• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beginning ME upgrade...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Any advice out there?...besides "Don't fvck it up"...

I'm starting my ME upgrade with PCola Aviation...met my instructor today.

This will be my first civilian syllabus that I've done. Anyone do this, or something like this, after wings? Either way, I'm excited to be back in "student" mode and will be doing a Part 61 program on weekends. If you see me preflighting the Seminole, c'mon over and say hey!

~D

MasterBates

Rotate, Raise the dead.

The amount of rudder needed should not be frightening to a 57IP.. But the forces will be somewhat higher (ok, a lot higher). .

Treat this like how you tell students with a shitton of civvie time to treat Navy Training. It's different.

Also, make sure your MEI don't kill you. Some of those guys have less flight time than you have preflighting.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I flew with a guy out there back in 2000. Foreign guy and did not impress me. Make sure they do not milk you for money. Ground school is where they try to explain to military aviators the 4 forces of flight, what is P-factor, what is a critical engine, and charge you an arm and a leg.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Ya Chunks... save yourself the money on ground instruction and get a home study course like sporty's or jeppesen.

The biggest thing about getting your multi add-on is going to be demonstrating to the examiner you thoroughly understand single engine aerodynamics. Four factors that make up a critical engine, certification of Vmc and how each factor effects Vmc (cg, gross weight, flaps, side slip, etc). The actual practical in the plane will just be an exercise of what you go over in the oral examination. Vmc demo, engines shut down in the pattern, some approaches with several being single engine.

Where most multi engine pilots kill themselves, is with an engine shut down (or lost). Single engine skills are perishable like anything else.

<---- speaking from years of multi engine instruction. PM if you have questions.

Just remember when you lose an engine on takeoff yell out FUCK!

Firewall everything
Undercarriage up
Check dead engine
Kill dead engine

:)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
And when you do your practical.. DO NOT DO IT IN PENSACOLA... Heard the dude (FAA Examiner) seems cool enough but is actually a TOOL... Go up to Jasper, AL (Near BHAM) and do it with 'Gordo'.. He is a FEDEX MD-11 Capt and cool as shit... Bring your second liver with you!

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Hmmmm, how could he get to an airport with a plane?

If he's going up for a multi engine check ride, he can't exactly take a multi engine plane up by himself FOR his check ride.

I know Helo guys are slow, try and keep up.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
All-ATPs works out of Gordo's hanger (Sander's Aviation).. Chucks takes a Stud up on a x-cntry, Out and Back, or just drive... All-ATPs has a Seminole there... If he is renting a plane what difference does it make... If he owned a one at PNS then it would be different.. But I still recommend Gordo! He is a Great American!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Chunks - make sure you have a good current printed copy of the PTS - also get the official FAA endorsed maneuver descriptions.

Learn the aircraft - you already know how to teach yourself an aircraft, so learn the critical things on the airframe you'll be training in. (hydraulic pumps, etc)

Finally - your CFI/MEI works for YOU! He is there to teach you what you need to know to pass the practical. You should be able to comfortably cover everything in 9-12 hours of flight time.

I did mine on a Piper Aztec about 9 hours of instruction , another 2 to practice the checkride and 1.5 for the ride itself. No sweat.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Chunks - make sure you have a good current printed copy of the PTS - also get the official FAA endorsed maneuver descriptions.

Learn the aircraft - you already know how to teach yourself an aircraft, so learn the critical things on the airframe you'll be training in. (hydraulic pumps, etc)

Finally - your CFI/MEI works for YOU! He is there to teach you what you need to know to pass the practical. You should be able to comfortably cover everything in 9-12 hours of flight time.

I did mine on a Piper Aztec about 9 hours of instruction , another 2 to practice the checkride and 1.5 for the ride itself. No sweat.

Probably won't be a whole lot of systems discussion beyond the prop, how it feathers, what systems it uses to unfeather, etc. Agree though 9 hours is a good average. Had students of mine vary from 5 to 15. Ya, he does wor for you. If your CFI doesn't get into techincal discussion of multi engine aerodynamics, or it's obvious he doesn't understand them fully himself, fire him.

If you've ever flown a cherokee, arrow, etc. the seminole is the same thing, with a second engine.

(God I'm bored)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If he's going up for a multi engine check ride, he can't exactly take a multi engine plane up by himself FOR his check ride.
Are you sure about this? I am pretty sure an endorsement to get there and an endorsement to get back would be permissible.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Uh ya no.
Actually....with endorsements under 61.87 and 61.93 you can do it. It is the same you would give to a single engine student. If you cannot do it, where does it say so? Way back when, I was endorsed to XC from Johns Island SC to Orangeburg for my PPL check, and endorsed back in case I busted the check.

Presolo aeronautical knowledge: section 61.87(b).
[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]I certify that ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]First name, MI, Last name[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) has satisfactorily completed the presolo knowledge exam of section 61.87(b) for the ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]make and model aircraft[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]). [/FONT]
[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-05 [/FONT]

Presolo flight training: section 61.87(c).

[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]I certify that ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]First name, MI, Last name[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) has received the required presolo training in a ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]make and model aircraft[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]). I have determined he/she has demonstrated the proficiency of section 61.87(d) and is proficient to make solo flights in ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]make and model aircraft[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]). [/FONT]​

[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-05 [/FONT]

[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]Solo cross-country flight: section 61.93(c)(2). [/FONT]

[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]I have reviewed the cross-country planning of ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]First name, MI, Last name[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]). I find the planning and preparation to be correct to make the solo flight from ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]location[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) to ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]destination[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) via ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]route of flight[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) with landings at ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]name the airports[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) in a ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]make and model aircraft[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) on ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]date[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]). ([/FONT][FONT=JFILBL+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]List any applicable conditions or limitations.[/FONT][FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]) [/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=JFIKGN+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]

Ref: FAA AC 61-65E​

[/FONT]

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
61.87 falls under subpart C which stipulates requirements for a STUDENT PILOT solo. Since it's in pursuit of an additional rating to a certificate that's already held, doesn't apply.

Study the FAR's before you start interpreting, or you'll get yourself a violation.