• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad Day Refueling

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
What's the fuel flow rate when you tank?

Somewhere between 1000- 2500 pounds per minute for a hornet. Sometimes one guy will get in the basket and get almost 2000+ pounds per minute flow, while the next guy won't quite get a perfect connection, but still be in the basket, and only get 1000 pounds per minute. I only know this because I was watching from inside the tanker on a trans-pac leg. When you are flying in the receiver you really can't tell the exact flow rate. I think the DCO guys who plan the movements use a 1000 pounds per minute flow rate for planning.

When using the boom method, I believe the flow rates are something like 3000-5000 pounds per minute because of the larger diameter.

I have also heard from an eagle pilot that they have this pretty cool auto-pilot type system that flies them to 100' in trail and 50' low on the tanker once they get lock-on. It was a buddy's dad who told me about it, so they must have had it for a long time.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
5000 pounds per minute is what we usually plan on. That is great when you are taking 10K of practice gas, but seems like an eternity when you are taking 80K of "we need to stay airborne" gas. Of course, all we ever do is practice for Armageddon anyway, it ain't like we are out there saving lives.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No helmet? I think Harrier Dude may take issue with that...
No helmet? Hell, we had a (famous/infamous) Mig-killer guy who often took off his helmet and donned a Halloween gorilla mask before he tanked.

Our airwing tanker guys eventually got used to it - since CAG laughed at their complaints - but it drove the rare Air Force tanker chimps......... shall we say, bananas!

gorrilla.jpg

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
This was A.L.F. flying an A-4E over the Fallon Ranges back in the late '80's. Poor quality....old school Kodachrome slide.
I wonder how much money photoshop would have saved the military from mishaps occuring while trying to take a great picture back in the day...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how much money photoshop would have saved the military from mishaps occuring while trying to take a great picture back in the day...

With that attitude, you'll have your TRA Black Belt in no time.

MasterBates

No (TM) mark.

HD will be over shortly to collect his fee, or break your kneecaps. Or maybe just red stripe your jets. In the name of safety of course.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
No (TM) mark.

HD will be over shortly to collect his fee, or break your kneecaps. Or maybe just red stripe your jets. In the name of safety of course.

I will have my lawyers contact you shortly, re: trademark infringement.

Squeeze should get partial credit seeing as he was a new guy on the cruise that finally gave me the epiphany of taking ORM to the next logical level.

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
275 or so off strat tanking and 230 or so on Hercs. Our probe limit is 300, and I would assume that the basket itself has some limit as well. It seems logical that the boom method could work at higher speeds, but doesn't necessarily need to.

250 is the max on our basket