• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Barrel Opinions

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Looking for a little input. I have been shooting a White Oaks Precision built AR for a while and have some great hand loads worked up. Recently I got a regular old M4 put together during the great obama scare of 08. It came with a 1:9 twist chrome lined barrel and it is alright. Obviously it isn't bench precision like my national match setup. However, I have been looking around at a few 1:7 twist carbine barrels. Just trying to get some better accuracy, as a relative term, as I have some really good hand loads worked up for my factory (NATO) chamber, got that guy down to a solid 3 MOA, sometimes sub, shooting the 72 gr. Out to any kind of a distance this obviously falls apart. So wanting to build something that will compliment some good handloads, it doesn't need to endure a crazy amount of rapid fire, and I want it to clock in at a reliable 3 MOA out to 800 yards. So far I have looked at

Daniel Defense Hammer forged 14.5"
Yankee hill Machine 16"

They are worlds apart in price. Anyone got any ideas or some direction with choosing a better barrel? Maybe my expectations are a little unreasonable for the type of build I want. Shot a couple CLE built M4 setups that could do this accuracy wise but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a chrome lined barrel and his build cost lots of dough.

The WO match rifle, weighing a little over 13lbs right now
P4290132.JPG

cheap old M4 I cobbled together
P4290131.JPG

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
800 yards is asking a lot from the 5.56 family of projectiles, IMO. Using 62gr and larger projectiles, I've seen quite a few keyholes through targets, as the rounds can tend to be already tumbling by the time they get there. It's not impossible, though, if you're dead set on accomplishing it, and I've done it in competition, albeit with throated, rifle profile match guns and tailored match loads. But I would personally question my requirement to engage something at 800yds+ with the 5.56 round from a carbine profile gun. Again, it's not impossible, but that's definitely in the, "Fuck. What else have I got in the toolbox," range for me.

You already mentioned White Oaks, which has a great reputation among competition shooters, and Daniel Defense, which rarely strays from the official TDP for the platform. I would also look into BCM and Noveske. YHM, not so much for me.

A while ago, I posted a link to the www.m4carbine.net comparison chart for AR components is a great resource. If you can't find it in the AR thread here (I forget which one), let me know. The chart's originator is also compiling data for a major update to it right now, as well. I would also research your question on the aforementioned site, as I'm sure someone smarter than me has asked/answered it already. As a quick heads up, though, I would perform as exhaustive a search as possible on that site before creating a new thread, as they run a fairly tight ship over there.

www.gandrtactical.com and www.rainierarms.com are both great places to find barrels at decent prices and (mostly) in stock. Grant from G&R in particular is both knowledgeable and a great guy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Centurion Arms (NOT Century Arms, as Google likes to change it to) has a very good rep as well. Their website is a little kludgey, but the guy who owns the business is very helpful (and also a SEAL, for what it's worth). I'm waiting to pull the trigger on one of their barrels as soon as I get my stamp....which seems to be happening sometime in 2013 at the rate I'm going.

Rainier is tops in my book and agree with Gaijin. They also have all the barrels discussed, most of them in stock.