• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best golf courses near naval stations?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I'm going down to Virginia Beach later this year. Bringing my clubs this time. Any good golf courses you recommend in the area?

The online reviews are mixed and often exclude on-base courses - which I know can be hidden gems, inexpensive, and plenty of tee times.

johnboyA6E

None
Hell's Point is pretty good in VA Beach

on-base courses at Oceana and Norfolk are not very good, Norfolk is probably a little better. but it's been a while since i've played either one

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's been ages but I recall the one base courses being pretty decent for the price. I played Oceana a few times and always enjoyed it. Granted, it was a pretty standard base course but, as I mentioned in another thread, it was perfectly acceptable for my dismal level of play. I think Little Creek also has a course that was pretty good as well. And a muni course up near Ocean View that is the kind of course that doesn't mind if one of your squadron's nuggets gets tanked and drives a cart into a pond as long as he drags the cart back out.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Before the closed the course at Whiting, which had one of the holes right under the 90 to short final of runway 23, I had a standing $100 bet for anyone who could plink a T-34 with a golf ball (or a T-6).

I think it might have reopened as frisbee golf.

edit: and the bet doesn't apply to frisbees, Aerobies, discus, or any other disc-type objects ? (some modern-day Hylas would probably trick me out of that hundy)

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
Caveat: my opinion only. Played a fair amount of golf during the four years I was stationed there, but I left in 2012. I've played at a couple of tournaments since then at Oceana for LSO stuff but that's it. Was probably a 6-7 handicap at the time so I didn't mind a bit of a challenge.

The best courses close-ish to the base is Virginia Beach National. Pete Dye design, very much so a challenging, tournament-style course. Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg across the HRBT has hosted various PGA and LPGA tour events over the years and has both resort-type and challenging tournament-style 18 holes. It's probably my favorite course in the area.

Nansemond River in Suffolk is pretty decent for the price and I played a couple of tournaments there, but I think Riverfront Golf Club is the best in that area. Fairly challenging country club-esque setup, overall very solid and a very good setup.

As far as base courses go, I'm partial to Sewell's Point right outside NOB (NS Norfolk). A little on the short side, but it's a Donald Ross design so it's kind of hard to pass up for the price. A little tight and more of a traditional style course with an emphasis on hitting fairways and greens. Played many a Navy tournament there. As far as other base courses, overall Little Creek is a little better in my opinion, and is a little more links-style in the sense that you can not hit the short stuff off the tee and still have a chance at par. The Oceana courses (Tomcat and Hornet) are certainly nice and there's nothing wrong with those if you're just going out to have fun. I never played Langley's course. Overall, I'd say the base courses understand that their main customers are retired military types and various tournaments sponsored by base constituents. They still have their own challenges, but they're not trying to get players so demoralized that they throw their clubs in the water and never come back.

Edit: I know this wasn't the original question, but if you ever find yourself going to Jacksonville, bring your sticks and hit up the NAS Jax base course. Overall it may be my favorite military golf course.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Before the closed the course at Whiting, which had one of the holes right under the 90 to short final of runway 23, I had a standing $100 bet for anyone who could plink a T-34 with a golf ball (or a T-6).

I think it might have reopened as frisbee golf.

edit: and the bet doesn't apply to frisbees, Aerobies, discus, or any other disc-type objects ? (some modern-day Hylas would probably trick me out of that hundy)
They closed the course at NASWF? Probably for the best since it was a crap course. But it knew it was a crap course, charged appropriately, and had the appropriate laid back demeanor. I used to go and walk 9 after a flight and play 3-5 balls per hole. No one was ever upset by this. Also, their fairways were a mile wide so as a guy with a mean slice I could hit and still end up on the fairway!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Caveat: my opinion only. Played a fair amount of golf during the four years I was stationed there, but I left in 2012. I've played at a couple of tournaments since then at Oceana for LSO stuff but that's it. Was probably a 6-7 handicap at the time so I didn't mind a bit of a challenge.

The best courses close-ish to the base is Virginia Beach National. Pete Dye design, very much so a challenging, tournament-style course. Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg across the HRBT has hosted various PGA and LPGA tour events over the years and has both resort-type and challenging tournament-style 18 holes. It's probably my favorite course in the area.

Nansemond River in Suffolk is pretty decent for the price and I played a couple of tournaments there, but I think Riverfront Golf Club is the best in that area. Fairly challenging country club-esque setup, overall very solid and a very good setup.

As far as base courses go, I'm partial to Sewell's Point right outside NOB (NS Norfolk). A little on the short side, but it's a Donald Ross design so it's kind of hard to pass up for the price. A little tight and more of a traditional style course with an emphasis on hitting fairways and greens. Played many a Navy tournament there. As far as other base courses, overall Little Creek is a little better in my opinion, and is a little more links-style in the sense that you can not hit the short stuff off the tee and still have a chance at par. The Oceana courses (Tomcat and Hornet) are certainly nice and there's nothing wrong with those if you're just going out to have fun. I never played Langley's course. Overall, I'd say the base courses understand that their main customers are retired military types and various tournaments sponsored by base constituents. They still have their own challenges, but they're not trying to get players so demoralized that they throw their clubs in the water and never come back.

Edit: I know this wasn't the original question, but if you ever find yourself going to Jacksonville, bring your sticks and hit up the NAS Jax base course. Overall it may be my favorite military golf course.
This is awesome. Going to try to hit up Hell's Point and maybe JEBLCFS Eagle Haven while I'm in town. Will report back.

BarryD

Contributor
For the Norfolk Area:
Eagle Haven at NAB LC (or JEBLCFS if you will) is one of the best military courses I've played, and I played there all the time when the family lived in Ocean View. Lots of awesome views and hole designs.

I've only played Sewell's point once, but it's a solid track. Can't speak to Oceana's courses as I haven't played them.

I agree with @SlickAg that VA Beach National is the best course in the area. Originally was gonna be apart of the TPC program as TPC VA Beach. Beautiful track with the best conditions in the area. Australian pro Marc Leishman own a house out there.

Signature at Westneck is another good track, but a few years ago some kind of bacteria got into the greens and killed them. No idea how they're doing these days.

The public courses out there aren't bad either. I played Red Wing Lake twice and thought it was good. I'd say the condition there is a little better than Kempsville, where they play the City Amateur tournament (not to be confused with Kingsmill, which I regret not getting out to). Lambert's Point is only a nine hole par 34, but it a cool links style course.

/Edit:
San Diego:
NASNI's course, Sea N' Air is awesome and the back nine runs right along Breaker's beach. It's always green out there and while it's on the shorter side, can't beat the deal. Admiral Baker North is also a good course, but it's open to the public now so it's always packed. It's tougher than Sea N' Air and would still suggest it. Baker South is short and the condition has continued to deteriorate over the years.

The Pendelton golf course on the south side of the base is also a good track.

Get a Resident's card which gets you the resident rate at Balboa, Mission Bay, and Torrey. If you play Torrey, this saves you about $200.

Balboa is a cool experience, but I personally hate the course. The greens are nice, but the green complexes were designed 70 years ago when greens were more comparable to carpet, so now that they run faster some of them are impossible to putt. You do get some nice views of Downtown San Diego though.

I love both courses at Torrey, both of which are used for the Farmer's Insurance Open (PGA Event). The South hosted the U.S Open in 2008, and will host the U.S Open next year in 2021.

Lot's of other great golf in the Escondido/North County/San Marcos/Carlsbad area as well.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
For the Norfolk Area:
Eagle Haven at NAB LC (or JEBLCFS if you will) is one of the best military courses I've played, and I played there all the time when the family lived in Ocean View. Lots of awesome views and hole designs.

I've only played Sewell's point once, but it's a solid track. Can't speak to Oceana's courses as I haven't played them.

I agree with @SlickAg that VA Beach National is the best course in the area. Originally was gonna be apart of the TPC program as TPC VA Beach. Beautiful track with the best conditions in the area. Australian pro Marc Leishman own a house out there.

Signature at Westneck is another good track, but a few years ago some kind of bacteria got into the greens and killed them. No idea how they're doing these days.

The public courses out there aren't bad either. I played Red Wing Lake twice and thought it was good. I'd say the condition there is a little better than Kempsville, where they play the City Amateur tournament (not to be confused with Kingsmill, which I regret not getting out to). Lambert's Point is only a nine hole par 34, but it a cool links style course.

/Edit:
San Diego:
NASNI's course, Sea N' Air is awesome and the back nine runs right along Breaker's beach. It's always green out there and while it's on the shorter side, can't beat the deal. Admiral Baker North is also a good course, but it's open to the public now so it's always packed. It's tougher than Sea N' Air and would still suggest it. Baker South is short and the condition has continued to deteriorate over the years.

Get a Resident's card which gets you the resident rate at Balboa, Mission Bay, and Torrey. If you play Torrey, this saves you about $200.

Balboa is a cool experience, but I personally hate the course. The greens are nice, but the green complexes were designed 70 years ago when greens were more comparable to carpet, so now that they run faster some of them are impossible to putt. You do get some nice views of Downtown San Diego though.

I love both courses at Torrey, both of which are used for the Farmer's Insurance Open (PGA Event). The South hosted the U.S Open in 2008, and will host the U.S Open next year in 2021.

Lot's of other great golf in the Escondido/North County/San Marcos/Carlsbad area as well.
I do love NASNI's course; unfortunately haven't played many others in San Diego. Definitely the best military course I've played in terms of scenery.

We used to play courses in the Reno/Tahoe area when we were at Fallon during work-ups. Key West has a decent course, but I've always had a bit of a hard time playing there early in the morning after a fun night out.

Overall I've been pleased with how much golf I was able to play on det (both fleet and VT-land as an IP) and even during deployment. My squadron had a bunch of pretty good golfers and a CSG admiral who loved golfing so we sometimes had a little tournament during port calls. It was sort of cool to have the admiral know you by name because she kept on giving you and your squadronmates prizes at the tournaments.

What was the back story about why Va Beach National and why it isn't TPC?

BarryD

Contributor
I do love NASNI's course; unfortunately haven't played many others in San Diego. Definitely the best military course I've played in terms of scenery.

We used to play courses in the Reno/Tahoe area when we were at Fallon during work-ups. Key West has a decent course, but I've always had a bit of a hard time playing there early in the morning after a fun night out.

Overall I've been pleased with how much golf I was able to play on det (both fleet and VT-land as an IP) and even during deployment. My squadron had a bunch of pretty good golfers and a CSG admiral who loved golfing so we sometimes had a little tournament during port calls. It was sort of cool to have the admiral know you by name because she kept on giving you and your squadronmates prizes at the tournaments.

What was the back story about why Va Beach National and why it isn't TPC?
Looks like it was actually TPC Va Beach for a few years and they wound up selling it to the city when they were downsizing the TPC network years ago. I always forget how the TPC operation works, as they have both public and private courses in their network. Seems like they operate like Club Corp, but all of their courses are private/resort courses.

My family has played a ton of golf at Edgewood Tahoe over the years. I haven't been up, but they love it up there.

Pags

N/A
pilot
For the Norfolk Area:

/Edit:
San Diego:

Is Lambert's Point the course at ODU? If so, I had forgotten about that one and second it as a fun course. Even though it's awful to play with a slice. But Mrs Pags, who hits every club 70-100yds perfectly straight, used to clean up there. She got within a few inches of a hole in one once there.

If you want killer courses near a base you need to go to Monterey. The Pacific Grove Muni course is unbeatable for the price. Oh and cheap isn't your thing there's that other course the next town over that's ok too.

BarryD

Contributor
Is Lambert's Point the course at ODU? If so, I had forgotten about that one and second it as a fun course. Even though it's awful to play with a slice. But Mrs Pags, who hits every club 70-100yds perfectly straight, used to clean up there. She got within a few inches of a hole in one once there.
Yep, that's the one. I had actually forgotten about the fact ODU is right there.

If you want killer courses near a base you need to go to Monterey. The Pacific Grove Muni course is unbeatable for the price. Oh and cheap isn't your thing there's that other course the next town over that's ok too.
Discount Pebble! Haven't played there, but looks awesome on video.

Plus Bayonet & Blackhorse on the former Fort Ord, which offers a solid discount for military living within 50 miles.

Beats the money and or luck needed to play at Pebble, MPCC, Spyglass and Poppy Hills.