• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a College Programmer?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
How far do you have to be from graduation to be join the college program? I ask because I am about a year from graduating, and was going to be putting in an OCS application in a couple months. I want to get a commission though anyway I can, and I was wondering if I could join NROTC through the college program with the idea of stretching out my degree. I have been taking 18 credit hours or more a semester and I could easily nock this down a few hours, or I could pick up a double major, etc. If I were to join the college program in the fall could I commission say the next December? Can you still apply for OCS if you are in the college program? I figure what's another semester or two if it guarantees me a commission. Thanks for your help. If anyone asks why I didn't join before now, I was not at a school that had NROTC.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I was going to do NROTC but due to things out of my control (long story) I didnt get in. However what I do know is that the college program is for 2 years(+a 6 week indoc school in Rhode Island if im correct) and at full time student status, so december is probably out of the question. I would just start the OCS process now and not worry about paying for the extra classes to stretch your degree. If anything, contact the nearest NROTC unit and ask them directly.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Thats what I figured, thanks. I'm just trying to find any extra options.

RiceOwl06

xmid,
At our unit, we have had people with more than 2 years of school under their belt come in trying to pick up a 2 year scholarship/advanced standing. I would think the bare minimum you would have to be at an NROTC unit would be 2.5 years, since you would have to put in all the paperwork and take a PRT and jump through all the hoops. And since it would likely take the command a bit of time before they were willing to give you a solid endorsement, 3 years would likely be the minimum time. I am basing this only on what I have seen the past 4 years at my command. So, if you love school, that would be okay, but school gets old real fast, especially if you don't absolutely have to be there and have to pay for it yourself. But like said before, it doesn't hurt to ask, and it could be a good option if OCS doesn't fly. Good luck whatever course you choose to pursue.

Hmmm...I would add that they would probably want you to be NO LESS than 2 years away from graduation to pick up Advanced Standing...that way you get time to train and soak up all that NROTC knowledge. :)

-jai5w4

xmid

pilot
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
...that way you get time to train and soak up all that NROTC knowledge. :)

-jai5w4

I was an academy guy for a couple of years so I have lived the life for a little while. I understand them wanting me in the program longer though. I was just trying to see if I had any options other than OCS at this point. Thanks for the reply.

navychick

You have to have the 2 years left to get into NROTC. If I were you, and you could stretch out school...do it. You'll be better prepared and you would get to stay in school that much longer. I know that the Navy also offers late scholarships as well for NROTC, so def ask about it.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I was a college programmer so I can speak to this. With my unit, they required you to have two years left. It was so that you could do the whole NSI thing in Rhode Island (said above, no fun), then you still have to do all of the ROTC classes/requirements back at your unit. It's not impossible to do in under 2 years, I would just assume you would need the summer to complete NSI. Good luck!!

I was a CPer myself, and went through all 4 years of NROTC. It's another way to do it. You aren't "officially" contracted to the Navy until after that second year (after NSI for you, I would assume).

I'd suggest, as said, to get on the horn ASAP with the nearest unit (or 2) and see what they have to say. Do you think you can stretch out your education for 2 years? (I wonder if they will let that happen...?)

Look forward to seeing what you find out from the actual units.

-jai5w4

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
RiceOwl06 said:
xmid,
At our unit, we have had people with more than 2 years of school under their belt come in trying to pick up a 2 year scholarship/advanced standing. I would think the bare minimum you would have to be at an NROTC unit would be 2.5 years, since you would have to put in all the paperwork and take a PRT and jump through all the hoops. And since it would likely take the command a bit of time before they were willing to give you a solid endorsement, 3 years would likely be the minimum time. I am basing this only on what I have seen the past 4 years at my command. So, if you love school, that would be okay, but school gets old real fast, especially if you don't absolutely have to be there and have to pay for it yourself. But like said before, it doesn't hurt to ask, and it could be a good option if OCS doesn't fly. Good luck whatever course you choose to pursue.

Yarrr.... He be speaking of me, mateys. I started the program with about 2 1/2 years left until graduation and I am still trying to pick up. Enjoying your stash time, sir?

pdx

HSM Pilot
xmid said:
Looks like I'm going to OCS. Thanks guys.

As long as you have a year left, you can apply for BDCP. You'd still go to OCS, but you would be making more money and you'd get paid to go to school for a year.

There is never really a good reason to wait on an application. NROTC and BDCP overlap, so do BDCP and OCS. If it is too late for one, go on to the next. The sooner you get the ball rolling, the better your chances are.