• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Route

maxlife

Hi, I have a younger brother hoping to fly for the Coast Guard someday and I am seeking some advice. What do you think would be the best route to a USCG plot slot, go to CG OCS and apply there (very competitive from what everyone says to even get in to OCS) and if not picked go do your first billet and keep on applying OR go through the Army warrant program do your 6 year duty obligation and then apply for a DCA slot at the CG? Both of the above are very tough and competitive routes with lots of stumbling blocks along the way. Just would like some input from y'all.
Thanks

Brunes

pilot
In general: Life is what happens while you are making plans....so I could see your brother ending up in a Army career and not wanting to change because of $ or location or family or not having the options to change because of Army or CG limitations on accepting new pilots from the inter-service pipeline.

I don't think I've heard of someone applying to more than 3 flight school selection boards-That's 1.5 to 2 years in another job before getting picked up. I would have your bro focus on getting into the CG and then focus on getting into flight school...

maxlife

Good info....thanks

In general: Life is what happens while you are making plans....so I could see your brother ending up in a Army career and not wanting to change because of $ or location or family or not having the options to change because of Army or CG limitations on accepting new pilots from the inter-service pipeline.

I don't think I've heard of someone applying to more than 3 flight school selection boards-That's 1.5 to 2 years in another job before getting picked up. I would have your bro focus on getting into the CG and then focus on getting into flight school...

Thanks that is good info to pass on. He knows the hard part will be getting in to USCG OCS. Hopefully his strong work will carry him to a flight slot. What is the earliest one can apply for a flight school out of OCS? Is there a certain billet that is best to help an application? Is a billet that requires a lot of training a negative meaning we put a lot into you so you need to stay here? Again thanks for any and all info.

Brunes

pilot
Thanks that is good info to pass on. He knows the hard part will be getting in to USCG OCS. Hopefully his strong work will carry him to a flight slot. What is the earliest one can apply for a flight school out of OCS? Is there a certain billet that is best to help an application? Is a billet that requires a lot of training a negative meaning we put a lot into you so you need to stay here? Again thanks for any and all info.

There have been billets right out of OCS to flight school for the past year running as far as I know...Several of the folks who started the program at the same time I did were fresh from OCS.

No specific first tour billet will make you more or less marketable to flight school and there is no JO job that will take too long to train into that you can't get fligh, imo.
JO tours in the Coast Guard are meant to teach you skills as a division officer/administrator and give you a taste of as many of the jobs and situations you are likely to encounter. Example: I had 12+ collateral duties including 3 different divisions-20 people total, was an Education Services O, Urinalysis O, Law Enforcement Coordinator, Health Program Coordinator, XO's Special Assistant (earned that one...being a dumb JO), ships store custodian, welcome board coordinator and some silly less important ones. I'm not even close to an expert at ANY of those- but I got to see A LOT of stuff and work with all of the crew on regular basis.

GFTC

pilot
If your brother wants to fly for the CG he can get an air contract through the Blue-21 program. Here's the catch. Along with being physically and academically qualified, he also would need to graduate from a college with a minority population of at least 25% (not including international students). If he doesn't go to a school that qualifies, he might be able to game the system and just transfer to a qualifying school for his last semester or two. All the info can be found on the CG web site as well as a list of qualifying schools. Good luck.