• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Behind Enemy Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyin canuck

I saw it tonight... one last chance to blow off steam before finals!

Anyway, i thought the scenes involving the Super Bug kicked ass. The shots of it flying low through snow covered mountains were awesome, but all too brief. The scene where they're going through preflight checks is pretty cool, though I don't think setting the master arm to "arm" on the deck is SOP!

And the survival aspect seemed pretty unrealistic. He's running around in daylight all the time, which i doubt is what is taught at survival school! Its certainly not how O'Grady did it when it happened for real. But i guess thats hollywood for ya.

Overall, not a bad flick. It left me wondering where all the unused footage that was shot of the super bug ends up...hehehe.

Anyway, i'm full of beer, the Leafs won tonight, so i'm happy....time to drift off to more thoughts and dreams of the Hornet!

Randy Haskin

quote:
It left me wondering where all the unused footage that was shot of the super bug ends up...hehehe.

Just guessing here, but I'm pretty sure it was all CGI, wireframe models done by Desmond McPherson...same guys who did the F-18s in The Rock and other movies.

(http://www.mcpherson3d.com/gallery.html)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So Mcpherson's the culprit who painted US Air Force on the side of the Hornet in "The Rock." Needs to do a little homework, I guess. SF, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ASUPilot

Yeah, Hollywood never seems to get military aviation right! I guess Top Gun was a close as its ever been...and even that wasn't too good. One would think that with the money those little wimps spend on these productions that they'd at least get it right...as far as which service flies what and so on. I'll go see the movie because I like Gene Hackman but the flying looks like a joke!

ASUPilot

flyin canuck

Randy,

To me it looked like the only time they used CGI was in the shots where the missiles and the hornet are visible in the same frame, and a few extenal shots of it flying low level. The shots of it launching off the deck, much of the low level, and a fair bit of the maneuvering to counter the missles looked like it was the real thing. Of course, in all the real footage they changed the squadron umber on the 'spine' from VFA-122 to VFA-163 (It still had VFA-122 tail markings).

SNA Russell

I saw the movie too. I thought it was too cheesy.
1) In the beginning when Owen Wilson is talking to Gene Hackman about getting out of the Navy. A LT mouthing off to a 2-Star? Probably not.
2) The CBGC going on the rescue mission? Probably not.

I thought Spy Game was a much better flick.

-Rory

Edited by - SNA Russell on 12/03/2001 23:25:05

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Only one comment (I could go crazy listing all the discrepancies, thank god Dave isn't around being the artsy film major that he is) Also I agree, Spy Game was better, anyways, my one comment:

Come on, a movie about a FO?!?!

marcb747

I was really dissapointed with this one.
Do missions really get scrubbed, at the point where the aircraft is about to launch?

Also, what's up with the football on the catapult? Do they really do that?

Jack

I agree with John, a movie revolving around a FO? C'mon, where's the love?

1. Since when can you 're-start' the ELT on the NACES seat?

2. In the begining the FO says he want's to got the airlines? With what flight time?

3. Running around in the day time while trying to evade the meanies?

4. the list goes on,

not a too bad of a movie in the sense that it was entertaining and there were some decent boat scenes.

jack

jec

Randy Haskin

quote:
Come on, a movie about a FO?!?!

Hey, at least the WSO union is getting some love these days.

Guess having the front seater die is just long overdue revenge for Goose dying!

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Another pretty small glitch I found was when they showed the Super Hornet launching, it looked like in a few of those short snipets of clips I saw some "billboards" and for a second thought one snuck in a shot of a Tomcat? (While the Super Hornet was supposed to be lanuching) Not too sure about the Tomcat part... but I'm positive I saw a billboard go past the screen. lol

C'mon guys, you don't like the idea of leaving the pilot in the middle of a nice, flat, clear field with his nice bright orange 'chute isn't what they'd do in real life? Sheesh, I'm 18 and even I know better than that one.

Dave Shutter

I'm always here John, but No I haven't gotten the chance to see it just yet. When libery time came around at OCS I wanted to do other things and now that I'm on leave the last thing I want to do is sit through a military movie. I'll catch it sooner or later but from what I'm, hearing it may be on video. The trailer looks good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.