• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BAH at Whiting Field

KUJayhawk

What's the story for single ensigns attempting to receive BAH when stationed at Whiting Field (If they didn't originally have follow-on orders)?

BOQ? Whiting Pines? Or can they still live in Pensacola? Thanks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What's the story for single ensigns attempting to receive BAH when stationed at Whiting Field (If they didn't originally have follow-on orders)?

BOQ? Whiting Pines? Or can they still live in Pensacola? Thanks.

I get 1036 as an ENS and share a house with another ENS at whiting pines. I have 612 deducted off my LES every month, so I pocket about 400 bucks of BAH a month, living in whiting pines.

Not sure if they are still forcing people to live in whiting pines or not, since it's pretty full, but I would live here anyway.

gotta_fly

pilot
As of now they're requiring single folks to live in government housing unless a BAH chit is routed through the base XO. They pass out the forms on check in day with instructions, and the word is that anyone who requests it, and doesn't come off like an idiot, gets it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
This whole make you live in Government housing thing as an officer is ridiculous. What is even worse is that if they "don't get around to" paying your advances before your PCS is complete, you have to wait around 30 business days after you turn in your claim to get what is owed.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My beef with this policy is that they force people to live in "government housing" which is actually privately owned and then charge you more than your BAH (if you life by yourself) to live there. I mean how can they force you to live there and then take more than they are paying us for housing. That and the fact that you can live on the economy better and more cheaply than you can live in "government" housing. I wonder who is the head of Balfour...

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
I will be married when I get stationed at Whiting. I arrive about 3 months before I go to IFS in Colorado (AIR FORCE), followed by undergrad training. I'm assuming I will start receiving dependent BAH for the area upon reporting in??

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I'd say it is safe to assume you will be given a housing allowance based on the area stationed at.

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
Let me rephrase...Can I assume I will be given dependant BAH as soon as I report in, or is there some waiting involved. Trying to give my fiancee the details so we can plan at least part of our journey. THANKS

phrogpilot73

Let me rephrase...Can I assume I will be given dependant BAH as soon as I report in, or is there some waiting involved. Trying to give my fiancee the details so we can plan at least part of our journey. THANKS

The minute you go to your version of PSD (with your marriage certificate) and update your info saying you're married, you'll get dependent BAH. Unless she's in the military too.

Rubiks06

pilot
My beef with this policy is that they force people to live in "government housing" which is actually privately owned and then charge you more than your BAH (if you life by yourself) to live there. I mean how can they force you to live there and then take more than they are paying us for housing. That and the fact that you can live on the economy better and more cheaply than you can live in "government" housing. I wonder who is the head of Balfour...

I guess it could be worse they could be forcing you to live int he Q taking all of your BAH and making you live with a room mate. OH THE HUMANITY. Its only a short time, get a roommate and bank some money.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I guess it could be worse they could be forcing you to live int he Q taking all of your BAH and making you live with a room mate. OH THE HUMANITY. Its only a short time, get a roommate and bank some money.

I tried to live in the Q. They looked at me like I had a third eye in my forehead and told me I couldn't. If they are going to force you to live in base housing it shouldn't cost more than your BAH. That and the fact that they are forcing you to be a patron of someones private business is what gets to me.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
As of now they're requiring single folks to live in government housing unless a BAH chit is routed through the base XO. They pass out the forms on check in day with instructions, and the word is that anyone who requests it, and doesn't come off like an idiot, gets it.
is this still true? we were led to believe the opposite, that the XO was blanket denying BAH requests that wern't for the pines with the only possible exception being people who already had leases in pensacola.

gotta_fly

pilot
is this still true? we were led to believe the opposite, that the XO was blanket denying BAH requests that wern't for the pines with the only possible exception being people who already had leases in pensacola.

Sorry for the outdated info, that's what they told us when we checked in. Most of the guys in my class ended up getting their chits denied (contrary to what we were told) a few days after I posted that.