• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best uniform for getting married?

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Down with the tradtional roles of the woman being the birth giver and staying at home! Send her off to work! What do you think Cate?
I think it completely depends on the couple. If they both want to have kids, and she wants to stay home with them, and he's comfortable being the sole breadwinner, and they're both comfortable living in the lifestyle that a single salary can accommodate, they should go for it. If they both want to have kids, and she wants to go back to work once they have kids, and he's willing to make whatever contributions to the childrearing are necessary to support that move, they should go for it. If they don't want to have kids at all, and she wants to go off to work as a trauma surgeon and he wants to stay at home writing his screenplay, and they're both happy with that, they should go for it.

The problem only comes when they want different things - when she wants to stay at home and he feels like he's doing all the work, when she wants to work and he feels emasculated by the implication that he can't support the family, when she never wanted kids but she had them because he did (or vice versa), etc. And that's solved by a little bit of communication. If you go ahead and get married because you're soooo in love without discussing (or telling the truth about) the fact that she wants to stay at home with twelve kids and he wants one kid and a partner in the breadwinning, then yeah, you're going to be miserable. If you're looking for different things in life, being sooooo in love is still a crappy reason to get married.

hawkmech

A smelly mechanic
I'd wear my green coveralls (worn at half-mast, of course), a three-day-old beard, and an unfastened cranial just kinda sitting on top of my head.

MasterBates

Why do I start having this image of Cate.

CharlieBrownPsychiatrist.jpg

Did you enjoy pulling the football away from Chuck?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
and no cake smearing, even if your bride seems to indicate she's okay with it - that's just tacky
Hell, my wife smeared cake all over my face at our wedding. I was not planning to do any smearing, but she fired the first shot. After that, it was fire for effect. John can attest to the sequence of events and how they played out.

brownshoe

Contributor
If you're marrying someone who wants to spend three months' worth of your money on your wedding, wouldn't that indicate that maybe you've made the wrong choice of bride?

And here's a bit of insight that'll probably get my Woman Card revoked. A woman gets a big, expensive, foofy wedding for one of two reasons: a) She's really materialistic and wants everyone to know what a princess she is, or b) she's getting pressure from her family/friends/colleagues/etc. to have a huge wedding while she'd rather just go to Vegas and be done with it. I've personally known both types of bride, and while the second reason may seem like a bit of a cop-out, the pressure that a woman can get from people who wonder why she doesn't want a white dress/400 guests/her husband's last name/kids/a horse-drawn carriage can be immense. Materialism is criticized; nontraditionalism is flat-out demonized.

There is actually another kind of woman who's looking for a small, intimate wedding, a JOP wedding, or even an elopement. If that's your preference, you should probably look for that kind of woman, instead of looking for a princess and then wondering why she wants a big wedding.

As long as there is a “threadjack” in progress I thought I’d add my two cents. Like Cate says she may be “really materialistic and wants everyone to know what a princess she is.” Heh… my neighbor married one of those… Too late for him, they have two kids, he’s paid off her student loans and he has government retirement. (NIH Bethesda.) She ain’t gonna let go and if he wants to “beat feet” it’ll cost him big time. She doesn’t work, spends most of her time on her cell phone and of course spending money, ah the stories I’ve been told. I won’t share them here… gruesome and very graphic.

Last winter after a really bad snow storm when I went out to head for the office the “neighbor” was trying to shovel his car out so he could go to work. Me… no big deal just put the Tahoe in 4-wheel drive and I’m gone. I said “ Hey the government has liberal leave today… what are you doing?” He just looked up and said, “You don’t think I want to stay here all day do you?” What a life!? And all for a trophy wife, me well I’d have to duct tape her mouth shut. (That sound about right MB?) :) However I must say if you have the right one it’ll be great. Just like any important mission, do your research and plan ahead. Sooo wear what she asks you to wear.;)

Welp I’m off for a beer and a steak dinner. Cooking it myself. I divorced my “millstone” awhile back.

Steve