• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BAH and Barracks

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
While in API, and flight school will I receive BAH if I am staying in the barracks, since I'm married? Or will still have to find a place out in town?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you're married (or single generally for Officers), you rate BAH to live in town.

If you're trying to do the Geo Bachelor thing where you're family stays behind at another duty station and you live in the BOQ, I've seen that approved on a case by case basis, usually for prior Enlisted.

jtmedli

pilot
If you're trying to do the Geo Bachelor thing where you're family stays behind at another duty station and you live in the BOQ, I've seen that approved on a case by case basis, usually for prior Enlisted.

A guy from OCS class Geo-bached it up during API. FYI to the OP, when I was there the BOQ at Pcola was pretty much full so everyone had to stay out in town. You just walked over there to get your "no lodging available" stamp and then smartly go about getting a condo on the beach.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If married, yes. But you will receive the Pensacola rate no matter where your spouse lives.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you're married (or single generally for Officers), you rate BAH to live in town.

You don't get 'approved' to geo bach. If you are a voluntary geobachelor (you have PCS orders and elect to not move the fam), you must pay the cost of staying in the BOQ or apt in addition to affording your family's dwelling. An apt is generally the cheaper option.

If you are a non-voluntary geobachelor (TAD/TDY), you get BAH from your permanent duty station plus per diem to pay for BOQ/hotel.

It depends on the orders you have. To my knowledge you can't get per diem "approved" when on PCS orders.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you're gonna 'bad gouge' my post, at least have the courtesy to correct it. Just dealt with it a ton, including a Chief who got a multi-thousand dollar bill when PCS'ing when PSD found out he was a voluntary geobachelor staying in the Navy Gateway for free.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're gonna 'bad gouge' my post, at least have the courtesy to correct it. Just dealt with it a ton, including a Chief who got a multi-thousand dollar bill when PCS'ing when PSD found out he was a voluntary geobachelor staying in the Navy Gateway for free.

I'm guessing the issue is that Schools Command =/= the Real Navy and it's rules.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't say schools command enforces these specific rules any differently than the real navy, but the situations can vary because it's the first permanent duty station for a lot of people. I've never heard of voluntary/non-voluntary PCS. If you're eligible for BAH, you get it for your duty station no matter where your family lives. Staying in the Gateway for free isn't the same as staying in the BOQ, and that's where your Chief buddy went wrong. The best source for this information is the housing office at your new command considering different bases handle things differently based on housing availability and average number of transient personnel.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I wouldn't say schools command enforces these specific rules any differently than the real navy, but the situations can vary because it's the first permanent duty station for a lot of people. I've never heard of voluntary/non-voluntary PCS. If you're eligible for BAH, you get it for your duty station no matter where your family lives. Staying in the Gateway for free isn't the same as staying in the BOQ, and that's where your Chief buddy went wrong. The best source for this information is the housing office at your new command considering different bases handle things differently based on housing availability and average number of transient personnel.
I think that you misunderstood my post.

An Officer rates BAH. If you are staying in base housing you still collect BAH, but then pay the full amount to housing.

That is not the same as voluntary or involuntary geobachelor. Both collect BAH at the assigned permanent duty station. The latter ALSO gets per diem to pay for hotel (Navy Gateway/lodge if available) and food. The former has to figure out how to afford two places without that added money.

If you have PCS orders and choose not to execute the move that the Navy will pay for, you are a voluntary geobachelor. You can't go to the BOQ and stay for free because you didn't feel like moving the fam in your PCS move -- well, you apparently can, but if it's not authorized in your orders you are rolling the dice. If you are on orders and not authorized to move the fam (typically TAD orders), you are an involuntary geobachelor. I don't know which type of orders API are, but those are the 'choices' available. If OP's plan is to leave the fam in some other location while on PCS orders to flight school, then he's going to have to figure out how to afford two places to live without any extra pay/allowances for it.

The Gateway was the BOQ/BEQ at this base. The CMC "hooked up" some Chiefs who didn't rate the stay and PSD finally caught on when reviewing move paperwork. Some were married and were going to try to play for PCS orders back where homeport originally was, others were divorced, didn't rate the change of homeport move, didn't rate a stay at the Gateway due to being single, and couldn't afford to carry the house and an apartment, nor could they afford to move their HHG on their own dime.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
You don't get 'approved' to geo bach. .

When I was the AO at JRB Fort Worth circa 2005-07...

We had an instruction that detailed how to request Geobachelor status. The base CO would look at each case individually and, depending on the case and the Q's occupancy, would approve/disapprove the request. The approved request was forwarded to the member and PSD so the member could live in the Q and still receive BAH (not pay/owe for the room). It was only granted in hardship cases, not just because you didn't want to move your family.

Here is a copy of an (possibly old) NASCC instruction for the same just to show as an example. It reads much like the NAS JRB Fort Worth instruction I remember

http://iwusnucmcms.fe-works.com/nav...ti/documents/document/nascc_inst_11103.5A.pdf

So.....it is something that can be "approved" but only in hardship cases.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So to answer the OP, yes...you can geo-batch. People do it all the time. Call the housing office for specific info.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Sepikko, I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying the specifics FlyBoyd is giving are the current truth in the NAVAIR TRACOM. Almost always up to the individual base COs to approve/disapprove.

Renegade One

None
Does that include non-priors as well? I was told I wouldn't get BAH or DLA until my ultimate, since NASP is technically an i-stop.
Um…really swimming out of my lane here...but if there is some sort of "special good deal" for newly-commissioned Ensigns who were "prior enlisted" versus "just hired off the street"…I'd be very disappointed.

I really think the "good deal clock" gets zeroed when you do that swearing-in thingie. Except, of course, for total time served and some other stuff, but I hope it doesn't apply to much else, like "head of the line" at the Commissary or preferred housing treatment.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Does that include non-priors as well? I was told I wouldn't get BAH or DLA until my ultimate, since NASP is technically an i-stop.

You'll get BAH while in PCola. That part has nothing to do with prior/nonprior. You won't get DLA or get a govt move until your orders to Primary are cut. Those are PCS orders. Yes I realize this is stupid, but that's the way it is.

For R One, priors who didn't have a break in service went TDY to OCS (unaccompanied in Newport) with follow on to Whiting. Some took the option of staying in the Q at PCola/Whiting/Corpus/etc instead of moving their family again for flight school. I knew a few folks who did it.