• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Before they became "Flight Attendants" they were known as "Stewardesses".... oh yeah!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think "Steward" and "Stewardess" are totally acceptable... the dictionary definition certainly agrees: "steward
1 a person who looks after the passengers on a ship, aircraft, or train and brings them meals."

Same holds for "Stewardess."
Think all you want. You call them that and they will probably give you shitty service. They are brain washed that their primary function is safety (plane evac, etc.) and serving stuff is secondary. While technically true, we all know in reality it ends up being 95% service and 5% safety. But on those rare occasions when an evac does happen, they always seem to make it work.....

They can be real ass pains but the FAs do serve a critical safety purpose and are needed. Flight Attendant describes their function a lot better than Stewardess or Steward. I can't really blame they for not wanting to be called "Stew". This is not so much of a PC thing, but is more of a reflection of how their job functions and scope have changed since the days of the DC-3.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Think all you want. You call them that and they will probably give you shitty service. They are brain washed that their primary function is safety (plane evac, etc.) and serving stuff is secondary. While technically true, we all know in reality it ends up being 95% service and 5% safety. But on those rare occasions when an evac does happen, they always seem to make it work.....

They can be real ass pains but the FAs do serve a critical safety purpose and are needed. Flight Attendant describes their function a lot better than Stewardess or Steward. I can't really blame they for not wanting to be called "Stew". This is not so much of a PC thing, but is more of a reflection of how their job functions and scope have changed since the days of the DC-3.

I get it...sort of. I just think that maybe this is part of the overall attempt to instill a greater sense of self-worth in people by elevating their job titles. Janitor became custodian became custodial engineer. Garbageman became trash collector became sanitation worker. Hooker became prostitute became sex worker.

Just because a job is not a "professional" position does not make it less valuable or the person performing it less important. Stewards took care of people riding ships and trains for hundred of years. It's an essential position--there's not dishonor in that. I'm sure some of them helped the people onto the lifeboats occasionally, even. Why we had to change that job title is beyond me.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Yes- SWA had some closers too, "but"- the PSA gals were flat out the hottest college coed's any HR department could find. Steam level mini's never go out of style.
I swear these gals were so enamored with the pilot and co pilot, there were no hetero males on those flights that didn't want to become a pilot after watching the pre-takeoff crew dynamic. They were the FUN team! The chemistry and/or hormonal desires among the flight crew were palpable.

What the heck happened to hetero comrade in commercial aviation? Now we seem to have lot's of Slater types who smother the hetero musk. Another real world example of politically correct indoctrination tainting the perceptions of the young masses. Sad.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here are a couple more of the day, including Braniff's edgy one that I think A4s may have previously posted:
[no videos here, but the PSA women were by far the best!!!!]​

Air Strip:

Hot Pants:

Fly Maggie
:icon_tong