• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best at OCS

Sheepdip

Contributor
Msams....another tips: Make sure you take every possible opportunity to tell your classmates how the Army did/does things differently. Start it out with "In the Army we..." :eek:

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What is this appendix C I have seen mentioned here and there? I have a pretty good knack for memorizing things so will be needing some new stuff once I get the chain of command down....which may take a bit, it's the worst ughhh

You needn't worry about Appendix C until at least after RLP. You won't need to know it until eighth week. The ORLP inspection includes knowing Appendix B verbatim (just like RLP), plus a working knowledge of Appendix C. App. C includes info on all the ships, aircraft, and weapons currently in use by the Navy. You'll need to be conversational on most of it, i.e. be able to recite four big facts about each item. Being a prior can help you two ways here. First, occupational knowledge can give you an advantage. My old roommate, an aviation electronic technician who was assigned to a patrol squadron in Hawaii before OCS was asked about P-3's. Cake walk. Second, some of the officers will take it a lot easier on priors. My other roommate, a prior chief, said that as soon as he told the officer inspecting him that he was...I think he was ADC, the officer totally unlocked, and they just shot the breeze for five minutes.
But again, Appendix C shouldn't be on your radar at the moment.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I think that non-priors need to hold all the billets in OCS, but that just isn't the way it's done.

You were regcomm for 09-13, right?

I agree with you for the most part on this. It bugged me to see experienced priors get big billets when the entire batt staff was non-prior. In my time in the regiment, three out of four regcomms were prior Marines, one was a non-prior, and then the next class had a prior chief. I think the class after that had a prior Marine as well, but then I finally got out of student pool, commissioned, and stopped keeping track. Nothing against any of them, my regcomm did a great job in particular, but others needed that experience more.

Msams....another tips: Make sure you take every possible opportunity to tell your classmates how the Army did/does things differently. Start it out with "In the Army we..." :eek:

This is the single best piece of advice ever given on airwarriors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I hope you all mention being cited for exceptional leadership at OCS while serving in the challenging billet of regimental commander in your letter to your CO. Be sure to also mention that you were an honor class for such difficult feats like doing a lot of situps and folding laundry correctly. He'll cream his pants to be getting such a high quality Ensign/LTJG.

Disclaimer: spekkio is not responsible for any ribbing you may receive by fellow JOs or any assumptions that you're a tool for following the above advice.

Sonog

pilot
Every candio bar on your collar adds 0.01 to your NSS

Seriously though, for OCS: just don't show weakness and the rest is what you make of it.

jcharles

PRO REC Y 11603 SWO-IP 30AUG13
What is this appendix C I have seen mentioned here and there? I have a pretty good knack for memorizing things so will be needing some new stuff once I get the chain of command down....which may take a bit, it's the worst ughhh

Is there any interest from folks for a scanned copy of the OCS Delayed Entry Program Guide? I grabbed my portable scanner from the office this morning and am thinking about scanning it since I have not seen it anywhere online and I know those folks without recruiters won't be able to grab them. If you have already found it online, please let me know and save me the time lol.

jg54170,

If you can send me a copy that would be great! Thanks...

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!

Is there any interest from folks for a scanned copy of the OCS Delayed Entry Program Guide? I grabbed my portable scanner from the office this morning and am thinking about scanning it since I have not seen it anywhere online and I know those folks without recruiters won't be able to grab them. If you have already found it online, please let me know and save me the time lol.
jg54170,

Can you send me the scanned copies as well? I have a lot of free time and I'd like to spend those times studying as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
jg54170,

Can you send me the scanned copies as well? I have a lot of free time and I'd like to spend those times studying as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

PM me your email address, same goes for anyone else desiring it. No .mil address' cause it is too large of an attachment I believe.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Proceed with caution, if it's the same DEP guide I was given, I've heard it's very outdated, so some of the verbiage not might match up.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Proceed with caution, if it's the same DEP guide I was given, I've heard it's very outdated, so some of the verbiage not might match up.

Roger, the most useful part is how to say the various ranks word for word. Most the other items are also in the OCS Gouge packet. Most of it seems to be word for word otherwise. The 11 general orders ...number 6 is slightly varied in saying "non-commissioned officers" vs "petty officers". Other than that I can find no differences.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Yes, it is. Damn I wasted my time scanning it lol. Eh 5 min wasn't too bad

I was going to ask for a copy of yours since what I have is a hard copy of one I got about 3-4yrs ago when an OR came to one of our flight dept safety meetings back in college. Guess, it's still the same thing.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Things to ignore in that book:

• Parking passes. They've since done away with the decals, so if you're bringing your POV, there's nothing to worry about. They never even asked to see my registration/insurance/whatever, so nothing to worry about there.
  • Bringing 6 to 8 white crew neck shirts. Bad gouge. If anything, bring a couple navy blue crew-necks instead. And you don't even really need those, you'll be issued some before you'll need to wear them, but if you want to save those for inspections, bring a couple navy blue Hanes. By the time you'll need white shirts, you'll have access to the NEX/uniform store, so you could just pick them up there tax-free.
  • "You will also have the opportunity for pistol qualification at the small arms range." I wish. It's just a gun safety course now.
  • Warrant Officer ranks. Not worth it. So rarely asked that the time spent getting them figured out is excessive relative to the chance that you'll get asked it.
  • The little blurbs there that give you collar devices and insignia word for word. If you memorize those verbatim, it might be more difficult to think on your feet when the question is asked in a different way. If you're asked, "What does the seventh person in your chain of command wear on his Service Dress Blues," knowing the rote stuff isn't gonna help you. If you have true comprehension of the material, you'll know to say that CAPT Kemper, USN wears four gold stripes below a gold five pointed star on his SDB's.
  • The mission of the Navy. First of all, it's way off. The mission of the Navy is to maintain, train, and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression, and maintaining freedom of the seas. I suppose the one they use in the book is for recruits at boot camp, but it's not the one you need to know. Second, it's missing two of the mission areas. Not as important, and not something you need to memorize, but it comes up in one of the classes.
Other than that, you're right, most of it matches up just fine.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Things to ignore in that book:

• Parking passes. They've since done away with the decals, so if you're bringing your POV, there's nothing to worry about. They never even asked to see my registration/insurance/whatever, so nothing to worry about there.
  • Bringing 6 to 8 white crew neck shirts. Bad gouge. If anything, bring a couple navy blue crew-necks instead. And you don't even really need those, you'll be issued some before you'll need to wear them, but if you want to save those for inspections, bring a couple navy blue Hanes. By the time you'll need white shirts, you'll have access to the NEX/uniform store, so you could just pick them up there tax-free.
  • "You will also have the opportunity for pistol qualification at the small arms range." I wish. It's just a gun safety course now.
  • Warrant Officer ranks. Not worth it. So rarely asked that the time spent getting them figured out is excessive relative to the chance that you'll get asked it.
  • The little blurbs there that give you collar devices and insignia word for word. If you memorize those verbatim, it might be more difficult to think on your feet when the question is asked in a different way. If you're asked, "What does the seventh person in your chain of command wear on his Service Dress Blues," knowing the rote stuff isn't gonna help you. If you have true comprehension of the material, you'll know to say that CAPT Kemper, USN wears four gold stripes below a gold five pointed star on his SDB's.
  • The mission of the Navy. First of all, it's way off. The mission of the Navy is to maintain, train, and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression, and maintaining freedom of the seas. I suppose the one they use in the book is for recruits at boot camp, but it's not the one you need to know. Second, it's missing two of the mission areas. Not as important, and not something you need to memorize, but it comes up in one of the classes.
Other than that, you're right, most of it matches up just fine.
Good to hear!... I would definitely not advise folks to not have proper POV information however, it is required regardless whether decals were done away with.

Thanks for the updates, I definitely missed the mission of the Navy especially since the incorrect one(for OCS) is what we are teaching the enlisted folks :confused:

I will throw in the disclaimer with anyone I forward the info to.