• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Place to Live in Pcola

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Hey Guys,
Quick question: I am heading down to P-cola in middle November and am starting to look for a place to live. Any suggestions on where would be best. I am looking for a one bedroom and I don't want to spend more than 500 a month plus utilities. Let me know what you think.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've seen, under $500 you won't find the greatest places. Are you designated an SNA? If you are and you go to Whiting field and are single, you will be living in the BOQ once you report to Primary. Keep that in mind...

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I am an SNFO so I will be in PCOLA for at least a little while. Where should I be looking during my househunting leave?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
oh ok, SNFO you are good to go. You even PCS. I know it's above your range, but check out Crystal Lake Apartments. It's 7680 West Highway 98. I live there, as well as a few other SNAs and SNFOs. It's $595/month for a two bedroom, two bathroom, basically brand new apartment. It's great. I live alone, the extra space is awesome.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plus, your BAH is $644 if single. That more than covers it.

Dave Shutter

NFO's usually get beachhouses in Perdido (out the P-cola back gate) and have boat docks in their backyards and watch the sunset on the bay every night from their hottubs. Pilots (Whiting Field) can choose between living in the Milton boondocks surrounded by vacant strip malls or a long haul to/from work everyday if they live closer to civilization. Remember, every platform has it's perks.

savingthisone

Dave:

Perdido Key sounds great. Hot Tub better. Sunsets wowser! Bring it on!

Am SNFO on the way. What cost the Beachfront and how do you find them, i mean, do you have tel number or other means to contact? Micro level advice?

Thanks ..

Dupe

I've got a nice house with two other guys in the Gulf Beach area. Its nice. We found it through Beumer Reality. They rent out alot to SNA types. (850)492-0446

Dave Shutter

Patmack...um, I'm an SNA. That was me being bitter.

Saving...please don't say 'Wowser' again. Anyway, my post was just a few examples. You can live wherever you want, but if you drive to NAS P-cola everyday (NFO) Perdido beachhouses are close by. There's an endless choice of places to live here. You can get a nice one bedroom for yourself or rent a giant house w/3 car garage, pool, hottub etc. with 2 or 3 friends and split the bills. The latter will actually save you money but having roomates has it's ups and downs. Whatever you want you can generally find it down here. Do a web-search for P-cola real estate, should give you an idea.

unfUSN

I'm pretty much fresh off the boat from Japan, SNFO sitting in A-pool... can anyone get me a number to an angent in perdido key, or recomend a few places to check out?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Those beach houses in Perdido sound great. How much do they cost to rent? Should I even be looking now considering I don't hit Pcola until November or should I just wait until October or so? Let me know guys.

jaerose

OK, can a SNA, or already-winged NA give me an estimate of how much time you actually spend at NAS and Whiting? For example, API only at NAS, then all flights at Whiting, or even approximate percentages of time spent at each location would be helpful. Thanks.

JR

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was at API for just the normal workday (730 to 1600). I would come and go to Mainside before API as required (PT, physical, admin stuff) but we did have to muster everyday in person. At Whiting, it would range from some very long days during ground school (studying and reviewing EPs in the sims) to a nomral work day. Once you start flying, and can really vary from day to day, depending on how much studying you have to do, what CBTs you need to finish, and what flight events you're scheduled for. The beauty of all this is that when you start flying, you're not supposed to be there more than 12 hours. Usually that wasn't ever a problem except when skeds didn't do you any favors...
icon_smile_wink.gif

jaerose

OK, but do you go back and forth between NAS and Milton the whole time, or is API basically at NAS and then Primary at Whiting? If you live near NAS, for instance, would you be good to go during API, but then have to drive 45 minutes to Whiting everyday for Primary when you start, or do you split time between the two?

JR

rare21

pilot
Contributor
DO NOT live at Austinwood Apts. I'm sure that some folks like it but this is from my experience. Rent is kind of ridiculous (paying 200 bucks less now for a bigger place), they put huge speed bumps that they say you wont even feel a jolt at 15 mph but the stuff in my trunk flew and hit the top at 5 mph, they screwed me out of 2 weeks rent while i wasn't even living there, they say that i still owe rent even though my bank already tells me they cashed the check, they wont send a rental receipt so I can get my per diem (due to the rent that I already freaking paid so in essence they're still screwing me out of money), and they will charge for every little dang thing. Just a good word of advice from one SNA to another DONT LIVE AT AUSTINWOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.