• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Backup jobs, summers, swimming, and majors.

OdeToArsenal47

First off, I'd like to say that if I go the NROTC route, I'll probably go to Memphis, seeing as it's in state and I probably won't get a scholarship before joining.

Now, just curious, what were your backups beside aviation and what were your thoughts on the other jobs?

My other question is regarding summers. I notice that there's CORTRAMID, 2/c, and 1/c cruises during the summer. I don't want to sound like I'm wimping out, but is there any way to get out of or reschedule CORTRAMID at least? You see, I'm wanting to do Drum Corps in college and it takes up your entire summer from the end of may to mid-August. Is there any way I could do both?

Thirdly, I noticed that there are swimming tests during orientation. How good do you have to be at swimming to pass these? I won't drown or anything, but I'm no David Hasselhoff.

And finally, would it be okay for me to major in Architecture while in NROTC?

Thanks for the answers guys.

Inexorable

Sitting in Purgatory
It has been a bit since I was NROTC, and I'm a nobody at the moment, but I can take a shot for at least two of your questions.

For the swim test, the 3rd class "minimum" test is jumping from approximately 10 to 15 feet up, swimming 50 meters any way you can, and treading water for 5 minutes.

As per majors, major in what you want to major in. If you major in Computer Science, but hate being a code-monkey in a cubicle or hate computers, you're going to hate life. So choose what you want to do. You won't be in the Navy forever, and God-forbid you don't make, you'll have something to fall back on. I know an Art major who the Navy selected for aviation, a Poli Sci major with aviation, hell, a History major who picked up Nuke. Do what you enjoy learning about and doing.

If I've given some bad gouge, please correct me.

navy09

None
Now, just curious, what were your backups beside aviation and what were your thoughts on the other jobs?

Do a search and see the NROTC website. It lays out the basic info for all the communities.

My other question is regarding summers...

Since you're not going in with a scholarship, you won't go to CORTRAMID. Problem solved for this summer. Assuming you pick a scholarship up later, the cruises are only 3-4 weeks, I still had a summer job.

How good do you have to be at swimming to pass these?

Not very. If you can swim, you'll pass at least as a 3rd Class Swimmer (lowest).

And finally, would it be okay for me to major in Architecture while in NROTC?

Uh, technically, yes. Many architecture programs are 5 years which you can do, but could be frowned upon (especially since it's not a technical major). Also, under the new system, you'll have a harder time picking up a scholarship without a technical major.

Since you're not going in with a scholarship, you won't go to CORTRAMID. Problem solved for this summer.

Can't your first year adviser swap out your 2nd Class Cruise for CORTAMID if you pick up a 3-year? That's that they told us anyway.

navy09

None
Can't your first year adviser swap out your 2nd Class Cruise for CORTAMID if you pick up a 3-year? That's that they told us anyway.

Ah, you're right. I meant that since he's not coming in w/a scholarship, he won't go on a training cruise this summer.

If you really want to sit in Norfolk/SD for 4 weeks, go for it. I skipped CORTRAMID and got a 2/c cruise to Australia and Japan...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ah, you're right. I meant that since he's not coming in w/a scholarship, he won't go on a training cruise this summer.

If you really want to sit in Norfolk/SD for 4 weeks, go for it. I skipped CORTRAMID and got a 2/c cruise to Australia and Japan...

How were you able to get out of sCORTRAMID? Unless you were college programmer or had a valid academic/medical reason, you're going.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If you aren't on scholarship when you join the unit, you wont be going on cruise that summer. As soon as you get picked up for scholarship, you'll be doing the required cruises the following summers. I managed to have summer jobs around them....but not something that took the whole summer. If your drum corps thing is from may to mid august.....it probably wont work out. The end of the cruise window is in August.

Don't worry about the swim part, treading water might be the toughest thing for you.

navy09

None
How were you able to get out of sCORTRAMID? Unless you were college programmer or had a valid academic/medical reason, you're going.

Ya, I was a college programmer who picked up a 3-yr scholarship. As CWJones was pointing out, people in my situation generally can pick between the "enlisted cruise" and CORTRAMID for their 2/C summer. Most choose CORTRAMID; for me, I'm happy I did the normal 2/C cruise.