• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BAH and Barracks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Let's forget about Academy guys for a minute, as that whole process is different...

Um…really swimming out of my lane here...but if there is some sort of "special good deal" for newly-commissioned Ensigns who were "prior enlisted" versus "just hired off the street"…I'd be very disappointed.

I really think the "good deal clock" gets zeroed when you do that swearing-in thingie. Except, of course, for total time served and some other stuff, but I hope it doesn't apply to much else, like "head of the line" at the Commissary or preferred housing treatment.

Historically, enlisted with no break in service (ie, sent to the IRR for a commissioning program) have benefited much more so than a brand new "O-1 with zero." They would get a PCS move from their source (if ROTC) when "regular" Ensigns wouldn't. They also rolled with additional time-in-service for doing the same thing the "regular" Ensign did for the same amount of time. There were a few more small benefits I remember seeing, but I don't recall the details now.

Nowadays, everyone in ROTC that's prior is STA-21 and active, so I'm not sure if the good deals kept flowing. STA-21 started up after I left, so I defer to more recent graduates. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if their Commissioning Orders are different than a brand new, non-prior Ensign.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Until 2010, time in STA-21 counted towards retirement (HAHA bitches), but they canxd that good deal. Each year in STA-21 counts towards longevity however, so even the more recent graduates still enjoy the pay raises every two years. We remain active duty and continue receiving all pay and benefits.

STA-21 is a PCS duty station, so once commissioned we just PCS to Primary with a TAD stop at API. It's no different than any other set of active duty transfer orders.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
STA-21 is a PCS duty station, so once commissioned we just PCS to Primary with a TAD stop at API. It's no different than any other set of active duty transfer orders.

Any idea what kind of orders the "regular" Ensigns get now? They didn't used to get all the same PCS privileges on their initial set of appointment orders (DLA being the big one).

By the way, when said "PCS" in my post above, I was being inaccurate. What I meant to say was that they didn't get all the same PCS privileges that an active prior got (like an ECP) on a set of appointment orders.

Renegade One

None
Let's forget about Academy guys for a minute, as that whole process is different...

Historically, enlisted with no break in service (ie, sent to the IRR for a commissioning program) have benefited much more so than a brand new "O-1 with zero." They would get a PCS move from their source (if ROTC) when "regular" Ensigns wouldn't. They also rolled with additional time-in-service for doing the same thing the "regular" Ensign did for the same amount of time. There were a few more small benefits I remember seeing, but I don't recall the details now.

Nowadays, everyone in ROTC that's prior is STA-21 and active, so I'm not sure if the good deals kept flowing. STA-21 started up after I left, so I defer to more recent graduates. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if their Commissioning Orders are different than a brand new, non-prior Ensign.
Good info. I admit that much of the "STA-21/unbroken active service stuff" post-dates my knowledge base. Thanks. Whatever "bennies" the priors have, or continue to receive, are well-earned and fully justified. Thanks.

Honest question: "Prior Enlisted" NAs/NFOs were not all that common in my day…can I assume that the various options avail nowadays have produced a significantly higher percentage? Can anyone put a number on that? Just curious...

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
I can't put a number on it, but on my first DET, all but one officer were prior enlisted, second det had OIC, one HAC, one H2P prior. Current tour 3/5 super JO's are prior, 2 or 3/7 O-4's are prior, maybe another 5 or so other LT/LTJG's are prior. Sounds typical of our community

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I can't put a number on it, but on my first DET, all but one officer were prior enlisted, second det had OIC, one HAC, one H2P prior. Current tour 3/5 super JO's are prior, 2 or 3/7 O-4's are prior, maybe another 5 or so other LT/LTJG's are prior. Sounds typical of our community

We have a grand total of one prior, not including the 'pounders. Can't say that's particularly atypical.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Um…really swimming out of my lane here...but if there is some sort of "special good deal" for newly-commissioned Ensigns who were "prior enlisted" versus "just hired off the street"…I'd be very disappointed.

I really think the "good deal clock" gets zeroed when you do that swearing-in thingie. Except, of course, for total time served and some other stuff, but I hope it doesn't apply to much else, like "head of the line" at the Commissary or preferred housing treatment.

There absolutely was when I went through in the '08 timeframe. It wasn't because they were priors, but it was due to the wording of their orders, vs the rest of us. Basically, guys coming from STA-21 (or OCS too maybe?) were getting TAD per diem on top of BAH for the time they were in A-pool, API, all the way until primary. I'm not an admin person, so I don't know the actual details, but I know it got chopped off about the time I checked in at NASP, and there were some unhappy souls who had to pay back like 5-10k in pay that wasn't legally theirs. Maybe someone on here knows the details, as I can no longer remember them......and maybe they can tighten up any inaccuracies in the above recollection. It was a minor big deal to the API crowd at that point though.

Johny0nThaSp0t

pilot
Priors do not get anything special except for O-XE pay. If you're concerned about your specific situation before you get to PCola, call the units admin shop. You're not the first guy to have this question, OP. When it comes to admin and TMO questions, everyone has an opinion but only one is usually correct. Take what you heard here and ask the admin/ TMO guru.

I mention TMO because when you check out of API and want to move your fam, a "home of record" along with your PPMove will get tricky.