• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Barracks Life"

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
casivac,
You're a Marine, dude. The squad bay is probably the best living the Corps will ever provide for you. You can pick from the Hotel Boeing like KBay said, the Huey Hilton, a 29palms BEQ room with 13 other aircrew, a cot outside because said BEQ was just a bit too cozy, a kerosene-dipped circus tent with no working ac in an Iraq summer (and you're on night crew) or same tent pissing rain water on you during a storm because it isn't weather proof. If you're really lucky, you'll be in an aircraft that has to RON after a Wednesday night gun shoot, and you'll go experience "Pigs in Spaaaaacce!!!" at the combined club.
However, you will realize that these still aren't the worst options out there, and every step of the way, you'll have brothers experiencing it with you, and despite the suck, you'll love it. Having re-read your last post, I saw you were enlisted, so I guess you probably have endured some shitty living. So for those who haven't...enjoy!

Pigs in space never disappoints.

DC3R4D03

or a shelter half in norway,that you are sharing with your patrol,its negative 30,and you're on stag,sipping a hot wet, frost from your teams breathing has collected on the inside of the tent,and you can barely make out on the little tag on the seam that states in germanic script that it was manufactured in hamburg in '43. in the mid 80's the norwegians were still using captured wehrmacht gear,including the lugers the officers carried as sidearms, we still had .45's.old Corps.

DC3R4D03

last squadbay that i was privileged to grace was in bridgeport back in in '85, complete with wood burning stove,during the mountain leaders course, bridgeport back then was wonderfully rustic,and old Corps,complete with an all ranks club/slopshute decorated with black and white pictures dating back to Korea,with good beer dispensed by a salty retired gunny.

MasterBates

Granted it's not USMC, but having spent the night in Hotel Kaman, Sikorsky, Bell and Grumman, I'd go with the Grumman. I can at least lay down on the floor and be inside.

KBayDog

Granted it's not USMC, but having spent the night in Hotel Kaman, Sikorsky, Bell and Grumman, I'd go with the Grumman. I can at least lay down on the floor and be inside.

The trick is to get a small hammock and keep it in your helmet bag for that unexpected, non-per diem stay. The Phrog's non-stroking bench-type pax seats are okay, but stringin up a hammock in the cabin is as close to heaven as you can get in a 45-year old, HAZMAT-infested hotel room.

Or, you can just go Hercs and save yourself the cost of a hammock.

DC3R4D03

back in my freightdog days there was many a freight delay spent with my leather jacket as a pillow in the Hotel Douglas, ala DC3,we used to carry cots,and sleeping bags just for such occasions till the feds got pissed and made us get rid of them,of course as a Marine infantryman I learned to sleep anywhere,and at the drop of a hat,good skills for the on demand air freight biz.

longshot07

LOL, it is not ALL torn down (I am typing on a laptop from here as we speak).... just certain wings.... I think one more company besides us will be "lucky" enough to live in a piece of Corps history.... Imagine no hot water, and every damn pipe leaking (we have buckets under our sinks and under the toilet handle lol), really no space between racks... 5 people in a room designed for 2....and a constant smell of BO mixed with febreeze and morning shits.

But to the OP you will be living in the luxury that is Manion and Haas halls. No moldy walls, a massive head, a place to put all your gear, including built in gear racks and a place for your optics. All things that you will take for granted and still think your life is hard... I want to f'in slap the complainers from Alpha and Bravo companies....they dont understand.... I really regret the day I toured Manion as JOOD.

You forgot about the ever present threat from black mold. You have to appreciate the little things though. Field day was simple at O'Bannon. The place was already a dump so you just needed to get the dust off of everything, clean the head, and hit the the black mold with bleach and primer and looks better then the first day you walked in. Having gone through a winter BOC though your just glad to be out of the snow and in a room where the temp is not in the teens. Plus I was pretty tight with my 5 roomies.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You forgot about the ever present threat from black mold. You have to appreciate the little things though. Field day was simple at O'Bannon. The place was already a dump so you just needed to get the dust off of everything, clean the head, and hit the the black mold with bleach and primer and looks better then the first day you walked in. Having gone through a winter BOC though your just glad to be out of the snow and in a room where the temp is not in the teens. Plus I was pretty tight with my 5 roomies.

We were specifically told not to touch the black mold. So we didn't. Dust, wipe down, vacuum and done in 15 minutes. Easiest field day ever.