• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval or Marine Corp Air Bases?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
NAS North Island in San Diego, CA.

I was a Q rat there (1988-1992)...which was sort of cool because the Q was brand new at the time and it had that "new Q smell"...but what was really cool was that the World Famous I Bar was less than 100 yards away in the old Q. That place was bunches of fun...but do not put your cover on the bar or touch any of the model aircraft suspended from the ceiling. I wonder if the World Famous I Bar is still there.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where are some of the better ones you guys have been based at? Just curious.
Best base for liberty: The former NAS Alameda, CA. Off base liberty in the Bay Area in San Francisco/Oakland. Major professional, and college sports teams. Outstanding cultural events, and night life. The Alameda O-Club was fantastic... their Friday night "H-hour was epic, famous throughout the Navy & USAF, with the transient parking area was loaded every weekend.:D Having CVs home-ported at the same base as their Airwing was very handy. All in all, my most favorite Air Base ever, a shame it was closed.:(

Best base for operations: NAS Lemoore, CA. The newest major military airbase in the country, opened in July 1962 after 4 years of construction. ultra-modern facilities including twin 13.5k' parallel runways, high-speed refueling pits, 7 huge modern hangars. Great base housing/admin area 7 miles distant from operations area, for noise reduction. Base is zoned "green belted", so that housing/retail development can never pose encroachment problems (which put Moffett & Alameda on the chopping block, and threaten Whidbey & Oceana). Hot in summer, but 10 mo/yr great flying WX. The 2 mo. 'foggy' near WOXOF season, makes our VFA Hornet jocks the most proficient instrument military pilots... arguably!:p Military-friendly civilians, great place to raise a family, but admittedly, liberty/night life sucks for bachelors, but there's Bay area/SF & LA/SanDogg for weekend libs.:)

*And no airbase anywhere... has any place that rocks like Jack Stone's Barn, the AirPac version of the late Trader Jon's!:D
BzB

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
NAS Patuxent River... Oh wait, nm. To be honest, I liked Whidbey and if you like the outdoors it's a great area.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Whidbey == God's country. Period. Dot.

I miss the flying out there. Go VFR straights or you could hit up the mountains and tool around them for awhile. Beautiful scenery and if the weather sucked, you go go to Eastern Washington and it'd be clear there, or head south to Eugene.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
C'mon. Miramar. Hands down.
Say what?

Back in the late 80's and early 90's...whenever we (helo guys from NASNI) would go to the O Club at Miramar for Wednesday (or was it Thursday?) ladies night, I would get cock blocked by some jet guy.

Boo.

:(

brownshoe

Contributor
Cecil, JAX and Yuma (Yuma yummies and San Luis). But then this was back in the 60's. :D F'ing hated Norfolk (loved the Indy, just hated Norfolk).

Last edited:

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Loved Cecil for the history and the jets - Pax was great from an area standpoint. Forty minute drive north to downtown DC and all the things to see there rocked.