• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Been doing some thinking

cgoetz

Well today I met with my recruiter and we went over my paerwork. Everything looked except when we got to my ASTB scores he said I could submit with my current scores but it was not going to get picked up for aviator. I decided however I'm going to submit anyway because right know I'm all caught up in school and I don't have anytime to study for it. I know I probably will get denied but I feel its worth the try and I feel it will give me experience with the whole process. Also I thought about joining the Marine Corps instead of the Navy. Now I know what everyone is probably thinking I'm planning to join the Marine corps so I can avoid retaking the test. I'll be honest that is part of it but not the whole reason. I have been leaning towards the corps for the last year. I have discovered that for some reason I like the corps' style and the values that the Marine Corps instills in individuals. I wish I had something better than that but its the best I can do. I think in a lot of cases the Marine Corps is going to be tough, probably tougher than the Navy, but if you make it is definately worth it. Either way its still means becoming a Naval Aviator. If thats not enough reason I think the uniforms look really sick.;)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well today I met with my recruiter and we went over my paerwork. Everything looked except when we got to my ASTB scores he said I could submit with my current scores but it was not going to get picked up for aviator.
Like I suggested before when you disclosed your mediocre ASTB scores: stop being lazy, study, and take the test again.

cgoetz

My scores were 5,6,5;44. I know I could retake it but like I said I think its more important to focus on school. I feel that if I take it now I don't think I will be able to do that much better since my mind will mostly be on school. And to the person who called me lazy. I don't what you say about me, either way I'm doing what I'm going to do what I'm going to do. I never said I wasn't retaking the test I'm just not doing it right away.

Lobster

spekkio is right get after it if this is something you really want, how strong is the rest of your package though, I had 4/5/6 42 and got picked up but the rest of my package was really strong and I had some unreal LOR's

cgoetz

Well, I have three LORs from pretty good sources. One is a navy commander, the other is from an assistant chief for the NYC police department and good friend of the family, and the third is from a college professor and former naval aviator. My GPA is a 3.27 for a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics at Embry Riddle. I'm part of three clubs one is the Naval Aviation Club which I'm currently the treasurer of. I was never a sports kind of a guy but I feel confident that I can pass the PRT with some work. My only blemish on my record are some medical factors which I've mentioned before on this site, and after doing some research realize that it is possible for me to get them. Other than that I feel very confident with my package.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Like I suggested before when you disclosed your mediocre ASTB scores: stop being lazy, study, and take the test again.

Going to have to agree with Spekkio as well. If this is something you really want then you will find time to study for one of the most important parts of the package. I'm in 5 junior level engineering classes working 3 days a week and I managed an 8/9/8. If you don't think you have time now, try to study during the Christmas break.

I noticed you're in Daytona Beach, but if you're ever near UCF you can come take my study guides free of charge. I've got both ARCO's and the Barrons. It doesn't require too much time, an hour or two a day for 2-3 weeks will probably boost your score up 2 points a section.

SanDog Native

What percent of SWOs get boats?
Well today I met with my recruiter and we went over my paerwork. Everything looked except when we got to my ASTB scores he said I could submit with my current scores but it was not going to get picked up for aviator. I decided however I'm going to submit anyway because right know I'm all caught up in school and I don't have anytime to study for it. I know I probably will get denied but...

Dude, you know your scores aren't competitive for an aviation slot. You acknowledge as much in your post. If you want it bad enough, you'll find the time to study and improve your scores. The ASTB is big part of the package, and you want to make you package as competitive as possible. What's the point of submitting a package that has a high likelihood of being non-selected?

I have to agree with Spekkio, it sounds like your being lazy. If you can't find a couple hours a day to study and improve your scores, it must not be very important to you.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Dude, ERAU and Navy LORs aren't going to save a shitty score. ESPECIALLY if you have to wait six months, and get new LORs or get them resigned or something. Just STUDY, take it again, kick ass, and submit for the first time on the right foot, and annihilate the competition. Would you rather get picked up in 2 months, or 10? Work hard now for it to pay off later, as opposed to being lazy now, working hard ANYWAY later and then waiting much longer.

I'm no recruiter, but looking at stats from plenty of guys on this site and in API, those scores WILL NOT get you selected (all things being equal)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What does the Naval Aviation Club do?
One guy I interviewed with tried to impress ADM Donald by pointing out that he was president of his fraternity. The ADM's response was "That's not leadership, that's being a glorified secretary."

I don't think being treasurer of the aviation club is going to earn cgoetz too many points.

I'm no recruiter, but looking at stats from plenty of guys on this site and in API, those scores WILL NOT get you selected (all things being equal)
If things are similar to the way they were when I was doing OHARP two months ago, you are correct. My district was vehemently trying to recruit nukes (both instructors and sub/swos); they were already at quota with other designators.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
You wanted our advice, so you should expect some tough love in the responses and you need to stop trying to justify your current mediocre ASTB scores.

Suggested course of action:
1) Stop wasting your time thinking about whether or not to study for this test.
2) Study. Just one weekend of studying will solidly improve your scores, guaranteed our your money back.
3) Retake the test and get your new scores.
4) Now reconsider your options, once you've given it your best shot.

Seriously dude, if you really want to be a naval aviator, then you need to realize that a few hundredths of a point on your precious GPA aren't going to mean shit compared to what higher scores on your ASTB will mean. You can stop making excuses and make the time to study, or keep making excuses and end up as a civ or a SWO. It's your choice and yours alone.

Your numbers aren't even that competitive for Marine Air, so don't fool yourself there either. Your ASTB scores shouldn't weigh into your decision between the two services...period. You haven't reached that point yet.

/end rant.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
2) Study. Just one weekend of studying will solidly improve your scores, guaranteed our your money back.

No lie. I studied exactly 3 hours for the ASTB before I took it my junior year. I got straight 8's. I'm a F***ing poli sci major, for pete's sake. It's not impossible.

Put your man pants on, crack an ARCO book, learn how to recognize those angles and dangles pictures, and get a decent score.

Or, don't get selected, break out your slide rule and pocket protector, and enjoy being an aerospace engineer designing planes other guys who actually sacked up will love flying. Thanks in advance!