• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best time to head to API with ACL rehab?

vmijalapeno

Thump Thump Thump Thump...
None
Hey all,
We just got our possible start dates for API, (First Friday of each month starting in SEP until DEC). I had ACL reconstruction surgery in FEB and am having my commision delayed until early AUG. Rehab is going well but I want to be 100% before I head down there. Would I sit there waiting when I could be working more on rehab at my ROTC unit where I have an established trainer? Staying at my unit (VMI) dosen't bother me but I don't want to waste time if I can get into training. Any help (current updates of the pipeline)/advice is greatly appreciated and also if anyone has torn an ACL knee injury and ran into any trouble at API I am curious. Thanks!

-pb

JonDW7

If I were you, I would push coming down here off as far as possible. You need to have your knee healed before API. I've had two knee surgeries, and running the chip trail for the PRT sucked big time. I pushed it, and passed with time to spare, but my knee hurt for a long time after the PRT on that stupid chip trail. I would stick with your physical therapist back home and make sure that you are completely healed, especially with everything being so cut-throat down here right now.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
you won't get the waiver until you're 100% and asymptomatic. Until then, it's likely you won't commission.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Also, API is backed WAY the hell up and Primary hasn't started new classes for 4 weeks now... I wouldn't worry too much about trying to start ASAP.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You got a report date, not an API class up date.

+1

They're just trying to stagger you getting down here with those report dates. You're class up date is based on weeks on board and everything being good to go in your Aviation Training Jacket (NKO, DIVOLC, Flight Gear, AND, most importantly for you, NAMI Upchit). Then you get to wait around like the hundreds of other ensigns and wait for your number to get called. Right now, that's tracking to be 30 week on board. So suffice to say, you'll have a ton of time down here to rehab if you so desire to do so. I'm sure between NAMI and the Hospital, they have physical therapy to help you out.

vmijalapeno

Thump Thump Thump Thump...
None
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I knew about the report date/class start difference but thanks for clarrifyling. I am able to submit my packet to the medical board August 8th (6 months post surgery which is normal recovery time for ACL) but I'll go ahead and delay reporting until later in the year to make sure everything is 100%. BIG TIME HELP!
-pb

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Caution...old info below...may be outdated

I had a scope prior to API back in the day (1994). They saw it in my record and singled me out. At one of the med screens they made me do deep knee bends and duck walk. I smiled to hide the pain and quacked jokingly to cover up the loud crunching sound from my knee.

I had an ACL replaced in 2003 while a primary IP. The flight surgeon (a close friend) made me do single legged squats and duck walk. I passed but full throw on the rudder for a slip in the T-34 was a bitch initially.

I can't imagine going through API within a year of my ACL repair. I am/was fairly active and I specifically remember stressing my knee during several API evolutions...chip trail and obstacle course were tough but to this day I can't frog kick properly and I only pass swim phys (strokes) because I am already winged. I recommend adding the swim strokes to the later part of your rehab to hit those muscles too.

JonDW7

Caution...old info below...may be outdated

I had a scope prior to API back in the day (1994). They saw it in my record and singled me out. At one of the med screens they made me do deep knee bends and duck walk. I smiled to hide the pain and quacked jokingly to cover up the loud crunching sound from my knee.

I had an ACL replaced in 2003 while a primary IP. The flight surgeon (a close friend) made me do single legged squats and duck walk. I passed but full throw on the rudder for a slip in the T-34 was a bitch initially.

I can't imagine going through API within a year of my ACL repair. I am/was fairly active and I specifically remember stressing my knee during several API evolutions...chip trail and obstacle course were tough but to this day I can't frog kick properly and I only pass swim phys (strokes) because I am already winged. I recommend adding the swim strokes to the later part of your rehab to hit those muscles too.

Definitely not outdated. I've played the single leg squat game too, and the chip trail really sucked. NAMI will definitely look at your knee, and will probably make you do something to "prove" that it is healed. It simply isn't worth the risk to come down here early and tear up your knee or be NPQ'ed.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
The chip trail you speak of, the one by the track? And do you do anything besides run the PRT on it for API?

JonDW7

Yes. It's the one by the track, near the pool. We just had our PRT on it, and did our other runs on the track. Our PRT was after about a week of rain too, so add in sliding around in mud/wood chips to the already awesome trail, and you will see why I have been saying to have your knee at 100%.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Yes. It's the one by the track, near the pool. We just had our PRT on it, and did our other runs on the track. Our PRT was after about a week of rain too, so add in sliding around in mud/wood chips to the already awesome trail, and you will see why I have been saying to have your knee at 100%.

Roger that. Running part is good for me, now back to more situps...grr...

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Six months seems so far. Just tore my ACL playing a stupid intramural basketball game back on Jan. 20th, just had surgery 3 weeks ago today. Nothing like being med down for the next six months and standing watch everyday. Just stay at your unit unless you enjoy an infinite amount of watch, everything's backed up anyway.

D-Roc

LTJG
WOW!! I just tore my acl too. I'm down here in Pensacola right now. I was just playing a basketball game at the gym and landed wrong on my knee. The doc said I can't get surgery till May 24th!!! I had my up chit and everything. I was just waiting to class up. I hope this isn't gonna kick me out of the program. Any words of encouragement??? Everyone that I have talked to (XO, CO, Flight Surgeon) said that I will be fine and not to worry about it but I'm still worried.

magnetfreezer

WOW!! I just tore my acl too. I'm down here in Pensacola right now. I was just playing a basketball game at the gym and landed wrong on my knee. The doc said I can't get surgery till May 24th!!! I had my up chit and everything. I was just waiting to class up. I hope this isn't gonna kick me out of the program. Any words of encouragement??? Everyone that I have talked to (XO, CO, Flight Surgeon) said that I will be fine and not to worry about it but I'm still worried.

Knew a guy that tore his ACL in intramural football right after intermediate. They just kept him in advanced pool till he was ready 6 months later.