• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Backing out of AF OTS to pursue Navy.

graduatechunk

So I posted not too long ago on my situation (https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...ts-commission-for-navy-ocs.43043/#post-816136)

Initially I said I was going to stick with my RPA spot with the AF, but after a ton thought, I made what feels like the hardest decision I've ever had to make - I'm going to back out of my AF OTS slot to pursue SNA/NFO with the Navy.

Came down to simply realizing that flying is what I want to do and while I still have the chance to make it happen, I'm going to try my best to do so. I also would not want to accept a job from the military, report to said branch, and not be all in when I got there.

My biggest concern as of now is how the board will view me backing out of my DEP contract. I am hoping I can work with my recruiter to convey this to the board the best way possible. Also hoping high enough ASTB scores will help as well :).

I'm excited to get started again in pursuit of the dream. Got a long road ahead but I'm ready for it. Also looking forward to getting to know you guys on here as well.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Seems like there's always an Army or Air Force post every few months...

Do some searching on here and you'll find some similar threads and posts going on.

As for your chances, knock the astb out of the park and you might have a shot. Also, be ready to mention why you're passing up an opportunity to serve as an officer in the Air Force. I'll help you out, don't mention aviation. The navy is looking for officers first, job second.

AJOaks

Crazy thing is, I am actually in a similar situation. I was selected for both RPA in the Air Force and SWO in the Navy. It took me a few months to make my choice, but I went with the Navy over the Air Force. Crazy thing is, I am enlisted in the Air Force right now until I get released from my unit.

I wish you the best in your career!

Jester24

Same here graduatechunk. I had a CSO slot in the AF and declined at the last minute for the same reasons you posted above. Definitely the hardest decisions I've ever made to abandon a sure thing to go for the the pilot slot that was far from guaranteed. It paid off for me though. Luckily I had a lot of experience as a flight instructor which helped. But in my personal statement I made sure to present myself as more of a leader than as a pilot applicant. Like Rufio said, leadership first then flying.
You've already proven that you're willing to go through mountains of redundant processes and paperwork in order to peruse your goal which I can only assume they take into consideration. Just present the best possible officer candidate you can and forget everything else. If it's what you want don't let anyone sway you from it. I got tons of mixed opinions when I mentioned my decision and it only made things more stressful so my suggestion is to keep it close to home... Family and a few close friends(if you haven't already) because those are the ones that'll support you. I ultimately went for it because I'd rather fail for the wrong effort than the lack of effort, but that's just me. Hope it helps.

Any questions just PM me and I'll be more than happy to discuss my experience with you. Best of luck!!

ryan1234

I'll just chime in real fast. I had a similar dilemma, but stuck with the AF slot... and I'm now a WSO in the F-15E flying out of England. It's a really awesome job and we get to do a lot of really awesome stuff: For example, today I flew 5.7 hours with 2 hot pits (refueling while one motor is running). Our first sortie we did Close Air Support (CAS) with JTACs, the second sortie we did Dynamic Targeting (DT) when you get digital taskings (and other types of taskings) to drop iron on things, the third sortie we did low flying (500' at 450-550 knots) through Scotland. Monday, I flew 5.6 hours and did Offensive Counter Air (OCA) and SAT (combo of air to air and air to ground for an ingress to drop on multiple targets in a non-permissive environment with GBU-54s, GBU-39s, and GBU-31s. At least in the F-15E community there is a lot of flying to be had!

At least two WSOs in the past four months in our squadron are going to fly EA-18Gs.

Having said all of that, it's your career choice - so do what you really want to do (and don't drown in the whole officer first, job second debate)

Ralph

I'll just chime in real fast. I had a similar dilemma, but stuck with the AF slot... and I'm now a WSO in the F-15E flying out of England. It's a really awesome job and we get to do a lot of really awesome stuff: For example, today I flew 5.7 hours with 2 hot pits (refueling while one motor is running). Our first sortie we did Close Air Support (CAS) with JTACs, the second sortie we did Dynamic Targeting (DT) when you get digital taskings (and other types of taskings) to drop iron on things, the third sortie we did low flying (500' at 450-550 knots) through Scotland. Monday, I flew 5.6 hours and did Offensive Counter Air (OCA) and SAT (combo of air to air and air to ground for an ingress to drop on multiple targets in a non-permissive environment with GBU-54s, GBU-39s, and GBU-31s. At least in the F-15E community there is a lot of flying to be had!

At least two WSOs in the past four months in our squadron are going to fly EA-18Gs.

Having said all of that, it's your career choice - so do what you really want to do (and don't drown in the whole officer first, job second debate)

You don't sound like the rest of the guys on baseops or airlinepilotforum ;)