• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad Bad News

IT1toOfficer

Class 0606!!! New Ensigns!!! (as of Jan27th)
Just found out from Jeff (application processor) that I didn’t make Supply. I was Non-Select.

There’s many reason why I probably didn’t get it, but I’d hate to think it’s because put it #3. I was told by the Community manager a week ago that they look down on packages that put them #3, but I didn’t believe that was true. Who knows it might be something else like My OAR. But Jeff says that’s good compared to others that have been selected for supply. Not great, but not bad.

Here are my stats!!!

Rate: IT1(SW)
Time in service: 6.5 years
Applying for: (Had crypto #1 but thinking about the chance to command someday has really got to me and that’s why I swapped it around)
1. SWO – No – No quotas not sent to board.
2. Crypto – Still waiting
3. Supply – Non- Select – Jeff said he doesn’t know why.

I’m 25 years old
OAR – 48
PRT – Excellent – 10:18 Run, 84 situps, 78 Pushups
Current Position – Leading Petty Officer of 64 E-6 and below
Degree – 3.71 Information Technology (Took 2 Algebra classes and that was my only math. I didn’t take physics)

Awards

- Commendation Medal
- 2004 NETWARCOM SAILOR OF THE YEAR (Echelon 2)
- 2004 NNSOC SAILOR OF THE YEAR (Echelon 3)
- 2004 NCTAMS EUROPEAN SAILOR OF THE YEAR
- 2004 NCTAMS SAILOR OF THE YEAR
- 3 NAMS
- 2 LOC’s
- 1 Meritorious Mast
- 1 LOA

Top of Class in Radioman “A” school
16 Correspondence courses (5 Business ones)

Extracurricular Activities:

Asst. Command DAPA
Tee-Ball Coach
Command Softball Team
Command MWR treasurer
Intramural Flag football team captain\coach
High School Baseball Coach
Volunteered this past year over 30hours at elementary school
Command Assessment team
Command Readiness Training Team

Previous applied to STA-21 and was a non select
I have a TOP SECRET clearance

Great recommendation from CO – She said I was the best sailor she’s seen in 25 years.

No financial problems of any kind
No NJP or anything (Never been counseled)

1 Supply Captain – All 10’s (Great write up) I liked this part especially “In my 25 years I have served with many officers. Few presented the positive motivation and maturity that would enable him to make the hard decisions necessary that Petty Officer Jensen displayed during the interview. In my opinion, his positive potential is unlimited.”

1 Intel Captain – All 10’s (Great write up)
2 SWO CDR’s – All 10’s (Great write ups)

Last EVAL
November of 2004 - 4.86; #1 of 76 first classes
November of 2003 – 4.43 EP
March 2003 – 3.86 MP (First at new command)
March 2002 – 4.43 EP

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like fast track to ITC to me.
Perhaps look at an LDO program.
But at the least re-apply next year.

KBayDog

I think the most impressive stat is:

IT1(SW) and 25 years old

That stat alone tells me that you are doing SOMETHING right, and that you are young enough to keep applying. Don't let this bring you down.

(When I first applied to MECEP, I was a very, very young sergeant who thought I was kicking butt and taking names (with stats comparable to yours), but the board decided that I wasn't kicking and taking enough. I was down for an afternoon, then devoted the next 364 days to kicking more butt and taking more names. I was accepted on my second try. BTW, my best friend - who had better stats than either of us - needed FIVE ATTEMPTS...FIVE YEARS...to get accepted.)

Bottom line: Keep pressin'.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
I think the most impressive stat is:

IT1(SW) and 25 years old

That stat alone tells me that you are doing SOMETHING right, and that you are young enough to keep applying. Don't let this bring you down.

(When I first applied to MECEP, I was a very, very young sergeant who thought I was kicking butt and taking names (with stats comparable to yours), but the board decided that I wasn't kicking and taking enough. I was down for an afternoon, then devoted the next 364 days to kicking more butt and taking more names. I was accepted on my second try. BTW, my best friend - who had better stats than either of us - needed FIVE ATTEMPTS...FIVE YEARS...to get accepted.)

Bottom line: Keep pressin'.
Concur - it took me three tries and two consecutive SOYs, but you're still in the running for Crypto, right? Seems like it's right up your alley being an IT and all.

Brett

Navybeav

Supply Corps Interview

I had two interviews today for my supply corps package. The first went well; however, at the end of my 2nd interview, the interviewer told me that not having a degree in business (mine's in speech communications) or enough business classes (accounting, marketing, et al.) would strongly hinder my chances at supply corps.

Don't know if this guy knew what he was talking about. Have you or anybody else heard about this?

I've never heard that until now, so I'm questioning the validity.

astrov99

NOT a flyboy
Crypto? What's Cryrypto boys? Last time I checked our name had been changed to "Information Warfare Officer." At least the title is a more accurate description of the job then Crypto, which is deceiving.

IT1. I would say you have a great chance at Crypto. The reason I say this is because your stats are across the board more impressive than mine, and I got picked up 1st time around. Now a big reason may be because I worked in the community as an enlisted, and had certain well-respected O's in the 1610 community who endorsed my package. It's a small, disgustingly incestous community we have here.

But, in the end, it all depends on how many billets the Navy needs to fill. If there are only 2 or 3 remaining slots for this FY, all of a sudden the selection becomes very competitive. By the flip side of the coin, if they have more positions than thay do applicants, the bar is lowered considerably. So, a good chunk of "selection" unfortunately has nothing to do with how qualified of an applicant you are...but also on that ***** of a thing that we call luck.

In summary, all I will say that is if you DON'T get selected, it's not because you can't hack it as an IW/1610 officer. With your attitude and accolades I see no reason why someone would think you couldn't. All it means is that it was a bad year. In other words, keep charging hard and re-submitting that package and you will be an officer, absolutely no doubt in my mind.

The only possible obstacle I could possibly see is your length of service. Alot of IW officers are prior enlisted, alot who are picked up have around (or over) 10 years in. This has created kind of a vaccuum at the O-5/O-6 level because alot plan on retiring once they hit twenty. So the IW community is really trying to pick up either people with not as much time in (I had 5 when I got picked up) or with none at all. The supposed wisdom of this is that they will get more "mileage" out of these candidates: 15-20 years as opposed to 10 or less. So the best advice I could give you for IW is to keep your applications coming in. You have 6.5 years, you're approaching a time frame that the community managers might consider a "risky" investment.

But hopefully this is all for naught, and you'll be getting your acceptance letter tommorow. Let's keep a little optimism :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
astrov99 said:
Crypto? What's Cryrypto boys? Last time I checked our name had been changed to "Information Warfare Officer." At least the title is a more accurate description of the job then Crypto, which is deceiving.
Well, considering that deception is a subtenet of IW, that makes perfect sense.

fredolipo

astrov99 is right and thanks for posting such a clever message on airwarriors.com .

I was selected on my first try being in the Navy for only a very short time. Keep pushing it. As soon as you apply for OCS you know you have what it takes to make it happen otherwise you wouldn't spend the time and effort when you know what it takes to prepare a package when you are in the enlisted community. Please don't give up!

Good luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Record for E to O apps must be the medical recuriter from the command I support. He was a Corpsman who applied five times for OCS. Finally made it into MSC as a Hospital Administrator. Keep trying.

twidget

Deskaholic
wink said:
Record for E to O apps must be the medical recuriter from the command I support. He was a Corpsman who applied five times for OCS. Finally made it into MSC as a Hospital Administrator. Keep trying.
At least I mixed it up a little for variety:

2 Seaman-to-Admiral Apps
3 LDO Apps (4th submitted, but not considered due to OCS selection)
1 OCS App :)
6 Total

OK, so what do I win? Oh yeah....I got a commission. :D