• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beautiful Flying....period

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Peter Besenyei (Of Red Bull Air Races) , Svetlana Kapanina and others doing what they do best.

How much would an Extra 300 be again? Hope you enjoy...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Peter Besenyei is the man. There were times when I thought I was watching an RC plane. Some of the things they do make me drool. Great vid man.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was doing aileron rolls w/ a stud the other day and he made me drool. But it wasn't because they were "beautiful." I don't think you're supposed to get negaitve G's on that manuever. :)

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Can anybody explain to me how simple propellor planes like this with one propeller in the middle counteract the torque produced by it?

I know helicopters use the tail rotor for that, but there is no visible method used by these planes. Anybody know how planes like this do it?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can anybody explain to me how simple propellor planes like this with one propeller in the middle counteract the torque produced by it?

I know helicopters use the tail rotor for that, but there is no visible method used by these planes. Anybody know how planes like this do it?

Propeller Torque

Brett

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
To anybody who has a private pilot's license: you seriously have to have an imbalance in the ailerons the entire time you're flying just to take care of this effect?

I went flying twice before I applied to be a pilot, just to see if it was all it's cracked up to be (and it was). I don't remember having to do this.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To anybody who has a private pilot's license: you seriously have to have an imbalance in the ailerons the entire time you're flying just to take care of this effect?

I went flying twice before I applied to be a pilot, just to see if it was all it's cracked up to be (and it was). I don't remember having to do this.

The effect is really quite minimal and some of it is countered in the basic design of the aircraft, but it is noticeable with large power changes. It's just another one of those things like P-factor and adverse yaw that are talked about a lot in theory, but aren't that significant in practice.

Brett

thull

Many prop planes have small, built in differences in angle of attack between left and right wings to counteract the torque of the engine (greatest during take off or slow, accelerated flight). also the props generate a slight cork-screw airflow opposite the direction of engine torque...this airflow pushes on wings/fuselage aiding in countering torque. So.. lots of little things add up to help counter the overall torque.

C-Mike

...you seriously have to have an imbalance in the ailerons the entire time you're flying just to take care of this effect?

To add on to what others have said, torque and especially adverse yaw can be quite significant in extremely slow flight when nearing max angle of attack and stall speed. A signficant amount of right rudder and moderate 'right' aileron are needed to maintain coordinated flight (aside from pitch). ...At least this is what I have experienced from PPL manuevers/experience level.

To those more knowledgable than I, is my usage of "cordinated flight (aside from pitch)" correct/applicable?
Thx.

SemperApollo

Some aircraft have their engine installed with a slight cant to help offset the torque. The PC-12 and DA-20 are two examples. And then there are aircraft like the TexanII that have rudder autotrim that keep the ball nearly centered at all times above a certain speed. This was the case when it was still known as the Raytheon MkII, I'm not sure if thats currently the case.