• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best six generation jet fighter engine choice for UK

copawldi

Banned
The UK has ambitions to design their own sixth generation aircraft. Now, no matter your thoughts on the plausibility of their final efforts, they do have a serious advantage when it comes to jet propulsion (the country that invented it after all).

They can go with two options: the proposed Rolls Royce Embedded Electrical Starter Generator (E2SG) engine, of which is to power onboard direct energy weapons. Or, a Rolls Royce spin-off engineering team's efforts, the scram jet Sabre engine, which can theoretically reach above Mach 20 speeds in no atmosphere, or push right past Mach 5 (Hypersonic threshold) speeds in an atmosphere.

Which is more important to a sixth generation fighter when up against peer a nation(s). Will is be the SR-71's ability to not be touched i.e. speed of evasion, or to power directed energy weapons on demand, i.e. kinetic power ?

These questions assume that there will only be a single model built.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s an....interesting first post. I’d recommend filling out your profile with a bit more information if you’d like answers that aren’t completely sarcastic.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The UK has ambitions to design their own sixth generation aircraft. Now, no matter your thoughts on the plausibility of their final efforts, they do have a serious advantage when it comes to jet propulsion (the country that invented it after all).

They can go with two options: the proposed Rolls Royce Embedded Electrical Starter Generator (E2SG) engine, of which is to power onboard direct energy weapons. Or, a Rolls Royce spin-off engineering team's efforts, the scram jet Sabre engine, which can theoretically reach above Mach 20 speeds in no atmosphere, or push right past Mach 5 (Hypersonic threshold) speeds in an atmosphere.

Which is more important to a sixth generation fighter when up against peer a nation(s). Will is be the SR-71's ability to not be touched i.e. speed of evasion, or to power directed energy weapons on demand, i.e. kinetic power ?

In my professional opinion...Zombie Hoover would simply fuck that thing up.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Inventing a thing does not give you a de facto advantage 100 years later. Directed energy weapons - LOL. Your post is absurd.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
My first thought after reading the OP's post was: "Well by that logic, I guess Abner Doubleday was the best ballplayer ever and New Yorkers retain that title today."

Doubleday had the best exit velo of his day and had unparalleled launch angle, for his time. But you're right, it shouldn't translate to the Yankees or Mets

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

It's definitely going to be directed energy weapons. We're going to need to have a full compliment of phasers and proton torpedoes if we're going to effectively compete with near peer threats like the Klingons and Romulans. Heck, both of them have cloaking technology, so we will likely need to up our sensor capabilities to be able to detect their warships. This is really an elementary discussion that every serious military personnel would understand and grasp. I really don't know why you're even asking the question. . . :rolleyes:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still, those Trolley Dodgers were a fine club before they moved to the other coast.
References you hear every day that once were obvious and now aren’t. Sort of like the Lakers being the Lakers because they used to be in Minneapolis.