• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDU tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Honour_Class

I'm a naval officer but will need to wear BDU's for the first time at my next command. Can anyone point me towards some tricks of trade from those who wear these uniforms on a regular basis?

Thanks for your input!

Ok, first off, what community are you and where are you heading?

Now a few things I’ve noticed in my time in Boots and Utes

Sleeves are a ***** to roll. Button the sleeve on the first button, roll over the cuff aprox 1/2 an inch depending on the size of your arm (to give the cuff a smaller circumference) make sure you keep that circumference as you roll the sleeve, and keep the fabric very tight

you shouldn't starch your uniform bc the starch lights up like a x-mas tree in inferred. but if you aren't going on in the field, about a can a uniform will work nicely. I know a lot of ppl take them out in town and have them starched and pressed, which looks pretty sharp.

Pretty likely everything will be a little large when you get it, so wash it in hot water.

Order your covers a little small so it rests on top your head. you can use cardboard to help it keep it's shape, especially in the front.

There will be IP’s from hell every time BDU's come out of the dryer

Blousing straps suck, make sure you have them over your boots or they will dig into your leg.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, first stop calling them BDUs. Even in the Navy, you're still better off calling them "cammies" or "utilities."

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
If you are attached to a Marine unit you MAY get diggies, but as far as I know only Devil Docs and Padres get those. Otherwise you will get the woodland cammies, I wear those (as a Midn). I put tape, like masking tape, on the crease line, inside, then iron them, makes the crease friggin sharp. Seeing how I will not be seeing combat in NROTC I startch the mother out of my cammies, make them look crisp. Mine stand up on thier own now :D

Also, when your iron your pockets, put cardboard under the pocket flap then Iron, that prevents the button outline from imprinting on the flap. Make sure all your buttons are buttoned all the time. The sleeve rolling is a pain, but the tighter it is, they sharper you look. If you get the 8-point cover , you can iron it and starch it, to keep it nice and crisp, also you can put cardboard (i think they sell the kits at the NEX) in the sides of the cover to keep it upright. Boot straps, I use the green elastics, some use the spring kind or the chain kind, the green ones dont hurt or anything, just make sure they cover the top of your boots.

Maybe some Marines can give better advice, but thats all i have

HueyCobra8151

pilot
There are a lot of little tricks you can do.

When you starch, run the iron over the fabric first to heat it up, so the starch soaks in. Then rub your hand over the area to spread out the remaining starch. This prevents your cammies from becoming shiny. (So it's Iron, Starch, Smooth, Iron) It is a little more work, but it definitely pays off (IMO). (This is woodlands only. If you are wearing diggies, just wash and wear)

Tie two boot bands together in the middle. This makes your boot blouse tighter and makes it look a little better. Basically, instead of using one boot band, you are using two.

If you aren't standing an inspection, and you want a set of cammies to look squared away, just for every-day usage, you could consider going to a tailor shop and having the buttons on the pockets removed, and getting the flaps sown down. Also the fabric on the cargo pockets can be sown down flat. I have seen more than a few people do this to their cammies and it looks pretty outstanding. Make sure the tailor does a good job, so that everything looks squared away. (Also for woodlands only)

I have heard of it, but never seen it done. Apparently, you can take Fishing-line, tape it to the inside of a crease (make sure this is done with perfect precision). Then iron it on the highest heat and really mash the iron down. Then remove the tape. Supposedly the fishing-line will melt to the inside of the crease, and you will have perfect razor sharp creases every time.

You might want to practice that one on an old unserviceable set of cammies first, if you want to try it at all that is. (Woodlands only)

For the cover. Get a piece of cardboard and cut it up and place it in the flaps on the inside to get it to stand up straight with no wrinkles. Also, you might want to get a piece of cardboard and cut it down to size in an octagon shape and place it in the top of your cover. This will make it look really sharp, just make sure it is large enough to be tight on the top, or else it might fall out.

For the bill of the cover, get a can (brass-o works perfect) and a ruler. Tape the ruler to one side of the can, so that it sticks straight up. Now put the back of the cover on the ruler, and pull the bill down so that it wraps around the can (giving it the perfect shape). Now take two boot bands and wrap them around the bill to hold the cover in shape. Starch it liberally, and give it a weekend to dry out. On monday it will be ready to go.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're really into creases, putting Elmer's Glue on the inside of the crease, then ironing, will do the same thing, and it washes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.