportunity to potentially get run over by a speeding baggage truck in the bagwell . . .

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I've been meaning to get signed up for Global Entry, via Amex Platinum. It's on my list of shit to do while we are in the States, but we are running out of time. Damn.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been meaning to get signed up for Global Entry, via Amex Platinum. It's on my list of shit to do while we are in the States, but we are running out of time. Damn.
Global entry is worth it. I use it almost daily for my job. Record is twice in one day! Very very rarely have people with mobile passport beaten me through customs. If you arrive at a major airport when a couple 777s and a 380 have landed, then there are some seriously backed up lines trying to get back in the old us of a. Well worth it.