• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP PRT and other questions

marks

Hey guys,

I'm a junior at USF and I just went to see my recruiter and began my BDCP pathway. I am a Junior in my major (mechanical engineering).

I had a couple of questions for those of you who have been accepted in to the program:

1) What did you score on the PRT? I want to get my PRT portion done, but at this point of time, my 1.5 mile will only be at 10 minutes (excellent medium). My push ups and curl ups are not a problem. Is excellent medium even enough to qualify as a SNA?

2) My GPA is a 2.85 this semester. Afterwards, though, I will have a GPA upwards of a 3.0. Should I wait till this semester is over? I want to get in ASAP.

3) How long does it generally take for the board to select its new applicants?

4) I have 20/60 correctable to 20/20. Does anyone know how long it takes to correct to 20/40 with glasses? What is the vision requirement for an NFO?

Thank you

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm a junior at USF and I just went to see my recruiter and began my BDCP pathway. I am a Junior in my major (mechanical engineering).

I had a couple of questions for those of you who have been accepted in to the program:

1) What did you score on the PRT? I want to get my PRT portion done, but at this point of time, my 1.5 mile will only be at 10 minutes (excellent medium). My push ups and curl ups are not a problem. Is excellent medium even enough to qualify as a SNA?

2) My GPA is a 2.85 this semester. Afterwards, though, I will have a GPA upwards of a 3.0. Should I wait till this semester is over? I want to get in ASAP.

4) I have 20/60 correctable to 20/20. Does anyone know how long it takes to correct to 20/40 with glasses? What is the vision requirement for an NFO?

Thank you

1) My PRT scores weren't that great. I maxed the PU and SU but my run was a mediocre 11:04 (at altitude).
2) Apply now. If you get rejected, you can always apply later when your GPA is higher, unless your new grades are ABOUT to come out. Then just wait and submit the better grades. If it's going to be a couple months, just apply now.
3) boards typically meet every other week, so whenever you get your package in, it will go before the board soon after (usually a couple weeks to get to a board).
4)How long? Um.... the time it takes to put the glasses to your face. What the hell are you asking?

nugget61

pilot
Hey guys,

Thank you

1) ExMed is darn good.
2) 3.0 is more competitive than a 2.85... I would apply now and then if you're not selected, when you can reapply in 6 months you will have a better GPA then.
3)~A month to throw your package together, the boards meet in the middle of every month. The september and october threads are starting to pickup so you can ask timing questions there too. You find out shortly after the boards meet.
4) Search around for the vision, heres a good link for some min reqs: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm#2
If you mean PRK, you have to wait 6 months after the surgery.

marks

Thanks for the help guys.

When I asked about my correctable vision, I mean how long will it take for my eyes to naturally correct themselves using glasses? If I wear my glasses enough, will my vision eventually improve to 20/40 from 20/60? laser eye surgery is forbidden before being accepted as a SNA correct?

And one more question; Where can i find the marine gouge?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

When I asked about my correctable vision, I mean how long will it take for my eyes to naturally correct themselves using glasses? If I wear my glasses enough, will my vision eventually improve to 20/40 from 20/60? laser eye surgery is forbidden before being accepted as a SNA correct?

I don't understand what you mean by "how long will it take for your eyes to correct to 20/40"? Wearing glasses makes your eyes worse, not better (ya, ya, I know medical science says glasses don't do this, but whatever). Only laser surgery makes your eyes better. Get PRK if you want. You can apply for a pilot slot in ANY of the services after getting PRK. LASIK is not waiverable, but PRK is. You need to wait 3 or 6 months after PRK, depending on how bad your preop vision was.

nugget61

pilot

I know what you're saying about the vision, but its not going to go that far.
Here's the marine gouge: (pdf link) http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8&d=1077514867

There's a lot of good info on this site - search and ye shall find