• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a SWO, what to look forward to

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Being a SWO and being in the Infantry have a lot of similarities; such as deployments, shitty work hours, and cut throat people. Lol. Except I will no longer have to sleep in the dirt.

You say that now, until you find yourself in a warm, hidden spot in Aux 2, and you haven't slept in nearly 48 hours. That pile of greasy rags will look pretty darn welcoming under those conditions.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
You say that now, until you find yourself in a warm, hidden spot in Aux 2, and you haven't slept in nearly 48 hours. That pile of greasy rags will look pretty darn welcoming under those conditions.
I've slept in worse. Lol.

Now my question is what makes you stay up for 48 hours?

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
I'm glad to see I won't be missing out on those anymore.

How do you get what specialty you'll go into?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Reindeer games and institutional inertia.

Oh, and watch! Lots of it! Like a SWO commander once told me: "If you go to sleep in the same day you woke up, you're wrong."

Thankfully that attitude seems to be changing with all of the incidents at sea lately. Transitions to a fixed watchbill with down time to sleep and rest are now becoming the norm versus the old rotating style that used to be popular.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm glad to see I won't be missing out on those anymore.

How do you get what specialty you'll go into?

What is this specialty you speak of? As a SWO you're a jack of all trades, or at least expected to be. Air Warfare (kill missiles and planes), Surface Warfare (kill ships and boats), Undersea Warfare (kill subs not whales), Anti-Terrorism, Amphibious Operations, Humanitarian Operations, "Engineering," ship driving, and general Navy stuff, are all things you have to know. The amount of mastery of these things that is expected of you will depend upon your CO.

azguy

None
SWOs "specialize," and I use that term loosely, over the course of multiple tours. For that reason, you are given the option to self select a specialty. For example, you can choose to go be an Anti-Submarine Warfare Officer in your second Divo tour, then a Weapons Officer later, etc.

As a first tour guy, you will get a working knowledge of everything, not much depth though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, and watch! Lots of it! Like a SWO commander once told me: "If you go to sleep in the same day you woke up, you're wrong."

Thankfully that attitude seems to be changing with all of the incidents at sea lately. Transitions to a fixed watchbill with down time to sleep and rest are now becoming the norm versus the old rotating style that used to be popular.

Believe it or not, the Surface community owes a lot of that to the aviators. In the 2004-2005 timeframe, NAMI/Navy Medicine/CNATRA was starting to really push the fatigue studies that were being done which equated lack of sleep to BAC. It was actually pretty interesting to get briefed by one of the main docs (whose name unfortunately escapes me right now) who was part of the studies. By 2008-09, it had actually made its way into the 3710 and the Surface community was starting to take note. By 2010, it seemed to be something that ship COs were actually taking seriously.

But I'll always appreciate the walking penis that played the role of a ship XO who decided to throw smoke grenades into the Air Det's birthing during GQ drills. Nice job douche. We'll just go ahead and cancel tomorrows flight schedule now.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Cool. How do I go about applying for a VBSS team?

You'll get the chance after you check on your ship. Definitely not a guarantee though, depending on your job you might be ineligible (Communications and Strike Officers on first ship were prohibited from things like VBSS). Plus, the team might be full.

It's really not as glorified as it's made out to be.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
You'll get the chance after you check on your ship. Definitely not a guarantee though, depending on your job you might be ineligible (Communications and Strike Officers on first ship were prohibited from things like VBSS). Plus, the team might be full.

It's really not as glorified as it's made out to be.
What exactly is a strike officer?

I guess that when I think of a VBSS team, I think of high speed raids but it's probably more like a cordon and search of an area. Lol

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What exactly is a strike officer?

I guess that when I think of a VBSS team, I think of high speed raids but it's probably more like a cordon and search of an area. Lol

It's more like "there's a small, smelly fishing boat with a bunch of suspicious dudes on it. Go over in a less than calm sea state, get all wet because the RHIB has zero freeboard, then mill about searching the fishing boat, looking for voids while it rolls violently and the suspicious dudes just look at you. On the plus side, it will probably be at least 120 degrees down below."

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's more like "there's a small, smelly fishing boat with a bunch of suspicious dudes on it. Go over in a less than calm sea state, get all wet because the RHIB has zero freeboard, then mill about searching the fishing boat, looking for voids while it rolls violently and the suspicious dudes just look at you. On the plus side, it will probably be at least 120 degrees down below."

I heard inspecting sheep transports is pretty awesome.

sheep-transport-11.jpg

sheep-herded-into-ship-data.jpg