• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

battalion runs vs pt runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin_e

can someone please explain the difference between PT runs and Battalion runs? is one individual and the other with your whole class? or is it a difference in length, track vs trail, or what?

Also, I've heard if you can't keep up in battalion runs they can pick you up in the van and later put you in remedial training on the track. Will they not just let you complete it at your own pace?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yes, a battalion run is with the whole battalion, in a HUGE formation (usually platoon running in tandem). They can vary in length, but generally the pace is achingly slow (to counteract the "slinky" effect). I wouldn't worry about not being able to complete it, you'll do a fast walk 1/3 of the way because of the aforementioned slinky. If you drop from the formation, they can pick you up in the chase vehicle, but if your platoon is in the lead, you'll have to fall out of the entire formation before you get to the vehicle. If you find yourself dropping back, you better "suck it up" and put out more, there's NO excuse for falling out!

gin_e

by achingly slow, do you mean the 8min mile pace that has been mentioned? hopefully that will be achingly slow for me by then. what about morning PT runs? are those individual or in formation with your platoon/class?

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
gin_e, you seem to have a lot of questions about OCS. Feel free to ask me any questions about it on AIM, MSN messenger, or Yahoo.

Dave Shutter

I'm not sure how they're doing it now but there was no PT on Thurs, or Sun. Mon, and Fri, were formation runs, usually around three miles and Sat, was the Battalion run out to the lighthouse and back, around 5 miles. The pace is slow but it's long. The shorter runs went a lot faster. I remember the hardest run I ever had was a real fast pace (mind you I was no great runner) but we did the 3 mile variety, lost a ton of people, and our DI actually gave us a Hoo-rah when we were done after checking his watch. Even he was a little out of breath. On Tues. you may have individual timed runs, usually 2-3 miles and on Wed. is the mock-PFA. You're scores don't count but believe me they are looked at, posted too. If you do fail (less than 10:30 run) you will get immediate special attention at the finish line. If your run times aren't great the individual runs are your best chance to improve because the formation run's don't help as much I think. You have to really push yourself to get your times down. As for falling out, never good. If you fall behind but catch up before the run ends, or fall to the back of the group it's usually no big deal, as long as you put out the effort to finish. If you quit and jump in the van, DI's will be waiting for you when it stops. It gets ugly from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.