• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Marine Corps books

CharlieMike

Wannabe
Long version: I'm a huge reader, and love reading history books, and lately I've been reading more and more books about the Marines. I've recently read James Brady's "Why Marines Fight" and am in the middle of "Joker One". It just so happens that I got a pretty good sized check for my birthday, and am looking to put some of that towards new USMC books (no, I'm not neglecting the Navy, planning on reading a lot about them too, but want to focus on the Corps right now, no offense to you Navy fellas ;)) but won't be putting all my dinero into books, so was wondering what are some of the best ones you all have read, because I don't really know which ones to get. I've got about 20 on my list of ones I'd like to read right now, and will probably only buy a few right now.

Doesn't necessarily have to be just about aviation in the Corps or officer oriented.

So, short version: Looking to buy books about the Marine Corps, what are the top ones you recommend?

Thanks, everyone!

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Colder Than Hell: A Marine Rifle Company at Chosin Reservoir by Joseph R. Owen

A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan.

maxsonic

I'll second "A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan." Great read. Here are a couple other recommendations:

A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How a U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God's Presence Amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq, by LT. Carey H. Cash

One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer, by Nathaniel C. Fick

Baa Baa Black Sheep, by Gregory Pappy Boyington

BzB Jr.

CharlieMike

Wannabe
Thanks for the great suggestions so far! I've heard great things about One Bullet Away and A Nightmare's Prayer, and those others sound great too.

USAF_WX2USN

Generation Kill by Evan Wright

Into the Fire by Dakota Meyer

One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Flick

Navy Seal Books:

Damn Few by Rorke Denver

Fearless by Eric Blehm

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Check out the "Green Side Out" series by Maj Gene Duncan. Good entertainment that we used to pass around.

djj34

pilot
Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley
Marine Air by Robert Dorr
Hammer From Above by Jay Stout
Making The Corps by Thomas Ricks
Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie
Another rec for A Nightmare's Prayer by Mike Franzak. Great read, great guy, too. Signed my book over some chips and beers, something I'll hold onto for a long time.

Oh, and MCDP 1 for sure.;)