• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Back when SF Fleet Week was cool

Lonestar155

is good to go
I bet not too many of you have seen a cat shot, ((from this vantage point)). I'll never forget the SF Fleet Week a couple years back when CVN-?? launched 4 hornets off in the San Francisco Bay. Check out this picture..

Attachments

• fleet_week_2.jpg
    fleet_week_2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 284

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days, the City Council would accuse the Navy of trying to intimidate the the city by launching "mock airstrikes."

CTT1 D

ENS D
^
CVN 68 2006 Fleet Week

Here's a short video I shot of a touch n go in the bay. It was a clear day so you can see the Golden Gate bridge behind us and Alcatraz off of the port bow.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
I bet not too many of you have seen a cat shot, some couple hundred yards away. I'll never forget the SF Fleet Week a couple years back when CVN-?? launched 4 hornets off in the San Francisco Bay. Check out this picture..

That was USS NIMITZ (CVN 68) in Oct 2006.

yak52driver

Contributor
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but have they banned doing this in the SF Bay? All I know about SF is what I've read here and on another aviation site that the city council (or some such group) didn't want the Blues to fly in the airshow. Heck, that would be awesome to watch! Thanks.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
The city council has been trying to ban the blues from SF for years. Unfortunately, most people in the city enjoy the show, and the city benefits from the increased tourism (and bridge tolls) during fleet week.

One of the solos flew right over fisherman's wharf at ~ 400-500 feet during the thursday practice: B-A-D--A-S-S!

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I was there for that year. Missed the cat shots, but did get to ride out to the Nimitz with a few guys from 3rd Fleet. Red Bull was there that year too. Are they still bringing full CSGs up? I remember hearing that starting on 07 they had stopped due in part to political stuff.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I bet not too many of you have seen a cat shot, some couple hundred yards away. I'll never forget the SF Fleet Week a couple years back when CVN-?? launched 4 hornets off in the San Francisco Bay. Check out this picture..

LOL, you bet many of us have never seen a cat shot a couple hundred yards away?? Nice.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I thought birds needed a significant amount of wind down the pipe to launch...were they steaming in the bay during flight ops?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but have they banned doing this in the SF Bay? All I know about SF is what I've read here and on another aviation site that the city council (or some such group) didn't want the Blues to fly in the airshow. Heck, that would be awesome to watch! Thanks.

The city council has been trying to ban the blues from SF for years. Unfortunately, most people in the city enjoy the show, and the city benefits from the increased tourism (and bridge tolls) during fleet week.

One of the solos flew right over fisherman's wharf at ~ 400-500 feet during the thursday practice: B-A-D--A-S-S!
The SF city council and Mayor do not have the power to ban anyone from any airspace or the bay. That power rest with the federal government. (FAA and Coast Guard for civilian aircraft and ships.) For the military, it is policy to abide by the FARs/FAA, etc, to the greatest extent possible but the military can basically blow them off if the commanders decide they need to.

Many years back, then SF Mayor Diane Feinstein actually called the highest navy Admiral she could get hold of in the area and "ordered" him to "get the Blue Angels out of HER airspace immediately". He politely told her it was the FAA's airspace and to pound sand.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I thought birds needed a significant amount of wind down the pipe to launch...were they steaming in the bay during flight ops?
Depends on type of aircraft, weight, etc. When I was on the TR, we launched S-3s while anchored.

A light F-18, 10 kts of wind, 5-7 kts CVN speed steaming into the wind, after burner for the cat shot - probably no problem. But this is just my vague memory from driving the TR years ago.

Huggy Bear

pilot
The bay can get very windy, especially in the afternoon. They must have had enough natural wind over the deck. Maybe they light loaded the jets too.