• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Cell Phone Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
For all you NFO/Pilot types:
I am heading down to Pcola in November but my cell phone contract ends in October. I am just wondering for those of you who have them, which would be the best company to go with? Who has the best coverage for Pcola as well as all of the follow on training? Let me know. Thanks.

--goplay

perchul

ATT blows nuts wherever whenever. I just switched to Verizon while I don't live in Pcola I do live in FL and I can say I'm pretty happy with them. Not necessarily the cheapest but not expensive either. I usually don't care about this crap but I've been really pleased with the customer service staff they have

jaerose

I switched from Sprint to Nextel due to the mobile-to-mobile feature (which is now nationwide) and nationwide long distance. I get a lot of minutes, too...but my actual phone is cheap and I need a better one.

JR

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I just recently switched from Cingular to Verizon Wireless. I would say that Verizon Wireless has the most coverage (throughout the US) than any other cell phone company. I took a vacation in P'Cola not too long ago, and had no problem with coverage. Just my 4 cents.

D

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I have verizon, and I had coverage everywhere in the Pensacola area, even on base, when most of my buds didn't. I'm in CC now and I still have the same coverage. Verizon has a contract with the military to put a tower on most installations. I am in no way promoting this product/company, just merely passing on some friendly information.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I had Cingular. Coverage was hit or miss no matter where you were. Customer service sucked really bad -- had my service for almost three years and nearly every month my wife or myself had to call and have something corrected on our bill.

Laxanation

Cingular sucks so bad I am going to buy-out the remainder of my contract today for $150 so I can be done with it. I'm goin with Verizon. By far the best phone and plan choices, no problems with coverage so far but how can I judge because I have only had it for a week. SO far so good though and I got a pretty hot phone for cheap. If you have a good buddy or two you can get on the family share plan (you don't really have to be family). Share like 600 mins of daytime talk for $35/mo a piece, unlimited night and weekends. Do I sound like a commercial yet.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Just our 4 cents as well.... my husband has Cingular- and in P'cola on the base- it was as if he were talking on another planet. I would not use them if you are in P'cola for any length of time. His calls were always metalic sounding and were always hit or miss with actually completing a sentence. On the other hand- I have Verizon and I love it. As soon as his contract ends- he's switching to Verizon. You can use it anywhere in the US and it will work. I had NO problem in P'cola and now we're in CC- and it is still good. Sometimes it is hard to get a full signal- but it still does not cut out or drop calls like Cingular. Again-just our experience.

P.S. FYI- Cingular won't work with you on upgrading a phone- or getting out of your contract- if you go to the mall in P'cola. I think it is because they know they stink.
bouncy_125.gif
But- he went to a Cingular store a few blocks from the mall (where Target and Michael's is) and they apologized and upgraded his phone for free. It helped a little- and they guy even admitted that the company knew they were marketing a poor phone- but it was because it was inexpensive...hmmm...now let's think about that!!

psrogers

Intel Officer
I've had Sprint for about a year and a half...
The service and coverage has been absolutely great, all over the country. The plans totally suck big fatties. No minutes, always having to watch how many are left. The phones themselves are great though. Free long distance all the time.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
About Cingular....

When I made the decision to switch from Cingular to Verizon, I was told by the Cingular person that I couldn't do the family plan, because my 1-yr old phone was on a different network than their newer phones. I checked out Verizon, and they said that Cingular is just NOW updating their network, as Verizon has had that newer network for years now (and are upgrading to a better network)! It was an easy decision to get rid of Cingular. Don't buy from Cingular!

D

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
My fiance has Verizon and has had decent coverage in Pcola and we like it because of the mobile to mobile minutes and free long distance/roaming if you have the America's choice plan. But, having said that, he has pretty good coverage in Pcola, EXCEPT in certain rooms of his apartment...and verizon seems to drop alot of calls for him in Pcola as well. The good part is that if you call the customer service people and complain to management, they'll credit you for dropped calls. They also told him that they are planning on adding another service tower in Pcola to help with reception near base.

His roommate has Nextel, and he can't even use his cell phone in their apartment at all, but the rest of Pcola he gets great reception. If you are married or have a significant other T mobile has plans where you can talk to that person unlimited at anytime in the day for a flat rate if you both sign up together as well. Good luck choosing.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have had SPRINT for the last 5 years, from Pensacola to now, and all I can say, is that if you are on the go alot (TAD), and in different places, they are the way to go. With P3s I have been all over the place, from Guam to Jax, to Key West, North Island, to WA, et al. Every place I have been on DET I have gotten a signal, where other ppl on my crew have had one of the cells mentioned above, and were not getting ANY signal or connection.

I haven't had to battle any bill problems, though I have heard horror stories. If you are a Sprint customer, and at the end of your contract, they have special incentives to keep you on. I called them, told them I was thinking of quiting, and they upgraded everything for me, gave me unlimited phone to phone minutes, and some ungodly # of day and weekend minutes. I have two phones so it worked out nicely.

I personally opt for the ability to talk anywhere I go to, and it has worked well for me. Just boils down to what you intend to do with it. Think alot of us in our profession are on the road a lot. My two cents...

Jold

Had Verison for long time, when I traveled took wifemates Sprint phone because could not receive Verison in so many place. Three years ago changed to Sprint when wife refused to let me take her phone. Upstate Wisconsin on fishing trip was only location have experienced no Sprint service. Note: Saves me a bundle on LD charges when I am in Hawaii. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.