• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP and health insurance

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I know BDCP active, eligible for health insurance, dental and the fun stuff. Just need some details for what it takes to get signed up with tricare. of course my CO is on leave still, again, so NORD not much help for this. Parents taking me off their insurance and want to make sure i stayed cover on the cross over.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
rog, appreciate it. local chief was sayin i had to drive like 2 hrs to local tricare office and mess. do you know if you can inquire for requested dental visits online or is that real paper work?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
rog, appreciate it. local chief was sayin i had to drive like 2 hrs to local tricare office and mess. do you know if you can inquire for requested dental visits online or is that real paper work?
Good question. I've never actually used Tricare. The last time I went to the dentist was on my parents' insurance.

I was told that too, that I had to drive somewhere, which is why I never bothered until my buddy in BDCP told me he did it online.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I just went through all of this 2 months ago, however I didn't do it online. I live in San Diego so I went down to the Naval Medical Center in Balboa Park and visited the Tricare office. They did everything for me, all O really had to do was tell her my personal information (address, phone, etc.) and she filled out the rest. There was roughly a 30 day "processing period" for me inwhich I was enrolled but had not received my paperwork or card and was not able to schedule appointments, but I was still covered for ERs and stuff if I wanted to walk in. I also had to register with the hospital before scheduling an appointment, but that can be done same day as scheduling an appointment.

I haven't used dental, I have an awesome civ dentist that I still go see, but please post some info on the dental side if you get that far.

fighterpfeif

From what I can remember when I went to a civilian dentist on Prime Remote. I contacted the Tricare/Med guy at the NRD and they sent the paper work to the dentist office. But that was awhile ago so it might be bad gouge.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Once you have an ID, you can get medical and dental care. It may take a first-time visit to set up tricare, but this is a really simple process for active duty and not much to do unless you have dependents.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I am scheduled to get my ID next Thursday. Will I be able to log into myPay after I get my ID and set up a pin?

um, its not the ID thats makes all that stuff gtg, i know you have to be set up with "dears" or what ever the acronym is.. I have yet to even mess with mypay, the money just started appearing in my account. good enough for me

TopShot

BDCP SNA
When you get your ID they have to register you in DEERS, once that is done I'm pretty sure they will ask you to enter a pin. I couldn't remember that pin, so when I logged into myPay the first time I used my SS# and the last 5 digits of my social for my pin. Then I was able to reset it.

It is important that you get into myPay so you can double check your Leave/Earnings statements. I was getting shorted $200 a month because they had entered the wrong zip for my BAH.

pmasters

Honestly, I just use my mother's insurance. If you are insured through your parents, here's the deal:

1) Tricare is a pain because you don't live on base
2) It probably doesn't cost your parents a lot, if anything, to insure you
3) Your parent's insurance will probably never find out that you're in Tricare (its been over a year for me and Aetna still hasn't figured that out)
4) Many private insurers are more widely accepted in your local area

I'm still in BDCP, and although I've gotten all the relevant information on Tricare, its so much easier to use my mom's employer-insurance that I will never bother with Tricare until I'm not her dependent anymore.

If you don't have insurance through your parents, this obviously doesn't apply. If you do, I would advise to keep yourself in your parents insurance for convenience's sake.

pmasters

Forgot to add;

Tricare is a pain because not all practitioners take Tricare. Because Tricare is used mostly by people who are active duty, these practitioners tend to be located near areas with large military populations. If you live in a place like Pittsburgh, where I live, its hard to find people who take Tricare.

If you have the option of using a parent's private insurance, it will most likely make your life a lot easier.

Once you commission and you live in/near a base, this will change.

haubby

None
Contributor
Forgot to add;

Tricare is a pain because not all practitioners take Tricare. Because Tricare is used mostly by people who are active duty, these practitioners tend to be located near areas with large military populations. If you live in a place like Pittsburgh, where I live, its hard to find people who take Tricare.

If you have the option of using a parent's private insurance, it will most likely make your life a lot easier.

Once you commission and you live in/near a base, this will change.

Are you on Tricare Remote? The only issue I've encountered is with Dental. But thats a different entity.

blarged

ready
related to previous posts about not being near an MTF

Question 1:
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if there is no MTF that is easily accessible from your location, you could be assigned a different 'main' doctor(s) to go to.

Are you all stating that there is no MTF or civilian substitution nearby? Or are you just saying that there is no MTF?

Question 2:
When I leave for OCS and the year or two after OCS, my wife will remain in Ohio to finish her grad school. Does anyone know how a designated medical station would work for our two different 'permanent' locations?

I was planning on calling Tricare about these questions, but since this thread is underway ...

Thanks