• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Eyesight

FunWithGuns

I have read the recent thread about this subject but am still a little unclear.

College freshman with technical major applies after freshman/during sophomore year for BDCP SNA. But it is to my understanding that if you dont have 20/40 vision or better you would have to have PRK and wait the 3 or 6 months post op(3 in my case) THEN send in the application. Correct?

Do you have to have a flight physical before you get PRK from a civilian doc? Or can you get PRK then later start the BDCP process during the 3 months of post op wait.

I have also read that you can pick up a SNFO slot then later reapply and pick up SNA, Is this gouge correct?

Thank you for any advice.

grant_davis

From what I have read you have to get the medical physical before final select ( usually after pro rec). If you apply for the BDCP, get selected, go to MEPS and fail the medical because of you eyes you have to reapply. I have talked to a few people that had there spots sort of "held" while there eyes healed but they seemed to be in the minority. No flight physical necessary before the PRK BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO ALL OF YOUR PAPER WORK CORRECTLY. They are extremely strict about the follow up work and it all must be sent to MEPS (I am no expert this is all just information I have read talk to your OR before you do anything)

As far as switching from SNFO to SNA why do that? If you want SNA apply SNA do not let your recruiter talk you into applying for a position you do not want with the hope of switching some day. Study hard, get your paperwork done and you should have no trouble getting selected for SNA (Haha I should talk I am a non select)..

Take that gouge for what it is worth. I am not in the Navy. All of this info is just stuff I have read on this site. If anyone sees anything that is incorrect pleas fix it.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Prkbdcp

I have read the recent thread about this subject but am still a little unclear.

College freshman with technical major applies after freshman/during sophomore year for BDCP SNA. But it is to my understanding that if you dont have 20/40 vision or better you would have to have PRK and wait the 3 or 6 months post op(3 in my case) THEN send in the application. Correct?

Do you have to have a flight physical before you get PRK from a civilian doc? Or can you get PRK then later start the BDCP process during the 3 months of post op wait.

I have also read that you can pick up a SNFO slot then later reapply and pick up SNA, Is this gouge correct?

Thank you for any advice.

1. Yes, you will have to wait 3 months after release from the doctor's care to re/submit your package. This may total 4 or more months post-surgery.

2. I don't believe you need a flight physical pre-surgery. However, make sure you have the civilian doctor document everything he does and all your pre-op vision parameters. You can start the application process during the 3 month wait. However, I doubt you'll be able to do the MEPS physical during that period (which includes some eyesight tests). Other paperwork could be taken care of, however.

3. I wish. No, I don't believe it's possible to reapply SNA after signing a contract for SNFO. It may be possible to redesignate SNA post-commissioning, but my understanding is this is a rare occurrence.

nugget61

pilot
Just to reiterate; you can apply for BDCP after you have 30 credit hours in a technical major IIRC. You can get PRK anytime before you apply (or in my dumbass case, after). Its a heluva lot easier if you take care of any problems before you're selected.
Don't worry too much about the pre-op measurements - the civ docs have to take a ton of measurements before the operate on you, and they should have to get everything the navy wants and more. But still take the paperwork in with you to the pre-op to make sure that the docs do indeed get everything the navy wants.
Good luck to ya.

Lobster

If you want SNA apply for SNA, I knew that I didn't want anything but that so I took SNFO off my application and my recruiter agreed with that decision, again I think its possible to redesignate after you commision but its rare and its tough to do, go after what you want.