• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP to pilot, eyesight question

montgomery02

Im about to apply for the BDCP and I wondering if pilot was even a possibility for me. My eyesight is 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other. I have read that I could get PRK surgery and get a waiver, is this true? Can I apply for BDCP and if I get accepted, get the surgery while I finish college or do I have to have it done before I apply?

JSnake

You must have 20/40 in both eyes before you apply to be accepted into BDCP SNA. So in other words, pilot is not a possibility for you at the moment. You can get PRK before you apply, and after 6 months, apply for the BDCP and apply for a waiver.

Do a search. There are dozens of threads with your exact question.

crumpkd

Snake is correct, However PRK surgery is not always 100 percent accurate that coming from my recruiter. I'm currently a SNA in BDCP so I know a few things. Secondly, you have to be able to have depth perception so check on that test.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
I know there is like a billion posts about PRK and the like but I haven't seen any that are recent that talk about the options for eyesight correction. Is PRK still the best way to go or is there other surgeries that the Navy is allowing now like epi-lasek?

Tiger-Flyer

I was selected for BDCP (pilot) in July 2008. I had PRK in December 2007. Eyesight was horrible. The big "E" on the eye chart looked like gray lines. After PRK, my eyesight was and still is 20/15. You do have to fix your eyes before you apply. I'm not sure about other options accepted today. Last I heard was Lasik is accepted for anything other than pilot.

P.S. still in BDCP, I graduate in May 2010, OCS June 6, 2010.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Thanks for the info. I'm going in two weeks to have my consultation for PRK. I hate waiting that long but they want me to not wear contacts that long. Really looking forward to it though. If you don't mind me asking. How long did the process take for you to get your final select for BDCP SNA? I'm only asking is because I start my last two years at University starting in the fall of 2010 in like August or september and I'll have my PRK in January. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Topper

arianjalali

They DO allow Epi-LASEK for the waiver. The procedure takes off the corneal epithelium in the same manner as PRK does except that it uses a dissolving solution instead of a "scrubbing apparatus" like PRK. Hope that helps! I had my consult and am getting my eyeballs lasered on January 16th.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Does Epi-Lasek take the same amount of recovery time as PRK? Just wondering because I don't have short term disability at work so the time I'm out will be unpaid. I work as a tech agent in a call center with glass walls staring at a computer screen and from the other posts it seems like for the first few days bright lights will be the enemy.

Tiger-Flyer

I had PRK done in December 2007. Submitted my application late May 2008 and found out I was selected in July 2008 took the oath July 24, 2008. I don't know anything about EPI-LASIK but you are correct in knowing the first few days after PRK are not very pleasent. The best way I've heard it described is like a sun-burn on your eye. Day 2 and 3 felt like that but I was prescribed vicadin which did help. PRK is a little better in the long run compared to LASIK. As you can see from my last post the resutls were great!

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Congrats on the BDCP SNA and thanks for the info. I have my PRK consult on January 15th and hopefully the surgery won't be long after that.

Astronauticus

I have a question. My eyesight is 20/40-45 in each eye and are corrected to 20/15 with glasses. I found this procedure called supralase which is all laser, no mechanical nothing. It's similar to PRK an Epi LASEK so will the Navy accept it?

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
I have a question. My eyesight is 20/40-45 in each eye and are corrected to 20/15 with glasses. I found this procedure called supralase which is all laser, no mechanical nothing. It's similar to PRK an Epi LASEK so will the Navy accept it?

That's really a good question. However, NAMI's website where all the waivers are don't say anything about that procedure and only specifically speak of PRK, which is waiverable and LASIK, which is an automatic DQ unless you get in on the test group that the Navy is doing. Because of that I would lean towards no but you should definitely ask your officer recruiter so they can check for sure and especially don't do anything unless the officer recruiter talks to NAMI to make sure it's ok. Just wanted to say that because there is tons of talk about EPI-LASEK and although it is really similar to PRK, there is nothing that I've ever seen on NAMI's waiver guide about it. Just don't want you to pay for that surgery and then when you apply for a waiver get told that you'll be permanently DQ'd because you tried that.

I did get my PRK done on January 21st and my vision is great and there was no pain at all involved. My procedure was an all laser procedure too and PRK really doesn't have any mechanical procedures at all unless they use the electric tooth brush thing but definitely will not use the mechanical blade because then you're having LASIK which right now = bad.

Your vision isn't horrible though and the official word on NAMI's website does say that the vision for an SNA has to be no worse than 20/40 so if you test atleast that then you might not have a problem.

Here's a link to NAMI"s website waiver guides
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Pages/default.aspx

I hope that link works because the server was too busy so I couldn't check it. If it isn't then just Google search NAMI waiver guide and it's the first link.

Also here's a link to the PRK threads here on this website that will help you with alot.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Nugget61's thread is an awesome starting point for the step by step process and healing process and I have a thread on there about my surgery, the difference in the 5 different ways of performing PRK, financing the surgery, and step by step recovery process. I really hope this helps but if not feel free to post another question or send me a message :)

Astronauticus

Wow Topper Harley thank you very much for the response.:) Would you mind telling me the exact name of the PRK procedure you did so I can research doctors and locations? Also I have another question. I have read various posts about how if you want to get the surgery you need to get it done before applying for BDCP. What is the minimum wait from after undergoing the procedure to applying for BDCP?