• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Liberty Ports: What's to know

KBayDog

All the other 'R & R' visits were 'Po City. I'm not knocking Cubi...many good libs been had there...but after a while, It gets OLD!:rolleyes:

Could be worse - you could stop at Subic and not be allowed across The Bridge. (Yes, you read that right...)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could be worse - you could stop at Subic and not be allowed across The Bridge. (Yes, you read that right...)

I recall that Da Po' used to be regularly placed off limits during local (Mayoral) campaigns/elections. We may think our campaigns are 'rough', the OL started in the '60s when one Mayoral candidate's gang assassinated his rival in a "mud street" niteclub (Chicago style)!:eek:
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Two port calls in Subic in 2009 (both 2+ weeks long) and got full access to the local area!
Pretty good diving in the PI and lots of ways to get into trouble....

staff03

So I had no idea where Subic was and had to google it, clicked on the images tab and ya definitely NSFW!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Malta was pretty fun. We were there in summer '04, and at least at the time, it was the place for hip young Eurotrash to go.

Going on an 'eastpac' counter-dope cruise on a frigate meant getting to see some non-traditional liberty ports, like Panama City. PC is a old-school white hat liberty port (steak, beer and lap dance for $20). Generally safe and clean (at least by Central American standards), natives were friendly - most common question was when are the yanquis going to take the Canal back, things ran so much smoother then - and holy G-d were the women gorgeous.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Rhodes Greece, at least in 91, took the bitter edge off a long cruise with little port time (9 days iirc). Got a room down in Lindos and had the admin I the Rhodes palace. We were the first cvn in a long time to hit it. Anchored out but it was a 5 minute ride and the port is where the collasis of Rhodes stood.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Subic Bay- Not to great, I heard it was better when we still had bases there. Went to a pretty cool bar/restraunt that was massive and mostly outdoors. Thats about the best thing there. Try not to get tetnis
Pataya Beach- Cheap, great food, interesting culture... crazy
Phufket(sic?)- Awesome, beautiful, cheap, lot better than Pataya. You need to take the elephant ride through the jungle

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
In my day, it was Subic, Pattaya Beach, Singapore, Hong Kong, Yokosuka, Pusan, etc....The P.I. of course is nothing like the 80's when I was going there and tearing up Magsaysay, Gordan Ave...Pusan had the legendary Texas Street (supposedly off-limits now due to many squids getting in fights with Russian fisherman). Hong Kong was great when the China Fleet Club was going, "Bull and the Bear" pub, Suzy Wong district, Central, Stanley...And, who can not say they had a good time in Thailand! Later, Persian Excursion liberty was downright boring...oh yay...a beer garden on the pier and a schwarma...geeze

exNavyOffRec

Subic Bay- Not to great, I heard it was better when we still had bases there. Went to a pretty cool bar/restraunt that was massive and mostly outdoors. Thats about the best thing there. Try not to get tetnis
Pataya Beach- Cheap, great food, interesting culture... crazy
Phufket(sic?)- Awesome, beautiful, cheap, lot better than Pataya. You need to take the elephant ride through the jungle
Subic was a blast when we had bases there.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Rio- No gouge neccessary. A wet-behind-the-ears Ensign couldn't f it away.

Rota, Spain- Tour a bodega, eat some paella, drink some wine and go to the beach.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I dig Rota okay, but it's hardly among the "best liberty ports." Puerto de Santa Maria is pretty nice, though.