• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Believe it or not...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We miss our kids when we're deployed more than we let on...

Me saying goodbye to my daughter the day I deployed on a 6 month cruise. She was 5 months old.

She was hard to say goodbye to...and really hard to let go of...

IMG_2014.jpg

Here she is today....
Science.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I didn't know Sean Hannity went to TOPGUN. Seriously Schnugg....pretty cool. Good Science Fair product as well...ask her where the biggest fish are in Maryland for me!

H60Gunner

Contributor
Cool pics Schnugg.

My oldest kid was born when I was on deployment, that was the suck. He is now studying at the Navy's nuclear science fair. They grow up way too fast!

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last year she won $200 from Northrop Grumman. This year she took an Honorable Mention.

I'm a proud dad.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey...I missed the dog, Nugget, too.

00000145.jpg

"Nugget" died while I was on my 2000 cruise on the Stennis. My Dad passed also away a month earlier from brain cancer on the saem deployment...That was a crappy cruise.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... grow up way too fast!

Yeah, verily. I sure miss my son while he is on deployment embarked Stennis. No one to hunt, shoot, fish with:) But just found out he goes to TPS this summar, ergo will be only a couple hours from home!

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Very proud, I am sure.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Yeah, verily. I sure miss my son while he is on deployment embarked Stennis. No one to hunt, shoot, fish with:) But just found out he goes to TPS this summar, ergo will be only a couple hours from home!

Thats sweet having your kid stationed close!

Flugelman

Contributor
I left for a six-month deployment the day after my son's 1st birthday. I cried all the way to the hanger. :( Made the wife promise to wait 'til I got back for his first haircut. Precious pictures, I'll have to dig them out and scan them in. :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Deploying when single: never fun, but you can focus on Seeing the World. Deploying married: sucks, but you push through. I can't imagine going back to the Boat now that I have a kiddo.

232323232%7Ffp53686%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E%3A%3A2%3E4%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A6%3A69%3C2687nu0mrj

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
Deploying when single: never fun, but you can focus on Seeing the World. Deploying married: sucks, but you push through. I can't imagine going back to the Boat now that I have a kiddo.

232323232%7Ffp53686%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E%3A%3A2%3E4%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A6%3A69%3C2687nu0mrj

UncleFester...she looks just like you!

All of the kiddos are beautiful!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Against my better judgment, I will make a few comments on this so called, "Spouses Corner" thread.

I was fortunate to miss many diaper changes during the "bang bang" 16-month separation birth of our two rug-rats, by being on cruise or on a det for the first few years of their lives.

In fact, our daughter was born late, bass ackwards in breech, and a month after a 9-month cruise, while I was eating great enchiladas in China Lake on a long scheduled and very important det. (Our skipper graciously gave me an F-14 to quickly fly back to Balboa Naval Hospital overnight to visit mother and child.)

Fortunately, our new daughter not only has my obnoxious personality, but she also has the same "slight ear deformity" that her true father has - me- and not the mailman. ;) (She is also the only person who has ever taken the flight controls from me ever, in my 40 years of aviation... and she was.... right to do so).

I may have been a little too, "Great Santini" with both of them. But they both persevered. And we are all tight now.

The pics below were at our VF-1 fly-in in the late '70s. The munchkins are probably older now than most readers here. But family separation, and the wonderful return of the father (or mother) after a long separation forever remains the same. And it is remembered forever, especially for the parent if not the very young child.

But isn't that why we do it? For our children, and for our friends and neighbors and for their children, in addition to our desire to serve? Somebody has to!

Ironically, our small son became what I fantasized about - a rock star on tour making 'bank' and with women fawning all over him, albeit briefly for two years. Now, he is a high school counselor, while still enjoying his professional musician career too. And our daughter, after graduating and waiting tables, finally decided to try flying. She is now a corporate jet captain.

Life is long, hopefully. And sometimes separation builds family strength. We as a family, after many bumps in the road and mistakes, are fortunately as tight as any. And as close as ever. May any of yours be the same.

flyoff1.jpg

flyoff2.jpg

And the little girl on the left, some almost 3 decades later......

soozdadjet1.jpg