• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BAH at OCS

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I know, I've been doing some digging and haven't found what I've been looking for!

No I do not have dependents. However, I am currently receiving E-4 BAH in Norfolk to pay mortgage for a house me and my girlfriend live in, and was just hoping to continue to receive that BAH while im in OCS and follow on flight training.

That's going to be several years. Are you planning on keeping the GF in Norfolk?

If so, you may want to consider asking her to sign a lease as your tenant and have her start paying the rent, or finding someone else to rent the place while your gone.

If you do want to sell, I can PM you the contact info of a good realtor in the area.

Also it may be worth you calling Newport PSD to see what their stance is because it will largely boil down to how they interpret the regs anyways. Good thing you don't spend much money at OCS either way, but you'll have plenty to spend your money on in flight school.

KAT_AWO

I was concerned that I might not get BAH when I go to OCS because the Navy now considers me "Single" with no dependents. I am an E-6 and widowed. After reading the new instruction, it looks like I will get BAH since I am already receiving it. I was so worried that I would have to figure out how to pay my mortgage without BAH while in OCS. Glad I found this thread! Thanks Guys! :)

rbordenave1989

Yeah me too. I've found the MILPERSMAN that talks about it. As long as your ACC is 341 you're considered TAD while at OCS for entitlement purposes. After OCS though I'm not sure about...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yeah me too. I've found the MILPERSMAN that talks about it. As long as your ACC is 341 you're considered TAD while at OCS for entitlement purposes. After OCS though I'm not sure about...
I went through NUPOC in 2008. I retained BAH during OCS as a single servicemember since I was getting it prior to OCS. The rate went by the detaching area. The orders were written as TAD orders. I don't have any more recent data points, but it was done once upon a time.

Donald Auld

From more recent post's found in other threads, as well as the guidance of my OR non-priors with dependents do receive BAH while at OCS. Does anyone have anything to argue with that or is that how things work now?

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
From more recent post's found in other threads, as well as the guidance of my OR non-priors with dependents do receive BAH while at OCS. Does anyone have anything to argue with that or is that how things work now?
I was a non-prior with dependents at OCS this summer and I received BAH at the rate for my home of record.

swopeful

haze gray is my favorite color.
what if the spouse is active duty and currently is the one receiving BAH?
interesting question, since the navy would typically pay dual active sailors without dependents both at the single rate.. but your spouse wouldn't be a dependent for these purposes, so maybe no BAH?...

but again, interesting...

cacreader

Another question I have for BAH is ...does the OCS BAH work like a "geo-bachelor" ? Meaning if my dependents are in California, and I will get California BAH ?

MR

There is a lot of conflicting information in this thread. What's the deal? Do prior service without dependants continue with there BAH? Does anyone have the regulation for this?

Brett Collins

PRO-REC-Y 1830 - Mar 2015
There is a lot of conflicting information in this thread. What's the deal? Do prior service without dependants continue with there BAH? Does anyone have the regulation for this?

A lot of this information is wrong or outdated. If you are a prior service OCS candidate and were receiving BAH prior to departing to OCS, you will continue to receive your BAH. I don't have a regulation; however, I believe it was passed in 2012. I was told by most on this forum I would not receive BAH and student control personnel also told me I would have my BAH taken away. This is not the case for priors. I just graduated this past October, and I received my BAH for the entirety of my stay and continued to receive it while on OHARP. Most of the information you will get passed will be regarding non-priors and individuals with dependents. Everyone that was a prior in my class, kept their BAH, dependents or not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of this information is wrong or outdated. If you are a prior service OCS candidate and were receiving BAH prior to departing to OCS, you will continue to receive your BAH. I don't have a regulation; however, I believe it was passed in 2012. I was told by most on this forum I would not receive BAH and student control personnel also told me I would have my BAH taken away. This is not the case for priors. I just graduated this past October, and I received my BAH for the entirety of my stay and continued to receive it while on OHARP. Most of the information you will get passed will be regarding non-priors and individuals with dependents. Everyone that was a prior in my class, kept their BAH, dependents or not.
This makes sense to me now. What kind of orders did you get for OCS? Was OCS an intermediate stop on PCS orders? If so, what was listed as your ultimate duty station?

Brett Collins

PRO-REC-Y 1830 - Mar 2015
Yea, OCS orders for Active side are all interim/TDY. So you can expect to get your BAS to be taken, but that should be obvious as you are getting housed and fed. In 2012, they put an amendment in the rules that highlighted that Active Duty service members without dependents will retain their BAH, as they aren't given any allowance to move their HHG. To be fair to the site, the misinformation doesn't stem only here, but also from the Student Control personnel at OCS, who told me multiple times I should not get my BAH - I then spoke to PSD and they said to just ignore them, as I was entitled to it.

OCS was a TDY / Intermediate Training, but on my original orders I had no follow on. I assume they do that due to the amount of candidates that go on HOLD and how the detailer for your designator hasn't actually cut any orders for you. As far as I remember, my orders were Temporary and very similar to a Training TDY. Once I got to Candio phase they cut me some orders for my Ultimate Duty, which then showed OCS as an intermediate stop, followed on by my ultimate, Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course in Virginia Beach.

Hope this information helps, as I can remember reading this thread and leaving somewhat unsure back in July of this year.