• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best path to take to become an astronaut?

Sonog

pilot
Go for it man. Worst that happens is that you wind up with an awesome degree or end up flying awesome machines of death and destruction.

As for the G's or fear of flying or whatever, unless your genetics are jacked up its all probably mind over matter so go to your local amusement park, throw in a big dip of copenhagen and start riding the rides until you puke your guts out. You'll either get over it or be scarred for life. YMMV, this is probably awful advice, don't listen to me. Or do. Point is we've all been there with big dreams and wasted so much time and effort "worrying" about the "what ifs" if we don't make it. Kick ass at everything you do, strive to your goals, and don't close any doors or burn any bridges.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also, even civilian 'strohs will have to pull Gs, ride the centrifuge

To be fair, pretty sure the astronauts of the Shuttle era did a max of 3G (orbiter structural limits) and did that while laying on their backs. So not really what most of us did during our centrifuge rides for Navy FW aircraft. I'm sure that could change, but that was what the folks @ the Wyle centrifuge told us during my most recent ride last year.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair, pretty sure the astronauts of the Shuttle era did a max of 3G (orbiter structural limits) and did that while laying on their backs. So not really what most of us did during our centrifuge rides for Navy FW aircraft. I'm sure that could change, but that was what the folks @ the Wyle centrifuge told us during my most recent ride last year.

They still do a significant amount of training in the T-38 though, enough so that NASA is retaining its fleet after an extensive outside review whether they should or not.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
If you want a great book about what it takes to get there, read Riding Rockets by Col. Mike Mullane. Although his info would be a little dated (he was selected in the 1978 Astronaut Group) a lot of it is still applicable and he gives a hilarious but at the same time sobering look into the life of a military aviator and astronaut.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Graduating from Purdue has been a common denominator among many Astronauts in NASA - so aspirationally you are off to a good start. Also, some of the Navy's most successful Astronauts have been helicopter pilots, (and even a '46 driver).

Graduate college, gain a commission through any number of officer accession paths, become a rated pilot in something - those are your first "to-do"'s.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Do we have any NASA guys on AW's? I know we have a U-2 guy, an Admiral, and the occasional P-3 driver...any OV drivers?

Renegade One

None
...Also, some of the Navy's most successful Astronauts have been helicopter pilots, (and even a '46 driver).
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but how do you define "successful astronaut"? Most number of days in space? Most space missions? Number of hatches that "just blew" <1?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They still do a significant amount of training in the T-38 though, enough so that NASA is retaining its fleet after an extensive outside review whether they should or not.

True, and I was just talking to the centrifuge specifically. I wonder how often the MS/PS's backseat in the -38, if they have currency requirements, or if it is personal preference.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True, and I was just talking to the centrifuge specifically. I wonder how often the MS/PS's backseat in the -38, if they have currency requirements, or if it is personal preference.

There was a recent outside review if NASA should retain their T-38's and their value in training MS's was cited several times in the report, with the speed and realism of practicing procedures in the aircraft noted by several MS's in helping deal with real emergencies. So apparently it is part of the training curriculum for MS's, how much I don't know.

jmcquate

Contributor
I worked at JSC in the mid 90s. The centrifuge was long gone (the centrifuge building housed the 0g training facility, aka great big pool). I got to spend a lot of time at Ellington Field working with maintenance records and the T-38 ramp was a busy place. They were used to keep the pilots/mission commanders proficient and the MS to learn how to perform in a military crew environment. They were also how the crews shuttled back and forth between Houston, the Cape and Huntsville.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
1. Know Russian
2. Have a degree in StEM.
3. Be comfortable being uncomfortable

Your best bet is to be a Naval Aviator and go to TPS. Baby steps first but it's good to have a plan.

D

Deleted user cNaut

Sounds good, thanks for all the advice/insight guys. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I realize that manning up and just exposing myself to some high Gs will be my biggest problem, but I'm willing to do it. I'll probably take some flying lessons this summer and get LASIK in a matter of 2 years. Also, forgot to mention, that I'm fluent in Russian (reading/writing as well) as my dad was from the former Soviet Union haha (he was part of the Soviet Air Force).