• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP for Masters?

nugget61

pilot
So I know this sounds really counterintuitive (Bachelors Degree being in the name and all) but I was wondering if you can get in BDCP for a masters. Now, before you flame, let me explain my situation; my major is an accredited 5 year masters in EE - the state even says that if you get a state scholarship it will be for 4 years, unless you are in this program, in which they will pay out for 5 years. So I'm wondering if I can get into BDCP and have them take me once I finish the masters (fwiw, the school doesn't even give out the bachelors, its only a masters as we can't have both degrees accredited right now).
I did ask my OR, but he went on vacation before he got back to me and is gone for the next 3 weeks. Any ideas?
Thanks all.

schwarti

Contributor
Yes, you can. I've heard that competition is very tight, though. I was going to apply, but my recruiter and I decided that I realistically didn't have a shot, but I did have a good shot at regular OCS.

nugget61

pilot
Yes, you can. I've heard that competition is very tight, though. I was going to apply, but my recruiter and I decided that I realistically didn't have a shot, but I did have a good shot at regular OCS.

I think I may have been misleading - can I do this if I'm applying SNA? (Not NUPOC if thats what you were thinking)

Jackal8

. So I'm wondering if I can get into BDCP and have them take me once I finish the masters (fwiw, the school doesn't even give out the bachelors, its only a masters as we can't have both degrees accredited right now).
I did ask my OR, but he went on vacation before he got back to me and is gone for the next 3 weeks. Any ideas?
Thanks all.

I tried to do the BDCP program for graduate school, but, unfortunately, was not allowed to apply and just went through OCS after graduate school. My recruiter was under the initial impression that it would not be a problem to do BDCP and grad school, but it ended up getting denied since I was already qualified, as far as degrees were concerned, to become a Naval Officer. Your situation might be a bit different since you have to get a graduate degree to become qualified so I would try to work that angle with your recruiter. If that is unsuccessful and you still have your senior year left then I would get the ball rolling so that you can at least get a year of BDCP benefits.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Since the program is called the "BACCALAUREATE degree completion program", I'm going to say.... no.

schwarti

Contributor
As far as I'm aware, it's good for all designators. (I was applying SWO, IW and Supply.) Otto, I thought the same thing until my recruiter straightened me out. It's just VERY hard to get in, and they don't really promote it to grad students because it is supposed to be for undergrads. Very few grad students even know to apply. Given that the OP is not going to actually get a bachelor's degree, I would imagine the boards would take notice and consider accordingly.

Autoace

There is a program called the HSCP (Health Services Collegiate Program) that you can use to obtain your masters..........if it is healthcare related. Unfortunately yours is in EE. Other than that I have not come across any masters programs other than that.

nugget61

pilot
Thanks guys - when my recruiter gets back I'm going to have him get on this, so I'll post a follow up after I see him.

nugget61

pilot
As a follow up, schwarti is still correct - BDCP for a masters is still alive, but it is more than competitive to get in. And I do know that you can get in on a SNA contract.
The program is so obscure though, my recruiter had never heard of it, and if it weren't for y'all he probably never would have. Thanks!

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in the middle of applying for OCS and I just got accepted to grad school (master's in international affairs with an emphasis on terrorism studies and global security policy). The Navy is my top priority and I'll give up grad school if I have to, but if I can do both that would be awesome. Especially since I want to go Intel and this degree would probably make me much better at my job haha. I called my recruiter and he said he's going to make some calls and find out if I can do the BDCP. I'm so glad I searched AW, because he hadn't heard of that option either. I guess it is really obscure. Has anyone else other than nugget (a belated congrats, btw) had success with this route?

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in the middle of applying for OCS and I just got accepted to grad school (master's in international affairs with an emphasis on terrorism studies and global security policy). The Navy is my top priority and I'll give up grad school if I have to, but if I can do both that would be awesome. Especially since I want to go Intel and this degree would probably make me much better at my job haha. I called my recruiter and he said he's going to make some calls and find out if I can do the BDCP. I'm so glad I searched AW, because he hadn't heard of that option either. I guess it is really obscure. Has anyone else other than nugget (a belated congrats, btw) had success with this route?

Now don't look at a commssion as "Oh noes I can't get a masters!' You can have both. You have several options and ample oppurtunty to get a masters during your service.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Now don't look at a commssion as "Oh noes I can't get a masters!' You can have both. You have several options and ample oppurtunty to get a masters during your service.

Thanks for the reply :) I'm actually not too worried about waiting until after I commission to get a master's, that was my original plan anyway. I guess what I should have said was "I'll give up grad school for now." I just figured since I already got into a master's program, it would be nice to get it out of the way earlier if that's a possibility.