• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP, is this true?

melissanavy07

I'm interested in applying to the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program, so I contacted a Navy recruiter. He said that I need to sign paperwork and take the physical then be in DEP, before I can apply to the program. Is this true? I don't want to enlist and then not be able to apply for the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program. Is it possible to just apply as a civilian. I'm a junior in college, so I don't want to be forced to go to bootcamp, if for some reason I'm not accepted into the program. My school doesn't offer NROTC, so I thought this was a good option. Thanks

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As I'm sure others will soon chyme in, DO NOT ENLIST. You need to talk to an officer recruiter. The enlisted recruiter you talked to is trying to trick you in to enlisting in order to reach his quota or get his bonus. This seems pretty standard with the enlisted recruiters, they aren't the most honest people in the world. I'm sure someone will give you the website to find your nearest officer recruiter. Only speak to them.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
HELL's NO.

He is lying to you and I want his name and phone number, please.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN DEP TO APPLY FOR THE BDCP PROGRAM!!

In fact, they are required to forward your information to the Officer Programs Department.

Man this hacks me off. I apologize for the trouble this recruiter caused. Good thing you came to AW to get the straight scoop.

Yes, you can and should apply to BDCP as a civilian. I will provide the information on an Officer recruiter that you can trust on Monday.

Like I was told one time "Camping" in Maine: "Don't Sign Anything"

R/

Lt Mitchell

melissanavy07

HELL's NO.

He is lying to you and I want his name and phone number, please.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN DEP TO APPLY FOR THE BDCP PROGRAM!!

In fact, they are required to forward your information to the Officer Programs Department.

Man this hacks me off. I apologize for the trouble this recruiter caused. Good thing you came to AW to get the straight scoop.

Yes, you can and should apply to BDCP as a civilian. I will provide the information on an Officer recruiter that you can trust on Monday.

R/

Lt Mitchell

That is what I thought, because an officer from the Navy was at my campus. He mentioned all you have to do is apply, and turn in Letters of Recommendation and Transcripts. The Navy recruiter is going to come over to my house on Tuesday with information. He told me only those types of opportunities are available after you enlist. How hard is it to get into the Nuclear program? I am a college junior, majoring in Mathematics/Physic with a 3.2 GPA. Scored pretty well on the ACT, around 32.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

HA HA HA!!!:D Won't be too long...

On the original question....what they said. Those guys are ruthless...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
That is what I thought, because an officer from the Navy was at my campus. He mentioned all you have to do is apply, and turn in Letters of Recommendation and Transcripts. The Navy recruiter is going to come over to my house on Tuesday with information. He told me only those types of opportunities are available after you enlist. How hard is it to get into the Nuclear program? I am a college junior, majoring in Mathematics/Physic with a 3.2 GPA. Scored pretty well on the ACT, around 32.

The Nuke program is always looking for applicants. Don't sign anything and get RockyMtnNFO the name and number of that recruiter ASAP. You never know how many other people may have been told the same thing. Kudos to you for majoring in Physics. I hate physics and I am currently not doing too hot in it! :(

Lonestar155

is good to go
YEAH MAN SERIOUSLY! Do not waste any minute of your time talking to an enlisted guy! They did the same thing to me on here, luckily some really nice folks on airwarriors sent me a master chart with all the OFFICER recruiters. A few hours later I had a meeting with a real Captain in the Marine Corps. Thanks again AW!

laurahare

I'm interested in applying to the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program, so I contacted a Navy recruiter. He said that I need to sign paperwork and take the physical then be in DEP, before I can apply to the program. Is this true? I don't want to enlist and then not be able to apply for the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program. Is it possible to just apply as a civilian. I'm a junior in college, so I don't want to be forced to go to bootcamp, if for some reason I'm not accepted into the program. My school doesn't offer NROTC, so I thought this was a good option. Thanks

Maybe he meant once you are accepted if you dont make it through OCS or do not graduate you will have to go to enlisted bootcamp, which would happen with BDCP....but otherwise it is a great program.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

Ok, look, at the very least, I gotta ask.

I go to school at Colby in central Maine, and for orientation we all went on outdoor trips. Mine was backpacking a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. Now, at one point, between Route 4 and Route 27, the AT comes right up next to a "Restricted Access Military Facility," and it is denoted by large orange boudary markers on the trees.

Was I looking at "Camp" SERE?

If so, then between hard-hatted SWO's and dry-docked FFGs I saw at Bath Iron Works, and forcing my family to stop the car at NAS Brunswick so I could watch P-3s do touch and goes right over my head (the runway begins just past the highway fence), I may have hit the biggest Maine military attractions in just my first week here! ;)

melissanavy07

What is the process of applying to the Nuclear Program, do I have to take a physical and mental test at MEPS? Is it basically the same process as enlisting?

laurahare

What is the process of applying to the Nuclear Program, do I have to take a physical and mental test at MEPS? Is it basically the same process as enlisting?

I believe it is the same as OCS, take ASTB and apply with transcripts. And then once accepted do physical at meps.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Applying for the NUPOC program is virtually the same thing.

1) You don't have to take the ASTB for NUPOC, you just fill out the application.

2) You will go on a VIP trip to San Diego or Bremerton to see a Training facility and tour subs and ships. If you are a female then you are only eligible for Surface Nuke.

3) If, after the VIP you want to do this and you get invited, you go to the interview in Walshington D.C. where you have two technical briefs with current engineers and then with the Admiral providing you passed the tech briefs. If you see the Admiral, they pretty much want you so jsut throw up on him and you will get in.

Somewhere in there you go to MEPS and run the PRT but that's it roughly. Your recruiter will be able to give you all the details.

With a 3.2 in Physics, I would say your chances are pretty good, but remember, you are only eligible for Surface and it is very tight for Surface spots this year. Applying is the only way to find out.

nicknight

The BDCP application does require signing papers but the papers are all to show you're not lying your ass off so when they go check to see if your info is true and it isn't you can't worm your way out of it however, the only things that require such signatures are the Privacy forms for your EPSQ and some signatures on your Commissioning application/ KIT also you do have to have a physical for your MEPS but not DEP... just read/re read/ re read EVERYTHING you sign