• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Rescue Dawn sucked @ss! There was very little flying in the movie. The flying in Behind Enemy Lines was better than Rescue Dawn. (And before people start on me for that movie, it sucked @ss too!)

Gotta concur with everyone who's said Bridges of Toko-Ri. You have Grace Kelly who was uber-babe of the 1950's, Power Projection and finally Combat SAR (although it was Mikey Rooney wearing a stupid top hat!)

Attachments

• GraceKelly2..jpg
    GraceKelly2..jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 50394553..jpg
    50394553..jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 55

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Here is one about the Navy that bought us the angled deck, steam catapult, and fresnel lenses, then abandoned it all to fly Harriers. :)

Sink_the_Bismarck_poster.jpg

Nothing like flying into a battleship's flak at a breathtaking 100 kts in a biplane.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Here are several more I had never heard of before I started digging:

Flat Top (1952)

Task Force (1949, starring Gary Cooper)

Check them out in IMDB.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Beginning

Anyone here seen Little Dieter Needs to Fly? It's about a A-1 pilot who was shot down over Laos and escaped from a Vietamese prison camp. I saw it about a month ago. It was interesting.
I was in VA-146 on RANGER when Dieter Dengler went down, believe it was on our first day of combat up north...what a day! Our Skipper CDR Hubert Loheed was shot down (KIA) that day, as was LCDR "Syl" Chumley (VA-55) & rescued from Dong Hoi harbor. We knew then it was gonna be a looong cruise and it was.:hot_125:
BzB

Best Naval Aviation Movies. IMHO.

1: The Final Countdown
2: Bridges at Toko-Ri
3: The Great Santini
4: Flight of the Intruder
5: Dive Bomber (Great footage, plot sux)

Worst

1: Rescue Dawn
2: Behind Enemy Lines
3: Pearl Harbor

Always good for a laugh:

Hot Shots
Top Gun

It also helped that Grace Kelly was a supposed nymphomaniac.

Never heard that before...but good to know.

Yankee Uniform Tango
I don't get the hate behind "Rescue Dawn"; I thought it was pretty damn good, even though it diverged from the real life account in some instances.

And you gotta love the opening:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was in VA-146 on RANGER when Dieter Dengler went down, believe it was on our first day of combat up north...what a day! Our Skipper CDR Hubert Loheed was shot down (KIA) that day, as was LCDR "Syl" Chumley (VA-55) & rescued from Dong Hoi harbor. We knew then it was gonna be a looong cruise and it was.:hot_125:
BzB

Did you know Dengler? I didn't, although I heard one of his briefs long ago. I know his preparation, escape, evasion, and rescue were incredible. And he has a number of admirers here who have commented most favorably about him on other, older threads. But I also got the impression he was a really strange dude. Maybe a loose cannon. Yes? No? I have long been curious about that.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I don't get the hate behind "Rescue Dawn"; I thought it was pretty damn good, even though it diverged from the real life account in some instances.

And you gotta love the opening:

Agreed. Strongly. I thought it was a great movie. Sure, most of the movie isn't about flying, so there aren't a lot of aerial combat shots, but in terms of quality films involving Naval Aviation, I'd say it's up there. And anyone who thinks Behind Enemy Lines or Pearl Harbor are better movies...well, you're clearly gay, I think we all know that. :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Did you know Dengler? I didn't, although I heard one of his briefs long ago. I know his preparation, escape, evasion, and rescue were incredible. And he has a number of admirers here who have commented most favorably about him on other, older threads. But I also got the impression he was a really strange dude. Maybe a loose cannon. Yes? No? I have long been curious about that.

My Grand Dad almost strangled the life out of little Dieter at the Alameda O club after he was so shitfaced that he wouldn't stop singing "What's new Pussycat" for the umpteenth time.
I think this was 1964 or 65. Dieter was evidently kicked out of the club that night.

edit: Adm Morrison, (Jim's Dad) was the one that was getting uber pissed, BTW.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CatMan

I knew him casually and only for a few months as I joined VA-146 just prior to our deployment in Dec. '65. He went down in Feb. '66. Never pulled liberty with him. The one thing I remember is that his Squadronmates thought it weird that he always wore civvies under his combat flight attire. Almost like "he had a premonition" that he might have to escape & evade:confused:
BzB

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I knew him casually and only for a few months as I joined VA-146 just prior to our deployment in Dec. '65. He went down in Feb. '66. Never pulled liberty with him. The one thing I remember is that his Squadronmates thought it weird that he always wore civvies under his combat flight attire. Almost like "he had a premonition" that he might have to escape & evade:confused:
BzB

Civvies? Like civilian clothing? I don't know how much good bermuda shorts and a hawaiian shirt would do you in Vietnam. Pajamas and one of those conehats, maybe, but then you roll into the whole "not wearing a uniform issue," whatever that was worth to an opponent not following the rules. Not to mention the paucity of 6-foot-tall white guys working in the rice paddies?

Not doubting, just wondering, because that seems really strange. A set of cammies under the flight suit would make more sense than civvies. Uncomfortable, yes, but more logical.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Civvies? Like civilian clothing? I don't know how much good bermuda shorts and a hawaiian shirt would do you in Vietnam. Pajamas and one of those conehats, maybe, but then you roll into the whole "not wearing a uniform issue," whatever that was worth to an opponent not following the rules. Not to mention the paucity of 6-foot-tall white guys working in the rice paddies?

Not doubting, just wondering, because that seems really strange. A set of cammies under the flight suit would make more sense than civvies. Uncomfortable, yes, but more logical.

Cammies (with insignia) it was...in 1966, flying off Intrepid...over there.
icon12.gif

(At least in our CAG...)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cammies (with insignia) it was...in 1966, flying off Intrepid...over there.
icon12.gif

(At least in our CAG...)

How'd that guy on the left ever fit in an A-4? Bottoming out the ejection seat only gains you so much.