• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP as prior enlisted

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
I've got some questions that pertain to myself being a prior enlisted petty officer 2nd class who's applying for SNA through BDCP, that could help others in my same shoes currently, or in the future. And yes, I've asked my recruiter and he wasn't entirely sure either as the program primarily tailors towards civilians with no military experience. There's also little information on this current iteration of BDCP outside of what is written in the instruction so here it goes.

1.) I got out at 5 years of service, so assuming I use the full 24 months allotted would I be going to OCS with 7 years of service?

2.) The instruction says applicants will be paid as 3rd classes, but since I got out as a 2nd class, am I able to start in BDCP as my previous rank? (I figure it cant hurt to ask, but don't want to be too greedy)

3.) Regardless of if they make me a E-4 or E-5 will I be paid as a E-4/5 over 4?

4.) I in no means intend to fail, but if say hypothetically I dropped from the program would I return to the fleet undesignated or would I be given the ability to choose a rate (possibly my old one) and return in that manner?

I'm aware that these are very situational questions that no one might have the answer to, but I seem to be in a unique situation and I can't find much information anywhere on this. Thanks for any and all help!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've got some questions that pertain to myself being a prior enlisted petty officer 2nd class who's applying for SNA through BDCP, that could help others in my same shoes currently, or in the future. And yes, I've asked my recruiter and he wasn't entirely sure either as the program primarily tailors towards civilians with no military experience. There's also little information on this current iteration of BDCP outside of what is written in the instruction so here it goes.

1.) I got out at 5 years of service, so assuming I use the full 24 months allotted would I be going to OCS with 7 years of service?

2.) The instruction says applicants will be paid as 3rd classes, but since I got out as a 2nd class, am I able to start in BDCP as my previous rank? (I figure it cant hurt to ask, but don't want to be too greedy)

3.) Regardless of if they make me a E-4 or E-5 will I be paid as a E-4/5 over 4?

4.) I in no means intend to fail, but if say hypothetically I dropped from the program would I return to the fleet undesignated or would I be given the ability to choose a rate (possibly my old one) and return in that manner?

I'm aware that these are very situational questions that no one might have the answer to, but I seem to be in a unique situation and I can't find much information anywhere on this. Thanks for any and all help!

From the PA:

"8. Funding
a. BDCP candidates will receive full pay and allowances (except clothing) at the rate of
Officer Candidate Petty Officer Third Class (OCPO3) (E-4),
but must pay for tuition, books and
other school related expenses.
b. Members are eligible for meritorious advancement by two means:
(1) Members who make the dean’s list during two consecutive semesters or three
consecutive quarters. Candidates are eligible for a one time advancement to next higher
paygrade (maximum E-6) effective on the first day of the month following completion of 30
semester hours or 45 quarter hours.
(2) Any BDCP candidate who provides a referral which results in an accession to an
officer commissioning program (candidate or direct commission) will be eligible for a one time
advancement to the next higher paygrade (maximum E-6).
(3) Both opportunities will allow for a maximum of two meritorious advancements while
in the program: one for academic achievements while in the program and one for a referral
leading to an accession.
c. Upon completion of baccalaureate degree requirements, candidates will be advanced to
Officer Candidate Second Class Petty Officer (OCPO2) (E-5), if not previously advanced and
will continue to receive pay at that pay grade while awaiting enrollment in the next available
OCS or ODS class."

Being that it doesn't mention prior service, you can expect to be an E-4.

Concerning entitlements, you should be receiving E-4 pay with X years of prior service you had.

Similarly, when you commission OCS you will be an O-1E with X years, presuming you meet O-1E criteria.

Finally, there's no mention of having to enlist if you drop the program. However, I recommend doing well in courses to prevent that...

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
From the PA:

"8. Funding
a. BDCP candidates will receive full pay and allowances (except clothing) at the rate of
Officer Candidate Petty Officer Third Class (OCPO3) (E-4),
but must pay for tuition, books and
other school related expenses.
b. Members are eligible for meritorious advancement by two means:
(1) Members who make the dean’s list during two consecutive semesters or three
consecutive quarters. Candidates are eligible for a one time advancement to next higher
paygrade (maximum E-6) effective on the first day of the month following completion of 30
semester hours or 45 quarter hours.
(2) Any BDCP candidate who provides a referral which results in an accession to an
officer commissioning program (candidate or direct commission) will be eligible for a one time
advancement to the next higher paygrade (maximum E-6).
(3) Both opportunities will allow for a maximum of two meritorious advancements while
in the program: one for academic achievements while in the program and one for a referral
leading to an accession.
c. Upon completion of baccalaureate degree requirements, candidates will be advanced to
Officer Candidate Second Class Petty Officer (OCPO2) (E-5), if not previously advanced and
will continue to receive pay at that pay grade while awaiting enrollment in the next available
OCS or ODS class."

Being that it doesn't mention prior service, you can expect to be an E-4.

Concerning entitlements, you should be receiving E-4 pay with X years of prior service you had.

Similarly, when you commission OCS you will be an O-1E with X years, presuming you meet O-1E criteria.

Finally, there's no mention of having to enlist if you drop the program. However, I recommend doing well in courses to prevent that...
Thanks!