• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bdcp Nupoc

haramitsu2112

Hey guys,
I am applying to the NUPOC program. ASTB 7-8-9, OAR 61
5 LOR's, congreesman, Professors, Employers...
My GPA 2.8 :(
However I have been missing a lot of school because of a death in immed. family this last year. My GPA before this year was 3.5, so I am wondering how my selection board will view this information. Do I still have a chance?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GDGarrick said:
Hey guys,
I am applying to the NUPOC program. ASTB 7-8-9, OAR 61
5 LOR's, congreesman, Professors, Employers...
My GPA 2.8 :(
However I have been missing a lot of school because of a death in immed. family this last year. My GPA before this year was 3.5, so I am wondering how my selection board will view this information. Do I still have a chance?
Drop that semester and take those classes over.

skizkit

Out of curiosity... why did you take the ASTB if you're applying for NUPOC? I was of the understanding that the ASTB was not required for NUPOC applicants... (but those are kick ass scores though)

haramitsu2112

skizkit said:
Out of curiosity... why did you take the ASTB if you're applying for NUPOC? I was of the understanding that the ASTB was not required for NUPOC applicants... (but those are kick ass scores though)
Well, w/ my low GPA and possibility of going to another designation, I figured that any good points would make me look good. Besides, I am a pilot, my father and uncle both have their navy wings, I am too old to get in as SNA (30). But SNA is my second choice (why not try) if the Nuke community deems me unfit for sub service.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
Umm...if you are 30 I am pretty sure you cannot be an SNA unless you have prior-service and get the age waiver.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know how competitive things have gotten, but I don't think a 2.8 is the end of the world. You could wait until the end of this semester and then apply (NR interviews happend practically every month), or go ahead and apply now. I saw a guy get to the interview with a 2.8 in Comp Sci, and get selected.

The tough part is screening for the interviews in DC. Once you're there, the job is yours to lose...they have a slot for all interviewees and are trying to screen you in, not out. Unlike other things, if you're not selected at the interview, you can't reapply unless they invite you back.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I checked max age for NUC was 29. Hope I am wrong for your sake. Max age for pilot is 27. Prior service would help on the age a bit, but pilot is probably out regardles because of age. The 2.8 for NUPOC is probably going to be fatal unless you are from Harvey Mudd, MIT or something like that and your grades in math and physics are still solid. If you don't get NUPOC then keep at it and a 2.8 for an OCS NUC app will fly if you nail the tech interviews. Good luck.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
NUPOC is waiverable to 31...that GPA would probably hurt. CNRC lists 3.3+ as being competitive. I wonder if your recruiter would even allow you to put SNA down as you are past age limit...do you have any prior service?

Also...you are applying for BDCP??? When do you graduate, because all of these age limits are based on time of commissioning.

haramitsu2112

I will be graduating when I am 32 in May 08, My grades in math & physics are all A-B's except for this last year (mother passed away). So I had my congressman ask for an age waiver on my behalf, I will be retaking the classes I did poorly on this summer, and hope I shine like a diamond at my interviews. What kind of testing should I anticipate?

haramitsu2112

Wankertank said:
NUPOC is waiverable to 31...that GPA would probably hurt. CNRC lists 3.3+ as being competitive. I wonder if your recruiter would even allow you to put SNA down as you are past age limit...do you have any prior service?

Also...you are applying for BDCP??? When do you graduate, because all of these age limits are based on time of commissioning.

No prior service, yes I am applying NUPOC BDCP, and I will retake the classes

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Watertank got me on the age wavier for NUPOC. It is 31 and I had assumed it was just for prior service. I have never seen an age waiver for NUC , or anything else except prior service. For NUC, however, you don't need to be prior service to take it to 31. I have just never seen it. If your are going to be 32, though, you are nuked, so to speak. A congressman can not authorized the Navy to suspend its own regulations or break the law. If a waiver is provided for then you can request one. You can not get a waiver outside of the wavier limits. In otherwords, you can get a waiver for 31 years old, not 32 or 41. You can get a waiver for PRK surgery, not LASIK. Between your age and GPA, I am afraid you will not make it. If your recruiter puts you in for pilot he will get chewed out by CNRC. I'm sorry. Better talk to your recruiter about realistic options. There aren't many left for you.

haramitsu2112

wink said:
I'm sorry. Better talk to your recruiter about realistic options. There aren't many left for you.

If I go Intel or Crypto, can I lat transfer to nuke before, or after comissioning?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
GDGarrick said:
If I go Intel or Crypto, can I lat transfer to nuke before, or after comissioning?

Not likely. Since it looks like you're too old for Nuke, you won't be magically eligible once you're an intel or crypto (now IW) select prior to comissioning. While after comissioning it's technically possible, I haven't seen anybody selected by Subs on the lateral transfer board in the last 3 years.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
If it's nuclear power, not submarine service, that interests you more, then perhaps you could consider a posting as a nuclear power school instructor. Candidates for the NPS instructor program are commissioned as restricted line officers in the Human Resources community and sent to Officer Indoctrination School in Newport. After "knife and fork school", you'd go to Charleston, SC to teach reactor theory, math, physics, or any number of topics to enlisted nuclear power students. The tour is four years, and I have a feeling they may be more lenient towards your age (I knew instructors who were given waivers for a lot of other issues). Talk to the OSO and see what he/she thinks if this interests you.