• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Process

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I applied for BDCP about 13 months out from graduation. By the time I was sworn in, I was at OCS 10 months later.
I have also heard that when you submit the application for BDCP you may not be within 12 months of graduation. The difference for your case is that you applied earlier.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Okay all, I am in kind of a dilema here, so I could use some advice. I graduate in May 08' (less than a year away). I am applying for the BDCP program, and was going to try for SNA option. I still have to get PRK surgery for my eyes, and one of my eyes is a -3.25, which means that I will have to wait 6 months before I can submit the rest of my application for Final Select. This means that it would be possibly January, which is only one semester before I graduate. My chances of getting into BDCP will be slim to none, so I've heard. My OSO just informed me of an option I could try...

I can apply for SNFO under BDCP and get accepted for Final Select, which means I will start to get paid. As soon as that is happens I can go get the PRK surgery through my primary health provider and after the 6 months is up (for my eyes to stabilize) I can "reapply" for SNA under BDCP. He says that it is sort-of like a Lateral Transfer. He said he did it, and he has seen one other guy try it and get it.

My question is...Has anyone heard of or seen this type of applying for SNA? What do you think my chances of this working are? Any helpful advice or knowledge will be appreciated. Thanks!
Ryan, you could always wait and try for straight up OCS for SNA. If you accept SNFO be ready to never get a lateral transition to SNA. It is possible, but very hard. Your posts sounds as if your main desire is to go SNA, so do not necessarily compromise yet. If you would be happy doing either then take what you can get and live the life.

ryanber

Tom,
You are right that I really really really want SNA. However, I see the chances being very good in my favor of the transfer...as long as I try it before I graduate. (That could just be me, though, being hopeful). I have been thinking doing the "straight to OCS" thing and then SNA, but I won't be getting paid for my time as a senior in college. I know that my dreams are NO trade off for one years worth of pay, lol, but if I can get it AND get SNA this way then I guess I should go for it. I just hope this works.

I'll keep you all informed on the process, if you want, so that others in the future can resort to it. Wish me luck. lol

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Good luck...I think what everyone here is trying to say, or at least what I would put in, is that no matter how high your chances of getting SNA lateral transfer are, you may still have to end up taking SNFO. So if you're going to do this, make sure that you will be ok with being 'stuck' as that.
Is the pay really that important? You've already done three years without this BDCP pay, could one year really mean that much more? Weigh in that one year's pay with how much you want SNA, and the possibility that you'll have to stay SNFO. Considering how much you want the SNA slot, direct OCS may be better.

BigRed389

None
I have also heard that when you submit the application for BDCP you may not be within 12 months of graduation. The difference for your case is that you applied earlier.

My application got submitted with about 7 months to graduation.

ryanber

Great advice all. Thanks. I have thought about all this already, but I will admit that seeing it in writing makes me really realize the seriousness of it all.

I have decided to get the eye surgery now and try for SNA/BDCP when my 6 months of wait-time are up. If I don't get into BDCP, then no sweat...I'll just go straight OCS. Again thanks for the input everyone.

KState_Poke22

I know most of you guys hate me but for those that don't I would greatly appreciate your advice.

I decided I'm most likely going to at least apply for the BDCP. I'm within the 36 month window for applying with a technical degree and I am thinking about applying around August. I got a 3.1 last year I believe and have my private pilots license. I don't have many extracurricular activities other than playing club rugby last year at OSU and not much to put on the application as far as leadership experience goes. I'm for sure doing AFROTC in the fall and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and apply or wait until the end of the year or semester that way I could get better grades, put the AFROTC experience on there, maybe get into some more extracurricular activities, and have more flight time.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice and if I'm an idiot for even asking this I'm sorry in advance.

Also, I realize that an officer recruiter would be the best person to talk to this about but I've called the nearest office almost twice a day the past week and everytime I get voicemails, its hard to ask them to call me back cause I work 8-5 everyday. I usually call them on my breaks. Next time I'm in Stillwater I'll go by there but I don't know when that will be.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm for sure doing AFROTC in the fall and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and apply or wait until the end of the year or semester that way I could get better grades, put the AFROTC experience on there, maybe get into some more extracurricular activities, and have more flight time.

If you are doing AFROTC solely for extracurriculars and experience and not for an AF commission, go ahead and apply for BDCP now. The BDCP process is long and the faster you get in, the more peace of mind you'll have. By the time you finish the preliminary stuff in the BDCP process, you'll be well into AFROTC and such and if you are turned down, you can add your remainder of your extracurricular experience to the application.

ryanber

I would go ahead and apply as soon as you are able to apply. You can always reapply. The only limit, that I am aware of, is the amount of times you can retake the ASTB (3 times). Get it done early that way you can relax and as tiz84 put it ..."the more peace of mind you'll have".

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Talked to my recruiter today...my app is in, my MEPS physical and PRT are all done, so now all I have to wait on is to hear from the Boards.

Never been so nervous...Want Intel so bad!

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I just got accepted for Supply, but not Intel. I wanted to apply for IW, but my application got put in for AMDO instead...whoops.
Not sure if I should re-app or accept...