• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP a "really sucky program"

snizo

Supply Officer
It doesn't pay tuition directly but what I do is start a payment contract with the university to cover what my loans and scholarships don't. The money is removed from my account a few days after my BDCP pay comes in. Thus, BDCP pays for my college tuition.

That depends on the state, right?

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I'm glad RockyMtnNFO got involved with this one. That recruiter is just unsat. I know that my recruiter once told me that they were "discouraged" from openly advertising BDCP on college visits and things like that (something to do with the NROTC) but if someone asked about it, then all was good. Maybe your recruiter misunderstood that message (if it's still even aplicable). I will say, though, that BDCP is one of the best things I ever did. What a glorious scam...er...I mean program.

As was stated earlier, getting commisioned straight out of OCS as an O-1 with over 2 years and having 60 days leave on the books was one heck of a deal. It's the gift that just keeps on giving. Right now I'm an O-2 with over 4 (actually over 5 but that doesn't get you anything). That entitles me to $3857.40 base pay. My fellow officers from the 2004 commisioning group (NROTC and USNA) are making 3239.70. Doesn't take a genius to decide which one you'd rather be.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot

I think you're right. Different states do it differently, but I think most will charge you in-state tuition.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned. You also get BAH and BAS while on BDCP. For me going to school in Dallas, that actually just about doubled my pay.

BackOrdered

Contributor

More like the Financial Aid Department. I just walked in and asked if I could pay my owed tuition at a fair enough rate a month and they directed me to this site where my school has an agreement with and I signed up:

http://www.ecsi.net/tpp/student.html

The way it works for me (please verify this with YOUR financial aid office) is they green flag your tuition and let you go back to classes, only you MUST make the payments religiously a month or they pull the contract out from under you, and you back to square one. No credit check that I know of.

Before BDCP, I owed about $3,000 one semester and Financial Aid told me I'd have to pay it off somehow or lose my active student status. This sucked bad for me because if I didn't make the money, I couldn't be an active student, and thus my application which was still in the pipeline would be declined for sure. Under this payment plan, I worked my tail off between two part time jobs while in school full time and paid 20% a month. It sucked wind, but I did it, maintained my active student status, and I was picked up for BDCP that very semester. Now that I'm in BDCP, the payments are a drop in the bucket a month relatively. Hard work real came through for me.

With all the yuppy parents out there paying junior x dollars a month to keep him in school, I don't see why any university wouldn't have such a payment system.

snizo

Supply Officer
^^ I was referring to being able to pay in-state tuition. I'm pretty sure Georgia would tell you to f off if you showed up at the bursar's office and said you deserved in-state tuition because you were in the military.

Most of the state's I've been in (southeast) require one year residency (read = paying state taxes) to get in-state tuition. Being in the military makes it easier to change states of residency, but you don't just automatically get in-state tuition for doing it.

laurahare

^^ I was referring to being able to pay in-state tuition. I'm pretty sure Georgia would tell you to f off if you showed up at the bursar's office and said you deserved in-state tuition because you were in the military.

Most of the state's I've been in (southeast) require one year residency (read = paying state taxes) to get in-state tuition. Being in the military makes it easier to change states of residency, but you don't just automatically get in-state tuition for doing it.

I get in state tuition being a military dependent in GA, and we are still TX residents. I got in state in VA too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's actually a pretty standard benefit that most states extend to military members living in their states, regardless of their actual residency status.

Brett

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

CA is pretty gay about it. You only rate in-state tuition if you're stationed there for "non-education" purposes, i.e. getting your education in off duty hours.

SergioMartinez

I signed my BDCP contract last week and I graduate on May 18! I'm not quite sure how it happened, and even my recruiter was baffled as to how I was picked up for it. (I applied for SNA and BDCP SNA only). At the very least, now I won't have to get a summer job until I leave in August plus active duty status = travel pay for the long drive to Newport.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
plus active duty status = travel pay for the long drive to Newport.

For the record, regular OCS guys are considered active duty from the day they leave home (based on travel days allowed), so no one gets shafted out of the travel claim.

The Navy has plent of other opportunities to bend you over, this just isn't one of them.