• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP and health insurance

Boomer91

I am on BDCP and have tricare prime remote. I have had to use it a decent amount for some surgery I had on my legs, so I am pretty familiar. If there is no MTF within an hour (or 100 miles?) of your location, you will be eligible for tricare prime remote. You will need to fill out the application and send it in, making sure that the zip code you put for your duty station is where you actually live, not where your OR is (a mistake I made). They will cross check your zip code to match it with the one in DEERS and give you tricare prime remote. You should be able to pick what ever health care facility/physician you want as long as they take tricare.

As far as your wife goes, you should be able to get the same type of insurance for dependants based on their zip code, but I haven't had to deal with that part of it. Hope this helps.

blarged

ready
I am on BDCP and have tricare prime remote. I have had to use it a decent amount for some surgery I had on my legs, so I am pretty familiar. If there is no MTF within an hour (or 100 miles?) of your location, you will be eligible for tricare prime remote. You will need to fill out the application and send it in, making sure that the zip code you put for your duty station is where you actually live, not where your OR is (a mistake I made). They will cross check your zip code to match it with the one in DEERS and give you tricare prime remote. You should be able to pick what ever health care facility/physician you want as long as they take tricare.

As far as your wife goes, you should be able to get the same type of insurance for dependants based on their zip code, but I haven't had to deal with that part of it. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it didn't seem as though I was eligible for remote. A big AF base is located about 40 miles away (which happens to be the only MTF in Ohio). I'm just not a big fan of making her drive 40 miles if she's really sick just to see a doctor. I'll see what Tricare says on the phone though.

Bergers2short

None
Hey guys,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'd appreciate some help. I need to submit proof of insurance to my college by August 1st and my parents are itching to take me off their insurance (high co-pays). I've had issues getting into MyPay, so I'm waiting the 2 day period after faxing in a new/reset PIN request. That's affecting my ability to sign up from the Beneficiary Web Enrollment page. My question is this:

There's a Tricare Service Center about 5 minutes from where I work, but I read above that it takes about a month to get your card/paperwork in the mail. Would it be quicker for me to enroll online in a couple of days, or will it still take about a month? Just trying to get that "proof of insurance" ASAP...Thanks!

blarged

ready
Hey guys,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'd appreciate some help. I need to submit proof of insurance to my college by August 1st and my parents are itching to take me off their insurance (high co-pays). I've had issues getting into MyPay, so I'm waiting the 2 day period after faxing in a new/reset PIN request. That's affecting my ability to sign up from the Beneficiary Web Enrollment page. My question is this:

There's a Tricare Service Center about 5 minutes from where I work, but I read above that it takes about a month to get your card/paperwork in the mail. Would it be quicker for me to enroll online in a couple of days, or will it still take about a month? Just trying to get that "proof of insurance" ASAP...Thanks!

The moment you swear in, you are covered, but not by Tricare Prime (Remote possibly) until you send in your enrollment. You are covered by another service which unfortunately I can not remember the name of at the moment. If I were you, I'd either call or go over to the Tricare Service Center and tell them that you recently swore in and need proof of insurance. I would think that you wouldn't be the first person that has come across this and they'd be able to give you the information, or at least point you in the right direction.

I learned this the hard way. I had a dentist appointment the day after I swore in. I didn't realize that my parent's insurance would drop me the day I swore in because of my new coverage and my dentist didn't take Tricare. Needless to say, that was last October and I'm still working on getting that bill paid for by Tricare.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
It's Tricare standard that you're looking for. Only prime requires registration, standard is automatic. Comes direct with DEERS enrollment. Standard comes with copays, but a low deductible, but much more freedom for providers. Make sure you look into whether or not you want to be with the Drs that take prime when you make the decision to switch to it.

That said, your school wont take your ID as proof of insurance? Your SSN is your Tricare ID number, and your military ID serves as an insurance card in most cases (I and my family have never used the actual "insurance cards" we got in the mail for the last 10 years).

My Pay has nothing to do with Tricare. Not sure why you need your mypay pin for it. It goes strictly off DEERS status. If you're in DEERS, you are Tricare eligible.

Bergers2short

None
That said, your school wont take your ID as proof of insurance? Your SSN is your Tricare ID number, and your military ID serves as an insurance card in most cases (I and my family have never used the actual "insurance cards" we got in the mail for the last 10 years).

Glad to know that my SSN is the same as my Tricare ID number. Hopefully that will be enough for my school then.

My Pay has nothing to do with Tricare. Not sure why you need your mypay pin for it. It goes strictly off DEERS status. If you're in DEERS, you are Tricare eligible.

I just need my mypay login information to get into the beneficiary web enrollment page. I knew I was covered, just figured I'd need the papers/ID that get mailed to you to send off to school. Thanks for the info!

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

+1
If you're BDCP, you're active duty and therefore you automatically have full health/dental coverage courtesy of the US taxpayers. Your military ID card should be sufficient proof for your school, but you might want to have your BDCP orders available as well.

Bergers2short

None
FYI for Massachusetts college students with Tricare:

Massachusetts requires that all college students either buy a student health insurance plan (run by Gallagher Koster) or waive that requirement by filling out a form proving another form of insurance. A couple of hours after after I asked around about "proof of insurance" I heard back from a Gallagher Koster rep saying:

"We allow all students with Tricare to waive, in understanding that you have limited information to offer. Please go to our website at www.gallagherkoster.com/[name of college] and there click the button on the left labeled, "Student Waive/Enroll forms". From there, you must create an account with us and login. Once you have successfully logged in, our website will guide you through the final steps in waiving the insurance. When you come across the page asking for specific health insurance information, we ask students to enter the following:
Name of Insurance Company: Military Insurance (You may enter this in most of the fields with a **)
Type: Other
Claims State: First State to pop up
Claims Zip Code: 12345
Policy Holder ID #: Social Security number"