• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a Naval Officer Recruiter

Excited Mid

I was wondering how one, upon commissioning, can become a teacher, a unit member at an nrotc unit, or a recruiter. I was wondering this because it is my third choice of naval career, after aviator and SWO board and search team. Please help me out, i tried using the search feature but typing in "recruiter" didn't help too much. Thanks for the help.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...so, you're asking how to get into the "Recruiter" career? Doesn't exist. Recruiting, ROTC instructor, etc, are shore duty postings. IOW, something you do between tours at sea.

JTB7

I know in the USMC there is B-billets where you become a wide range of things, such as a OSO(recruiter), NROTC coordinator, FAC, etc. But you have a primary MOS such as 0302 or 7513. So being an OSO wouldnt be your primary job in the Marines(in your case the Navy).

Excited Mid

ok cool, but i was wondering how the same officer at my unit has been there for years, it seems as though he doesn't go on tours, he's a SWO but he's there all year round for three years

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My Recruiter was an ENS right out of ROTC. He took some HR random slot which came up at his unit. NOT the normal career path, but he got the opportunity and took it. Ask your CoC if there are any slots open.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok cool, but i was wondering how the same officer at my unit has been there for years, it seems as though he doesn't go on tours, he's a SWO but he's there all year round for three years

A normal shore tour is typically three years long. You rotate between sea tours, where you're serving in your primary designator (SWO), and shore tours, where you can serve in more general billets like ROTC instructor. Anyone can generally do a tour as an ROTC instructor during their shore tour, but it's not a career enhancing move typically. If you want my advice, put the whole "maybe I'll get an HR slot" idea out of your mind. Choose a regular designator and go with that.

Brett

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
My Recruiter was an ENS right out of ROTC. He took some HR random slot which came up at his unit. NOT the normal career path, but he got the opportunity and took it. Ask your CoC if there are any slots open.

I worked this out after I commissioned. I went TAD to NRD Chicago for a month before reporting to NASC. Another classmate of mine did something similar in upstate NY.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I worked this out after I commissioned. I went TAD to NRD Chicago for a month before reporting to NASC. Another classmate of mine did something similar in upstate NY.

Um, I mean his DESIGNATOR was some obsure HR thing that usually didn't go to ROTC commissionees. He was an OSO ENS and is now an OPO LT. It has become his career path.