• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Contract ????

joeyg911

I was reading through the message boards, and I noticed a couple of things. I've read that if you are in the BDCP you either get comm. or go enlisted as an E-3 und.

WHat is that all about? Anyone have any more information about this?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yup, that's the size of it. I rationalized it this way. In the ROTC scholarship program, you either get a commission or suffer a similar fate. To me, it's just one more risk away from becoming an officer. Besides, BDCP is a much better gig than being in ROTC work load wise. Harsh consequences for failure is the price you pay.

BackOrdered

Contributor
how do you go to the fleet as an E-3 undesg.? Fail out of OCS boot camp?

Please tell....

You don't fail OCS, you roll into another class. By that I mean rolling is the most common punishment. Failing is extreme. At that point, actual failing is a test of your will to pass after having been told you must start over. I can imagine that failing the in-PRT constitutes failing OCS and getting thrown into the fleet among other things.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I'm sure the navy will find ways for you to work off your BDCP pay as an undesg. E-3.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Understand that you have received a great thing. I'm sure by now, you've been told that there comes a time in life when you have one chance to make a difference that will affect the rest of your life. This is that time. Many people work their entire lives and don't get what you have received. For some, it’s a dream that’s deferred, just becomes an unrealistic pipe dream, or worst (in my experience), chasing a shadow. But I bet if some of them could go back and do one thing different to put themselves in your situation, they would. As Dr. Phil has said many times, this life isn’t a dress rehearsal.

To quote Zilch:

“I think about it this way: I'm following my dreams, and the risk of not doing so is far greater than any physical danger or mental stress I could encounter in the military. Can you live with yourself knowing you could have lived the dream and chose not to? I couldn't.”

Still, your life isn’t mine to decide at all. It’s up to you.

IRfly

None
You don't fail OCS, you roll into another class. By that I mean rolling is the most common punishment. Failing is extreme. At that point, actual failing is a test of your will to pass after having been told you must start over. I can imagine that failing the in-PRT constitutes failing OCS and getting thrown into the fleet among other things.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I'm sure the navy will find ways for you to work off your BDCP pay as an undesg. E-3.

You can imagine a lot of things. Failing the in-PRT just means rolling until you pass.

To the original poster--decide whether you want to be a Naval officer before you put in a BDCP application. If you can't decide now, then wait until you graduate and put in an application to OCS. The deal is this--if you want to get commissioned through OCS, you will. If you're not sure if you want to, but want to give OCS a shot, then don't go BDCP. If you come in off the street and quit, then you go home; no harm, no foul. If you want to take the Navy's money (and BDCP is a significant chunk of change), then you've got to expect that you'll have some kind of committment. But don't think that they'll take the commission away from you unless you're a complete dirtbag. If you go to OCS, do what you're told, and keep a decent attitude, you'll get through. The ones who fail do so because of flagrant and repeated violations of simple rules.

A word on rolling at OCS. It is by no means a punishment. Most people in H-class are there for medical reasons or for not passing the PFT. People in H-class have a bum deal in that they're not progressing in their training, but no one goes out of their way to hassle them. In fact, the current MGySgt at OCS is as fair a man as you'll ever meet and treats the H-classers with complete dignity (i.e. say anything to them except encouragement and he'll skin you alive). So don't let that be your fear. Rolling can be a challenge and setback, but you'll have those your whole life, no matter what you do.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You can imagine a lot of things. Failing the in-PRT just means rolling until you pass.

Even better then. But like I said, out and out failing OCS seems extreme. I can't find any cases of failing OCS other than obvious offenses that asks for you to get thrown out.

DW43

So then what makes people not get the commission and have to go enlisted? Is it dropping out of college, not finishing school on time, or breaking rules?

joeyg911

To the original poster--decide whether you want to be a Naval officer before you put in a BDCP application. If you can't decide now, then wait until you graduate and put in an application to OCS. The deal is this--if you want to get commissioned through OCS, you will. If you're not sure if you want to, but want to give OCS a shot, then don't go BDCP. If you come in off the street and quit, then you go home; no harm, no foul. If you want to take the Navy's money (and BDCP is a significant chunk of change), then you've got to expect that you'll have some kind of committment. But don't think that they'll take the commission away from you unless you're a complete dirtbag. If you go to OCS, do what you're told, and keep a decent attitude, you'll get through. The ones who fail do so because of flagrant and repeated violations of simple rules.

A word on rolling at OCS. It is by no means a punishment. Most people in H-class are there for medical reasons or for not passing the PFT. People in H-class have a bum deal in that they're not progressing in their training, but no one goes out of their way to hassle them. In fact, the current MGySgt at OCS is as fair a man as you'll ever meet and treats the H-classers with complete dignity (i.e. say anything to them except encouragement and he'll skin you alive). So don't let that be your fear. Rolling can be a challenge and setback, but you'll have those your whole life, no matter what you do.

I just wanted to know about the des. side of the house.
Believe me, I have worked long and hard and I do know I want to serve my country as an Officer. I have proudly served my country for 6 years as an enlisted.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You are still in the FIN DOC process right? Make sure you read the contract carefully before you sign it. It says specifically that if you don't fullfill the listed conditions you will have to enlist as an E-3 (since you are prior enlisted, it may be different). That's a paraphrase but if I were to reread the copy I got, that's what I'd gather. What else is there?

IRfly

None
I just wanted to know about the des. side of the house.
Believe me, I have worked long and hard and I do know I want to serve my country as an Officer. I have proudly served my country for 6 years as an enlisted.

Good on you, then.

If for any reason other than medical you don't complete the program, then they can send you to Great Lakes. I don't know why that usually happens with people before OCS--maybe a recruiter could answer that question better. As far as at OCS, there are very few BDCP DORs, and even fewer attrites. As I said before, you have to be an uber-bonehead to get attrited from OCS.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So then what makes people not get the commission and have to go enlisted? Is it dropping out of college, not finishing school on time, or breaking rules?

Honestly, sending you to great lakes is mainly there to prevent people from DORing at OCS. Plain and simple, if you take the money, you're going to finish the program...there's no way the Navy is going to let you take a year or two of money, get to OCS, and say, "Nah, I don't really want to do this."

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
the point is, that as long as you go in with the right intentions, you have nothing to worry about. If you are a complete d0uchebag and went in for the wrong reasons (ie- money) which I have heard of, you will get kicked out of OCS and go enlisted. As long as you WANT to graduate OCS, you will. I have heard this from a number of people who made it through OCS so that's what I believe.

surferb

BDCP is a strange beast since you're technically serving active duty. A scholarship has the ultimate option of being recooped if you fail to hold up your end of the bargain. It is illegal for the Navy to recover money paid as basic pay...so their contract has you enlisting if you never make it to OCS. I've seen several cases where the Navy offered to let struggling students go without penalty. From what I've seen, guys that can't make it through OCS don't get sent to Great Lakes, although they probably could.

Bottom line is if you work hard and want it, they'll get you through. I wouldn't worry too much. As previously stated in this post it gives them options in dealing with total dirtbags. The program is very generous, and is a great opportunity for those who take it seriously.

I was reading through the message boards, and I noticed a couple of things. I've read that if you are in the BDCP you either get comm. or go enlisted as an E-3 und.

WHat is that all about? Anyone have any more information about this?