• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP for online degree programs?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Maybe this is something you would have to ask a recruiter about. However, to get accepted into BDCP, you have to turn in an academic completion plan that states the classes you will be taking each semester up to graduation and you sign it saying you will not differ from your plan. I am not sure how this would work if you are going to transfer and such. You can probably transfer but you would have to turn in a new plan and get it approved before doing so.

Hope that helped a bit, you are in a unique situation.

Oh and regarding your online classes, if you are a full-time student I don't see why you would not be able to be in BDCP, just make sure you meet all the requirements. Sorry, I didn't read your question right the first time.

I've filled out the same thing with the classes and such and yea for the next semester you need to be spot and for the others you need to try and tell them what you will take but I know at my school you often don't know what is available so don't sweat that part too much.

phrogpilot73

I've got to disagree with bogey on this one, but not because I don't understand what he's getting at. When it comes time to select a major - select something that interests you, and that you would enjoy. Everything else will fall into place, in that you will work harder at understanding the math because you enjoy the major.

Case in point: When I went to the Majors briefs, every single brief included something along the lines of "if you don't have at least a B in X Class, you should consider a different major." Problem was, I had D's in everything. I still selected Computer Science because I knew I would enjoy it - even if my Company Officer tried to talk me into PolySci. What happened? I graduated with a degree in Computer Science, and didn't get less than a 3.0 in my major.

Another example: One of my classmates struggled with math the entire time, but wanted to major in Aero because it interested him. While his math grades sucked, and he had to work doubley hard in his major classes to understand how the math was applied - he graduated with a degree in Aero.

If you're choosing the engineering major because you think it will help you elsewhere in life, you will fail miserably. If you're doing it becaue you are generally interested in it, and think it will be fun - then you'll probably succeed. It may require a metric ass ton of work on your part though.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've got to disagree with bogey on this one, but not because I don't understand what he's getting at. When it comes time to select a major - select something that interests you, and that you would enjoy. Everything else will fall into place, in that you will work harder at understanding the math because you enjoy the major.

Case in point: When I went to the Majors briefs, every single brief included something along the lines of "if you don't have at least a B in X Class, you should consider a different major." Problem was, I had D's in everything. I still selected Computer Science because I knew I would enjoy it - even if my Company Officer tried to talk me into PolySci. What happened? I graduated with a degree in Computer Science, and didn't get less than a 3.0 in my major.

Another example: One of my classmates struggled with math the entire time, but wanted to major in Aero because it interested him. While his math grades sucked, and he had to work doubley hard in his major classes to understand how the math was applied - he graduated with a degree in Aero.

If you're choosing the engineering major because you think it will help you elsewhere in life, you will fail miserably. If you're doing it becaue you are generally interested in it, and think it will be fun - then you'll probably succeed. It may require a metric ass ton of work on your part though.

I agree with it. My main point was that she should really understand WHAT is involved in engineering. It isn't gumdrops and rainbows. I have interests/hobbies that while I enjoy them, if I actually studied them professionally and got into the nitty-gritty, I wouldn't enjoy it anymore...

BackOrdered

Contributor
I agree with it. My main point was that she should really understand WHAT is involved in engineering. It isn't gumdrops and rainbows. I have interests/hobbies that while I enjoy them, if I actually studied them professionally and got into the nitty-gritty, I wouldn't enjoy it anymore...

Kinda like Computer Programming. Making games and application yourself is fun, but the high level concepts and debugging suck the fun right out of the major at times and makes you feel like you would hate life doing it for a living. Long story short, I'm graduating next week and I'm going into Supply. I guess what I'm getting at is (and for the record engineering scares the hell out of me math wise) could the same be said about any major or is engineering as a major just the suck?

I'm probably going to make you repeat yourself, but I'm curious as to whether engineering is the bear everyone makes it out to be.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Kinda like Computer Programming. Making games and application yourself is fun, but the high level concepts and debugging suck the fun right out of the major at times and makes you feel like you would hate life doing it for a living. Long story short, I'm graduating next week and I'm going into Supply. I guess what I'm getting at is (and for the record engineering scares the hell out of me math wise) could the same be said about any major or is engineering as a major just the suck?

I'm probably going to make you repeat yourself, but I'm curious as to whether engineering is the bear everyone makes it out to be.

I guess it's like anything else difficult in life (flight school maybe?). Most people entering college for engineering are on a level playing field (assuming you all got accepted to a decent engineering school). Somewhere along the way, you'll either "get it" and start thinking like an engineer or you'll go through the motions and be lost, and eventually fail/quit.

I didn't do particularly fantastic in Highschool (was like a 3.3 WEIGHTED GPA with a bunch of APs that I took), yet I graduated in 3 years with a 3.45 in AE. My buddy who was a 4.0 in HS is now going to take 6 years to graduate and is barely pulling a 3.0 in AE....go figure.

If you are interested in engineering and know what you're up against, then by all means go for it.

But if you think it's just going to be like using a program to design bridges for you to build out of wood, it ISN'T. (that's like an intro freshman class type thing...after that the suck is ON)

It is usually more like spending days onworking engineering math problems by hand to set them up for a numerical solution, weeks on PROGRAMMING a matlab function or program to generate a solution for the problems you set up by hand, days/weeks error-checking your solution and then weeks graphically displaying your results and putting together an hour presentation on your findings to present to a panel of instructors and a hundred or so students who attend...

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
It wasn't the MATH classes that were hard to me. Those were supposed to be basic. It was the ENGINEERING classes which applied that math to real-world problems which were tough.
Sounds like you're the one who should've given up on engineering.

A lot of people have a tough time in math - that's because math is taught by math professors who conceptualize math in some magical floating number fantasy land. The light always came on for me the next semester, when I was taught the physics application of all that crap - you know, the ENGINEERING part.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Sounds like you're the one who should've given up on engineering.

A lot of people have a tough time in math - that's because math is taught by math professors who conceptualize math in some magical floating number fantasy land. The light always came on for me the next semester, when I was taught the physics application of all that crap - you know, the ENGINEERING part.

No, the engineering was challenging, not kicking my ass. The math always put me to sleep and I did well. The engineering forced me to think and be creative. When there are 3 ways to solve a problem, and it's up to you to determine how you approach the problem and WHY, then it becomes interesting (You'll notice, I never had a PROBLEM solving the problems the multiple ways, but deciding how to go about the problem).

Whatever. It worked out pretty well in the end for me, no?

(and for the record, I did give up on engineering.... I'm not an ENGINEER here in Corpus, in case you were wondering):icon_wink

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
I'm in the same boat

Hey, I hope this helps get this thread back on track. I'm going through the same thing. I'm applying for BDCP SNA and I have about 50 credit hours of IN-CLASS time at Embry-Riddle. I didn't go to the main campus, but went to a extended campus while I was active duty Army. I am now far from a military base and am taking online courses through ERAU. My officer recruiter has told me that as long as I take the courses that are on my degree plan, and I have taken actual classes from the school, that switching to online courses won't be a bid deal. Make sure to check with another officer recruiter as all of them have different opinions about this. I hope this helps clarify the subject a little.

markkyle66

Hi all, I finally got an answer from my recruiter so maybe this will help some others in the same situation.

As it turns out I'm not eligible for BDCP while enrolled in UF's online business degree. However, I am eligible to apply for OCS after I graduate from the online program with no problems. The Navy will only pay students enrolled in a traditional classroom setting.

My immediate plans are to carry on with the summer classes since that keeps me enrolled in UF (which was my main goal, alot of great students got cut this year and its looking pretty hard for future admissions) and make my case to the Business program to be switched to "on campus status" for this comming fall which will be my Jr. year. I'll keep you all informed and thanks for the great help!

Mark

markkyle66

Yes you can from what I understand they let me apply.

I read that sentence I underlined in my last post in a reply from my recruiter, so I assumed the policy regarding online degrees is fairly black and white. Do you think I should get a second opinnion from another recruiter? I have second thoughts doing that because mine has been very knowledgible and helpful in helping my brother get a commission.

Jakey can you PM me or post the specifics of your degree? Was it purely online or a hybrid type degree?

Thank you very much!